Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Change vivitar FD mount lens to K mount?

I bought 2 Vivitar lenses (400mm f5.6 and the series 1 70-210mm f3.5 macro(kiron) ) on impulse and they turned out to be Canon FD mount.

After googling, I realize there is no adapter for FD to K mount.

My theory is that the lens must be mostly the same and they just put different mounts on them for each camera system.

What I am wondering about is there a way to remove the FD mount portion and install a K mount on the lens instead?

Thanks,
-Mark

09-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #2

I have a series 1 70-210 f3.5 in pentax-k mount, and on that lens the rear element is almost as far back as the bayonet itself. Due to the shorter flange focus distance for FD I would suspect that either the back end of the lens (the bayonet-part) is longer for FD or, that a different lens element is used to give correct focus. If you have a photo of it (the rear end) I could compare it to the one I have. I guess it might require quite a bit of work to actually convert it to p-k.

I've also had a Vivitar 400mm/5.6 and there seems to be a lot of versions of that particular lens. A lot of them were made by Tokina (serial number 77xx?). Mine had an interhangeable tx-mount similar to the Tamron adaptall. I think in fact a lot of the 400/5.6 lenses were tx-mount. You can check out Rick Oleson's page for a photo of what it looks like: SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

If your lens is a tx, you'll be able to find a suitable pentax-k adaptor for it. If it's a fixed fd-mount I don't think it will be worth the effort to convert it. I've had several generations of these lenses, up to my current Tokina AT-X AF, and to be honest, the older variants were not among the sharpest out there. The green(!) Vivitar I had was not nearly as sharp as the later models, and the manual focus Tokina had a really bad (3-4 pixels)purple fringing/CA.
09-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you would be better of selling the FD mount lenses or better yet returning them if they were listed wrong.
09-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
you would be better of selling the FD mount lenses or better yet returning them if they were listed wrong.
Yeah, reselling is probably the best bet, but these lenses don't carry much value when FD mount.

I can't really return because I got them via Craigs List and the guy told me he didn't know what mount it was. It was a gamble purchase, and I knew there was a chance I'd have useless (to me) lenses. I kinda like the challenge of converting them, but I have no experience and don't know if its even possible.

09-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I removed the mount on the 400mm - its not a TX adaptor. I kept going thinking there might be a way to rig-up a K mount. I took it apart from the mount to the tripod collar. No luck. Now its become a real pain to put back together. Why are things always easier to take apart?