Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After seeing how many people in the lens ownership polls who never shoot over 100mm, I wonder how much market there would be for it. But I'm sure they could make a new one for a lot less than the one in the market place is going for. But would it ever be worth their while?

When I was 17 years old, a friend had invited me over to his house while his parents were gone ( which was against house rules). My buddy says "Come see this." With a sense of awe and wonder he went into his father's closet, pulled out a long black tube ( from the back of the closet behind his father's clothes) from which he withdrew a very long Pentax SMC 600mm lens. I've been fascinated with long glass ever since. Reading the forum, I've come to understand, that's not a common attribute.
Good, long glass is pricey, and hard to come by in Pentaxland. Personally, my collection reaches 300mm, but if they came out with a 400-450, priced along the lines of the DA* 200 and 300, it would make my short list. The 560 is a beautiful lens, but hard to justify the expense when it would be for “enjoyment “ purposes only.

06-11-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #47

I've been eyeing the 20-40 limited since it seems like a good general lens especially with its WR, but I lack a WA so I was thinking about the 15mm limited. I also don't have any super fast lens though so I was thinking about getting the F50 1.7 or 1.4 but with the dfa* 50 1.4 coming some cheap da* 55 1.4 might start popping up on the market. Tough picking only one for now.
06-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to spend my money on something I'll use to get photos I can't with what I already have. I already have a DA 55-300, but if I can convince myself that better AF means I will take more pictures with it, I'll pick up a PLM version in the near future. Once I get the K-3 II replacement, then I'll start dreaming up justification to buy the D-FA * 70-200, mainly for high school sports. Combine a faster frames per second with the K-1 II's accelerated continuous AF in a flagship APS-C body, along with ample opportunities to practice and I should have no problem getting people to look at my photographs. I only wish I could say the same about the landscape pictures I take, I know I'm taking better pictures over time but it's not getting easier to find people who actually want to look at them instead of doing so only to be polite.

Did you see the post progress bar move just now?
06-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Did you see the post progress bar move just now?
I've been doing the sums since day 3 and, since then, we've been fairly consistently on course to hit 40k on day 36 of the month. I don't know if we've ever hit 40k/month, or whether it is even realistic - but this month it seems to be unlikely...despite a lot of additional 'for the sake of it' posts (like this one).

06-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most likely I'll be picking up some more older glass before anything else. I'd like to stumble across a K 85mm f/1.8. But there are a couple of others I'd settle for.
06-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thinking of that DA 11-16mm/f2.8 might be next. Of course, will have to have a sell off before hand.
06-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Highest priority on my wish list is the DA21/3.2. It would fill the hole I have between the DA15 and a great many 28mms. The only thing
I currently own between those FL is an old m42 mount '23mm' with very stiff focus. I've never done a bench test with it though suspect
it is really an optimistically branded 24mm.

06-11-2018, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be buying the D-FA 50/1.4 as soon as it is made available. It will be used on the K1. I'm not price sensitive for this lens.

---------- Post added 06-11-18 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
I have always wanted to have a fa* 200 F4 micro, and I know there is one on the Forum for sale but out of my price point maybe someday.
Someday will probably never come with this one if you don't act on the one for sale here. There weren't that many of them made, and there aren't that many that people are willing to give up.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.
06-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I’m OK on lenses for right now, which is good because I really don’t have the money to be buying any more lenses at this point.

With that being said, if a nice sum of cash for the sole purpose of buying another lens were to fall into my lap, there would be 3 possibilities on my radar.

DA 12-24
DA 16-85 (to replace the Sigma 17-70)
DA 20-40

A girl can dream, right?
06-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

150-450 ... Fair enough?
06-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #56
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
The top of the wish list would be a smallish wide angle prime to use with the K1. Something like a 20 or 24 F1.4 or 1.8. I've got the 15-30, and it's great, but I wouldn't mind a smaller, faster prime for travel.
I guess it depends on your definition of "smallish", but the Sigma 20/1.4 is a mere 100g lighter than the 15-30, 2 cm shorter and 1 cm less wide. Wide, fast, small, choose any two.

Personally I would gladly give up some f-stops for smaller size. But then I shoot landscapes, not night skies.
06-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #57
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
150-450 ... Fair enough?
Fair enough
06-11-2018, 11:56 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I've been doing the sums since day 3 and, since then, we've been fairly consistently on course to hit 40k on day 36 of the month. I don't know if we've ever hit 40k/month, or whether it is even realistic - but this month it seems to be unlikely...despite a lot of additional 'for the sake of it' posts (like this one).
One announcement from Pentax and we'd reach the target in the next hour .... oh, er, yeah - see what you mean
06-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I think the trend considerably improved in the last couple of days... it was much slower in the first week of the month.
06-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I bought the DFA* 70-200 recently and it is a wonderful lens. It's qualities resemble those of primes. Although I feel now that I have the lenses that I need, I would love to see more such high quality * lenses from Pentax.

If I could afford it a DFA* 300/2.8 with the relevant DFA* 1.4X and DFA* 2X TCs would be great! I would save up money for such a lens and TCs. My dream lens is a 400/2.8 AF but I'm not sure I could handhold such a monster with so many missing organs from my body

Anyway, it's good to dream and you never know what life and Pentax brings in the future...

PS: I thought of breaking this post to three smaller ones, but I didn't give in finally. I'm not very optimistic about reaching the 40K posts in any of the three summer months. That would change only with a Pentax/Ricoh teaser of a new camera, lens etc