QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
What I should have stated was it couldn't be used in it's entirety on FF
See? We got there.

What a difference three words makes.

06-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was just parroting my understanding of the findings and postings of others here.
Please don't do that. Before you post something about a lens be sure yuhave seen actual images demonstrating the poster knows what he she is talking about. By now that you've been corrected how about you let your sources know, just so it doesn't happen again.
06-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
See? We got there.

What a difference three words makes.
I miss the old site's :eyeroll:
The new one looks goofy.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Please don't do that. Before you post something about a lens be sure yuhave seen actual images demonstrating the poster knows what he she is talking about. By now that you've been corrected how about you let your sources know, just so it doesn't happen again.
Norm's here now. We're at least upping the post count here as well.
Edited for clarity. I have seen images. I think if you peruse the thread progress you may well understand the disconnect. I thought Michaelina2's post demonstrated both bits of what both @clackers and I wrote. A scolding isn't in order here, fellas - I've been around a while.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.
06-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I miss the old site's :eyeroll:
The new one looks goofy.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 06:37 PM ----------

Norm's here now. We're at least upping the post count here as well.
Edited for clarity. I have seen images. I think if you peruse the thread progress you may well understand the disconnect. I thought Michaelina2's post demonstrated both bits of what both @clackers and I wrote. A scolding isn't in order here, fellas - I've been around a while.
We all love you, Kevin, everyone just wants accurate info given to fellow members, that's all.

Now, pull up a chair and have a Maker's Mark with me.

06-12-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

We all love you, Kevin, everyone just wants accurate info given to fellow members, that's all.

Now, pull up a chair and have a Maker's Mark with me.
To be fair, my *incomplete* sentence (in this context) would be the accurate info per Ricoh.
But, yes. We do.
And, yes. I will. :cheers: (nice choice, btw)
06-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

To be fair, my *incomplete* sentence (in this context) would be the accurate info per Ricoh.
Now, now, both your references are to crop lenses that work on full frame *despite* the company line, Kev ("Buy the 15-30!") ... Pentaxians informing Pentaxians, we need to thank them for their contributions

Now, enough of that, drink up ... salut!
06-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Now, now, both your references are to crop lenses that work on full frame *despite* the company line, Kev ("Buy the 15-30!") ... Pentaxians informing Pentaxians, we need to thank them for their contributions

Now, enough of that, drink up ... salut!
*My* reference was to a film-era lens, mate.
Skoal!

06-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

*My* reference was to a film-era lens, mate.
Your references were to the digital lenses in the 'DA Lenses on Full Frame' thread here and in Rice High's blog.

(Hiccup). That was good, I'll have another. I might need to home by Uber.
06-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Your references were to the digital lenses in the 'DA Lenses on Full Frame' thread here and in Rice High's blog.

(Hiccup). That was good, I'll have another. I might need to home by Uber.
That was whilst talking to *you*...
Brother, you're missing the forest stuck in a tree. They're listed as "no". According to both as well, the DA*50-135 can be used fine beyond 100mm - and it's true (I have that one :-P) but I haven't and wouldn't recommend it someone looking for a FF 105mm. Knowutimeanvern? Pentaxians helping Pentaxians.

I going drunk now. I'm home.
06-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That was whilst talking to *you*...
Brother, you're missing the forest stuck in a tree. They're listed as "no". According to both as well, the DA*50-135 can be used fine beyond 100mm - and it's true (I have that one :-P) but I haven't and wouldn't recommend it someone looking for a FF 105mm. Knowutimeanvern? Pentaxians helping Pentaxians.

I going drunk now. I'm home.
Yeah, my patience has run out.

He was looking for something in the 20mm, 20-35mm range, you gave a blanket "no", and that is not correct, simple as that.

I'll leave by the other door.
06-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #26
Pentaxian

The ignore list completely solves issues like this. Birsicletoed.

But back to the topic. I use my FAJ 18-35 in this focal range. It's not quite as clear an image as better lenses, but you have so much over-sampling on a K-1 for most uses, it still produces some very nice images. Probably just a little more distortion in the wide end than most will like but on my 3840 x 2560 55' wide screen, it looks like a DA* You can easily print great images up to 8x10 at that size, and probably quite bit bigger.

The last image i really examined with it there was a sign with some print on ashes door that seemed a bit fuzzy, but was still readable. It's good enough for everything but maybe 60 inch wide prints. I would expect bothe the 20 and 20-35 to be better.

It was cheap, (Under $100) and will do me until a modern equivalent arrives. Sometimes my theory is when you know something better is "eventually" coming, don't get to picky about the stop gap.

Last edited by normhead; 06-13-2018 at 09:01 AM.
06-14-2018, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
I want to get involved in Landscape Photography. I have the K-1 and three FA Limited lens and FA 100mm macro. I love wide angle and would like something wider than my 31, but maybe not an UWA lens. It would be great if it were a Pentax lens. In terms of IQ and sharpness, which is best between the 20mm, or 20-35? If I can't find one, then a third party 20mm. I plan to get a Lee Foundation System to use on all of them. Does this kit give me a decent start into Landscape Photography? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Terry
As far as I have tried (I have the M20/4 and tried the FA20-35), a good copy of the FA20-35 is better edge to edge stopped down vs the M20.
The problem is getting a good copy.
The copy I tried was decentered on one side (the good side was sharp on the edges), another copy I know of seemed 'off' and prone to flare.
M20/4 is a great lens in real world use, when portability is also a consideration.
Its not too sharp on the far edges and corners, but decent enough and often when distortion correction, perspective correction and very slight cropping for composition is done, the far edge has been cropped away anyway and a non-factor.
It also needs f11 to get decent edges, but a non-factor in practical use since thats all I care about as a landscape lens.

I have seen a good copy of the voigtlander 21mm that was better on the edges than my M20, but I also know of 2 copies of this lens that are the same as the M20.

As far as I know, if you want absolute edge to edge performance for a 20-21mm prime, then its the Zeiss 21/2.8.
But since they don't do PK mount anymore, your best option is to get one in Nikon F-mount and have the mount swapped via a Leitax adapter.

As for filter kits, I think there are other brands out there that do the job for a cheaper price.
I am using Haida filters and they work well.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-14-2018 at 02:20 AM.
06-14-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I've had them both, and kept the FA20. It's remarkably compact, relatively fast, and IQ is very good. The big fat six point stars are rather cool.
Yep agreed, I have the older A20 & the FA20-35. Would choose the A20, no contest.

Phil.
06-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The ignore list completely solves issues like this. Birsicletoed.
Well that's a rather disheartening reaction after my decade of modest-posting at best, but alright.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
As for filter kits, I think there are other brands out there that do the job for a cheaper price.
I am using Haida filters and they work well.
I'm not familiar with Haida. Are they costly or cheaper? And are they Japanese? No relation or tie to the British Columbia Haida Nation I assume.
06-14-2018, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well that's a rather disheartening reaction after my decade of modest-posting at best, but alright.

I'm not familiar with Haida. Are they costly or cheaper? And are they Japanese? No relation or tie to the British Columbia Haida Nation I assume.
Haida is one of those better China companies that aspire to produce good products.
As far as I have used, their 10 stop filters have a color cast that is easy to clean up. (all 10 stops of any brand will have a color cast, and some are harder to clean up with a blue/orange; green/magenta combination that when you pull one way, increases the other. )
Not the cheapest, but cheaper than Lee and Cokin.

There are other brands out there too, like Nisi, but you have to do some research on how they perform.

Here is a Hada review done by a friend.
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/real-life-review-of-haida-nd-filter.1265784/

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-14-2018 at 07:16 PM.