Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FA 20 or FA 20-35?

Hello,
I want to get involved in Landscape Photography. I have the K-1 and three FA Limited lens and FA 100mm macro. I love wide angle and would like something wider than my 31, but maybe not an UWA lens. It would be great if it were a Pentax lens. In terms of IQ and sharpness, which is best between the 20mm, or 20-35? If I can't find one, then a third party 20mm. I plan to get a Lee Foundation System to use on all of them. Does this kit give me a decent start into Landscape Photography? Your thoughts are appreciated.
Terry

06-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had them both, and kept the FA20. It's remarkably compact, relatively fast, and IQ is very good. The big fat six point stars are rather cool.
06-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

You can also use the DA12-24 between, say, 18mm and 24mm.
06-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That would be perfect. Thank you.
Terry

06-12-2018, 11:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

The M20/4 is cheap as chips and renders wonderfully on full-frame. It's also the smallest/lightest SLR lens I own (roughly the size of the FA43) aside from a Hexanon 40/1.8. It disappears in a camera (or other) bag.
At lengths this wide, AF is entirely unecessary in my opinion.

Search: pentax-m 20mm f4 | Flickr

@pinholecam has shot it extensively on full-frame and can probably offer some insight.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 11:40 AM ----------

ADDENDUM ---- Well is WAS cheap-as-chips - Wow. Prices I'm seeing on the 'bay now have at least doubled in a year or two. Still a very fine lens however, and still less than half the cost/size of AF and zoom options.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-12-2018 at 11:48 AM.
06-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sandy,
How exactly does that work? That would be a perfect focal length. Are there any disadvantages? How does it effect the camera or autofocus.
Thank you,
Terry

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 12:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
The M20/4 is cheap as chips and renders wonderfully on full-frame. It's also the smallest/lightest SLR lens I own (roughly the size of the FA43) aside from a Hexanon 40/1.8. It disappears in a camera (or other) bag.

@pinholecam has shot it extensively on full-frame and can probably offer some insight.

ADDENDUM ---- Well is WAS cheap-as-chips - Wow. Prices I'm seeing on the 'bay now have at least doubled in a year or two. Still a very fine lens however, and still less than half the cost/size of AF and zoom options.
Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm checking that out right away. Loved you flicker account.
Terry
06-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Wow, that is gorgeous! I'm checking that out right away. Loved you flicker account.
Terry
That one was @pinholecam 's image, not mine. I've a number of M20/4 images on my flickr, but none are full-frame digital (my digital work is APS-C only) - they are all film images. Not entirely useful for digital comparison, but this is one, with an MX on Fuji Sensia c-41 cross-processed transparency film.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

How exactly does that work? That would be a perfect focal length. Are there any disadvantages? How does it effect the camera or autofocus.
The DA 12-24 cannot be used on the K-1 *IN ITS FULL RANGE* except in crop mode. It otherwise will exhibit severe vignetting.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-12-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarity and confusion
06-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Really?

FYI some grab shots using the K-1MkII paired to DA 12-24, (TAv, green button exposure, MTF). All OOC (no post-processing). Note metadata...

12mm: 2018-06-12_162405.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery
18mm: 2018-06-12_162634.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery
24mm: 2018-06-12_162756.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Cheers... M
Really. Are you affirming or disagreeing?
06-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Pricey little lens. You with that lens produces beautiful images.
Terry
06-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pricey little lens. You with that lens produces beautiful images.
Terry
Thanks. Still, far less pricey than others with a similar FOV.
06-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That one was @pinholecam 's image, not mine. I've a number of M20/4 images on my flickr, but none are full-frame digital (my digital work is APS-C only) - they are all film images. Not entirely useful for digital comparison, but this is one, with an MX on Fuji Sensia c-41 cross-processed transparency film.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

The DA 12-24 cannot be used on the K-1 except in crop mode. It otherwise will exhibit severe vignetting.
Thank you. Not interested in crop mode.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 03:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Really?

FYI some grab shots using the K-1MkII paired to DA 12-24, (TAv, green button exposure, MTF). All OOC (no post-processing). Note metadata...

12mm: 2018-06-12_162405.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery
18mm: 2018-06-12_162634.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery
24mm: 2018-06-12_162756.jpg - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Cheers... M
So, did it start covering the full frame at 18mm without cropping?
Terry
06-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 12-24 cannot be used on the K-1 except in crop mode. It otherwise will exhibit severe vignetting.
Incorrect, Chickentender.

I own one, you don't, how would you know?

It's autofocus, and probably has better performance than the M20.

Pinholecam himself explained that the soft corners of the M20 and how far you had to stop it down to get it sharp means he toured New Zealand lately with the Samyang 14mm instead. And that would have been a considered decision, because on a bicycle you want the lightest lenses that can do the job.

The DA12-24 is much smaller than the superb 15-30 monster, by the way. TerryL already has the FA31, he doesn't need its long end.
06-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Incorrect, Chickentender.

I own one, you don't, how would you know?
Yo Clackers - How do you know what lenses are in my house?
But you're correct - I don't. Was just parroting my understanding of the findings and postings of others here.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame

and here
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

If those are incorrect and something else has come to light, then cool.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 04:59 PM ----------

Pinholecam himself explained that the soft corners of the M20 and how far you had to stop it down to get it sharp means he toured New Zealand lately with the Samyang 14mm instead. And that would have been a considered decision, because on a bicycle you want the lightest lenses that can do the job.
Yes. He did. That's why I tagged him.

But of the multitude of FF M20 images he's posted on Flickr over past several years, there's little if anything to give me any kind of pause about using it on a Sony or K-1 - quite the opposite. They're gorgeous images.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.
06-12-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yo Clackers - How do you know what lenses are in my house?
Oh, I knew you had no idea, CT!

But you're correct - I don't. Was just parroting my understanding of the findings and postings of others here.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Compatibility of DA Lenses on Full Frame

and here
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
So why didn't you parrot my post #3?

Or get that Rice High says it has vignetting to 16mm?

Or that the Test Shots thread gives a plus rating from 20mm, and two pluses at 24mm?

Very dangerous game, giving advice to another user looking to save or spend money ... it can be of casual importance to you, not worth researching, but it isn't to them!
06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh, I knew you had no idea, CT!

So why didn't you parrot my post #3?

Or get that Rice High says it has vignetting to 16mm?

Or that the Test Shots thread gives a plus rating from 20mm, and two pluses at 24mm?

Very dangerous game, giving advice to another user looking to save or spend money ... it can be of casual importance to you, not worth researching, but it isn't to them!
What are talking about man? I didn't refute your specific post. I just said it couldn't be used on FF w/o crop mode. What I should have stated was it couldn't be used in it's entirety on FF (and you'd have remained calm)
All the info is there ^ ^ now. OP can make his choice. In my personal opinion purchasing a zoom that's crippled for much of it's range isn't the best investment, but I didn't say so... just implied. And instead threw out an option that's 1/3 the price, a 1/3 the size and a 1/3 the weight. It too is soft in the corners in mid iris, so nothing's really lost. Not sure what you're on about.

---------- Post added 06-12-18 at 05:47 PM ----------

@TerryL - the K24/2.8 is a great one as well in that ballpark. Though again I have no FF examples; only crop-digi and 35mm.