Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone on here with a 20mm 1.4?

I read a couple of reviews of this lens that say it is poor quality at wide aperture and doesn't get much better when you close it. Of course, these are pixel peeping nerds and i want the opinion of a real photographer. I see various professionals use the lens (i'm not the kind of person that is interested in professionals' work, i just noticed people like david hill etc. are using this lens). Sigma seem to me to have a reputation for letting their lenses go to wider apertures than they are really fit for (which is a good thing in my opinion).
So i wanted to know if anyone here owns this, it would be the perfect combination of wide and fast for band photography (that is, if its any good wide open), and i would also like to know where to get it from (i live in the uk, im probably better off asking this question on pentaxuser.co.uk to be fair)

09-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I was curious as I'd not heard of this lens... I googled for it and I see a 30/1.4 and a 20/1.8. Was it one of these you're looking at? (I'm guessing the 20/1.8)
09-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh yeah, thanks. i cant remember where i saw it but it must have been that one. Still pretty fast. Is there no way of changing thread titles?

No worries, i've realised a good 16-50 will do me much better and is probably fast enough anyway.
09-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
oh yeah, thanks. i cant remember where i saw it but it must have been that one. Still pretty fast. Is there no way of changing thread titles?

No worries, i've realised a good 16-50 will do me much better and is probably fast enough anyway.
do much better, yes

more versatile, yes

fast enough, sure

but doing a wide angle close up for something/someone at F1.8 can only be done with this lens.

1.8 vs 2.8 is quite a bit in effective DOF esp at the close ranges.