Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35mm Takumar...Meh Colors

All,

I took my silver 35mm Takumar out for a spin yesterday. Pictures of trees, flowers, storm clouds, roads, pretty much everything on a suburb walk one can encounter.

And, frankly, I was unimpressed with the results. The colors seemed very flat. I wondered if it was my technique or lighting, and I tried a series of manual photos at different levels to see, and didn't see anything different. Just to check, I then took my Takumar 55/1.8 and 50/1.4 out, and achieved very different, almost striking and beautiful, results.

Has anyone else had experience with the 35mms? I wonder if it's just my particular lens, or this is a common concern in 35mm in general, or just these Tak 35s? Thanks!

06-13-2018, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

when you say silver do you mean the auto-takumar 35mm or the takumar 35mm f4?

Either way, these lenses are likely to have single coatings. As such, light transmission through the elements will suffer. See this web page for a good read on the importance of coatings.

About Super-Multi Coating (SMC) | The K-Mount Page

These old lenses have lower contrast and less saturated colours as a result. If you are shooting 14 bit RAW then you do a lot in post processing to lift contrast and saturation.
06-13-2018, 06:05 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It would help if you could tell us which 35mm takumar it is exactly. Also you could show us some pictures. Older Takumar lenses have just a single layer of coating and rendition of the subject is very dependent on the lighting conditions. It is also very advisable to always use a hood, with older lenses with little coating.
06-13-2018, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I can only speak positively about my Super-Tak 35/3.5 - Now, like other posters state, I do not know what version you have...

These two samples is to show the color redition on it (photo of the street is taken through a car windshield). While not mind blowing, to me this is very outstanding, and shows great capture all over the color spectrum.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-13-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
when you say silver do you mean the auto-takumar 35mm or the takumar 35mm f4?

Either way, these lenses are likely to have single coatings. As such, light transmission through the elements will suffer. See this web page for a good read on the importance of coatings.

About Super-Multi Coating (SMC) | The K-Mount Page

These old lenses have lower contrast and less saturated colours as a result. If you are shooting 14 bit RAW then you do a lot in post processing to lift contrast and saturation.
Here is the lens - https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showfull.php?product=259&bigimage=A...r_35mm_F35.jpg. It has the aperture lever that opens to focus, etc.

It may well be the coating. The other two Taks may just have a more solid coating.
06-13-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

yes, it will be the coatings. This lens is single coated (or may be double coated - depends on how close the serial is to the release time of the super takumar series). My suggestion is either do post processing or, if you prefer JPGS out of the camera, I suggest you play with the contrast/ saturation numbers for in camera processing. You should get decent results with this lens, but it is not as good as the super takumar or better still super multi coated takumar
06-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes, it will be the coatings. This lens is single coated (or may be double coated - depends on how close the serial is to the release time of the super takumar series). My suggestion is either do post processing or, if you prefer JPGS out of the camera, I suggest you play with the contrast/ saturation numbers for in camera processing. You should get decent results with this lens, but it is not as good as the super takumar or better still super multi coated takumar
Thanks, Mark, et. al. I wondered if that might be the case. And the two Taks - 50/55 - are so excellent....

06-13-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I also suggest you use a hood to reduce the influence of stray light. That will help with contrast.
06-13-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On all of the Takumar 35s, a hood will make a big difference.
06-13-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

May well be the coatings indeed. I've the Super-Tak (later, but non-SMC) version of the 35/3.5 and find its rendering rather spectacular for its age/size etc. Not incredibly sharp per se, but with a dimensional pop that I enjoy. Can't comment on the earlier Auto-Tak version though.
06-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also suggest you use a hood to reduce the influence of stray light. That will help with contrast.
Excellent. I will see if I have one that fits. Thank you!
06-13-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that lens and my test shots with it were great! OK, it was a bright, sunny day and I was photographing a very red rose but I was still impressed. How easy is it to get a 46mm hood? I think I should probably get one for mine
06-13-2018, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have that lens and my test shots with it were great! OK, it was a bright, sunny day and I was photographing a very red rose but I was still impressed. How easy is it to get a 46mm hood? I think I should probably get one for mine
The original? Extremely hard. I got one after looking for three years.

I suggest you get a third party one while you wait for the original to turn up in an auction site - LOL
06-13-2018, 03:44 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Get a 46 to 49mm step up ring an you can use any old Pentax hood.
06-13-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Get a 46 to 49mm step up ring an you can use any old Pentax hood.
Genius