Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax US Service Dep. tricks and DA* saga...again..

Hello dear Fellows,

This is what I posted initially on the "other" forum.. sorry for beating this "dead horse" but just had to say something..

Hello all,

that is exactly the same situation I am experiencing right now. Bought a DA* 16-50 in B&H about a month or so ago S/N begins with 902....

Bad copy - all of the left side of the picture was soft soft soft... 20$ for insured postage - Sent to Pentax Sevice Dep. in CO.

Got a replacement S/N begins with 901... (!!!), focus area looks like "unequal in-focus area" - on a focus chart the in-focus area was not straight horizontal, but somewhat "slanted" - weirrd. This copy also went back to Zuni St. Again for extra 20$..

Now I discover your thread, guys c'mon... I google my "replacement" lens' S/N, and guess what? - it's in the DA* optical quality survey list, in "another" forum listed as "BAD" :O

C'mon, Pentax, is this I'm supposed to be getting for a "STAR" lens worth 700$ ???

I still could not manage to get a good photo outing with a lens I bought like 1,5 month ago cause of quality and service issues - something is WRONG with this DA*, and please, don't tell me that I'm imagining things, or the quality issues with this lens are a thing of the past..

End of venting,
Take care all, please enjoy your FAs or Ltds

P.S. This "new or refurbished" lens is 9016761 - listed BAD on:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/22297-da-16-50...tabase-10.html

Maybe pentax is just bouncing the bad lens as "replacement" hoping some of us, guys get bored of sending it back to Service Dep. Is this an example of good business ???

09-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Maybe pentax is just bouncing the bad lens as "replacement" hoping some of us, guys get bored of sending it back to Service Dep. Is this an example of good business ???

that is poor form

one question... did the lens arrive looking new.. meaning was the packaging etc made to look like it was new and not repackaged

I reckon they would also be hoping that not only people like yourself get sick of sending back, but for those who know no better will just think its not as good as they were told.

I hope you refer to and point them to this forum and the bad listing Data Base
09-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe we need a bad lens database for the Tamron 28-75 as well. Sounds like the B&H "mistake" exchange when I got a clearly used lens as a replacement for a backfocusing one :-P
Hope you get a good DA*16-50....
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it was Pentax Canada I'd think that they were just rotating the returned lenses, however Pentax USA is second to no one with the possible exception to Sigma when it comes to after the sales service.

I believe that it would have been an honest mistake made on their part.

Good luck sending it back.

09-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #5

if it came back from pentax i would have assumed that they had tested it and corrected any issues that were there originally - so the "bad" lens would now be "good" eventhough it has the "bad" serial #. but if its still bad once they have had it, then that's just disappointing.
09-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sad!

This is verging on criminal.

Maybe all the poor buyers who have incurred expenses returning all the dud 16-50's could consider a class-action suit?
09-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
if it came back from pentax i would have assumed that they had tested it and corrected any issues that were there originally - so the "bad" lens would now be "good" eventhough it has the "bad" serial #. but if its still bad once they have had it, then that's just disappointing.
I have the same story w/ Sigma service center and 17-70/2.8-4.5... unfortunately that is the way it works nowadays...