Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tiger lily - seven lenses

I didn't intend to do a series on tiger lilies but after the third, it seemed like the logical thing to do. This is non-scientific, I just tried to make each photo look the best between aperture, framing and processing. Processing was LR and Nik Vivezza. Helios was not processed at all, I liked it right out of the camera. Lenses used:
Pentax DA 15mm 4.0

Spiratone Plura-Coat 24mm 2.8
Helios 77M-4 50mm 1.8
Canon FL 55mm 1.2
Pentax DA* 55mm 1.4
Formula 5 135mm 1.8

The titles do not include the lens name so that everyone can enjoy guessing;-0

06-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very interesting. For me, the one taken with the DA*55/1.4 was easy to spot and I think the best of the lot.
06-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very creative "test".
Number I looks quite soft... a lens with issues?
Some of them look a wee bit dark on my monitor, apart from III, V, VI and VII which look just about right.

I really like the concept of variazioni sul tema, so to speak
06-13-2018, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Number 1 may be in the running for worst lens in the world wide open based on technical measures. But it does produce impressionistic verging on surrealistic portrayals like this

06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Number 1 may be in the running for worst lens in the world wide open based on technical measures. But it does produce impressionistic verging on surrealistic portrayals like this:
If at least some part of a picture is acceptably sharp, then the rest can be as messy as you like.
I think this one is much better than Tiger Lily I

I too have a lemon that does something like that... rarely use it...
06-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For me, #5 is the clear outstander here. The curls, the framing, the focus, the light falloff. Beautiful picture. Stunning. Would hang it on a wall.

I like the composition on #1. A different approach for what seems to be the same flower in #5. Refreshing. Doesn't work quite well for the similar #2 (I would've gone in closer even if the lighting was at risk) which quite frankly just looks like a phone snapshot (they have become very capable of serious photography in the last years, for which we need to push it harder with our "traditional" gear).

The wide angle lenses are the easy ones to identify. I wonder how bad the cityscape was to not having included it in the DA 15 shot. A nice background with a big flower in the foreground makes for a good environmental composition. I would love to see what you can do if you can go back to the place at sunrise/sunset (maybe with a mirror in hand for lighting).

IV, VI and VII seem a bit dark to me compared to the others…?

There should be a way to make a poll so people can vote which is which and a few weeks later we could see the results of the poll and compare them to the actual lenses. Maybe there would be a big surprise? Start a tradition?

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Torashi, are you going by order in the gallery or the actual title? The fifth photo in the gallery (Tiger lily III) seems to correspond to your comments more than the one titled "Tiger lily 5" with its bubble field bokeh The two that I personally like the best are the ones titled Tiger lily III and Tiger lily II. It may be too late to align the titles and gallery order, but that and maybe a poll could go for another time.

06-13-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Torashi, are you going by order in the gallery or the actual title? The fifth photo in the gallery (Tiger lily III) seems to correspond to your comments more than the one titled "Tiger lily 5" with its bubble field bokeh The two that I personally like the best are the ones titled Tiger lily III and Tiger lily II. It may be too late to align the titles and gallery order, but that and maybe a poll could go for another time.
That was my guess - that one is my personal favorite as well, "Tiger Lily III", the 5th in the gallery. A lovely composition.
06-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, I was going by the gallery rather than by title which I have seen none.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The one I like the most is the Tokina 90