Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 04:31 PM - 5 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep something under half half my lenses in a couple of backpack style Lowe Pros, and another chunk in a display case on my computer desk, and another bunch (that don't get out much) in a couple of camera bags in my basement storage room. I live in a dry enough climate that I can get away with this. I have so many lenses that I quite honestly don't know what I have. This is what I was using back in 2006. I think it was about a quarter of my collection at the time.

Attached Images

06-13-2018, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't store lenses. I use them

Seriously though, they all live in camera bags in my study, in the dark, with caps on, set up so I can pick up any one of them and go shooting without thinking too much. Fortunately the room is neither cold nor damp.
06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one section of my lens storage, showing just my Soviet lenses (and film cameras above)... My Pentax K-mount and Sony A-mount lenses are in a different section to the left, also taking up two full shelves, with my Pentax, Samsung, Sony and Hasselblad digital cameras taking up another shelf. The point here isn't to show that I have too many lenses and cameras (and I clearly do ), but how they're stored. None of them has shown ill effects from being stored this way...

06-13-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a walk-in closet and my lenses are on a shelf in that closet along with several film cameras. Those that have bags or hard cases are in those cases. All have caps on, front and rear, and most are stored vertically.* My K-3 is in a messenger bag on the floor along with a few lenses. Also on the floor is: a smaller bag with a loaded film camera and a couple of lenses for it, two tripods (bagged), a couple of boxes with flash stuff, and a larger box with the Chamonix view camera and supporting kit. The closet is seldom particularly hot or cold with extremes being 80F and 60F respectively. Although my region has high rainfall, humidity is seldom high inside the closet.

There are also a number of cameras (mostly vintage/antiques) on display with appropriate lenses in the living areas of the house. They are out in the open, but never exposed to direct sun. Yes, I have too many cameras, but am still a minor player as far as collectors go. Oh! I almost forgot. There is an Olympus XA in a small Cordura case waiting to be thrown into the pack or carry-on on the spur of the moment.

None of my lenses or cameras have caught fungus and none have become fogged by plastic outgassing either. Everything that I bought new is v. good to excellent condition due at least in part to using cases or wraps for protection in the field.

Steve

* We have had four earthquakes in the 12 years I have lived here and I often wonder about the wisdom having those lenses loose on a shelf when they might pitch off onto the floor.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-13-2018 at 10:56 PM.
06-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hi
Yesterday I read "bags are bad!" "Darkness is bad!" "Lens caps are bad!"
Where did you read this?
06-13-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Humidity is the enemy. You live in England so I'll assume damp weather is common. When it's cold enough to have the heat on that tends to dry the air. During wet summers, though, unless you run air conditioning most of the time, damp air gives fungus good growing conditions. Bags can be considered bad because the bag can absorb moisture. Darkness can be considered bad because that usually means the lenses are stored someplace with poor airflow, preventing things from drying quickly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I will never be able to afford a dry box
Get a sealed storage container. It doesn't have to be an expensive air-condition cabinet or bulletproof Pelican-style travel case, just simple home storage with a decent lid seal. I realize this website is the wrong country for you but has some examples Clear Weathertight Totes | The Container Store

Keep a rechargeable silica pack inside to re-absorb humidity each time you open the box. There are 2 styles of recharge, dry in an oven or dry by plugging into an outlet.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Don't do it in a gas oven, since methane combustion produces water vapor, and you're back where you started
I've been using a gas oven to recharge a pack for 5 years and it dries well. I'm on the USA east coast with plenty of humidity and can still go 6 months between drying.
06-13-2018, 10:58 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Where did you read this?
Internet! I was listening to the bloody internet again *sigh* one article said bags and darkness are killers, another said to leave the lens caps off to allow natural light in......mind you, it also said I was one of the four cleverest people in the world and can increase the size of my gentleman sausage by 50%, so maybe I shouldn't have taken it too literally

06-13-2018, 11:49 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It really depends on the relative humid of the area where you store your lenses. If the humidity is low you are unlikely to have a problem regardless how you store your lenses as that is what fungus needs.

If the RH is above 50-60% you need to start taking precautions of some sort. Even just storing lenses on a open shelf with the front caps off will be better than inside your camera bag.

If it’s consistently above 70% a humidifier would be ideal. They can be pricy but I was lucky enough to pick one up for $40.
06-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I've been using a gas oven to recharge a pack for 5 years and it dries well. I'm on the USA east coast with plenty of humidity and can still go 6 months between drying.
CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O
If it works, it's less efficient than an electric oven or direct sunlight in a dry and windy day.
06-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H2O
If it works, it's less efficient than an electric oven or direct sunlight in a dry and windy day.
I'm not disputing that gas combustion produces water vapor. I am saying it's insignificant for drying things. My old electric oven and newer gas oven replacement recharge my dry pack in the same amount of time.
06-14-2018, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I live in a very humid area, so I have two of these for bodies and lenses. They cost about AUD$300 each, bought one at a time over a few years:

Keeps the dust out too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have so many lenses that I quite honestly don't know what I have. This is what I was using back in 2006. I think it was about a quarter of my collection at the time.
Wow. What a kit.

I keep all my gear recorded (with serials) on a spreadsheet - lenses, bodies, flash gear, batteries, SD cards etc.
06-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I live in a very humid area, so I have two of these for bodies and lenses. They cost about AUD$300 each, bought one at a time over a few years:

Keeps the dust out too.

Wow. What a kit.

I keep all my gear recorded (with serials) on a spreadsheet - lenses, bodies, flash gear, batteries, SD cards etc.
That looks very nice!
I've always wanted to buy/build something like that.
No actual need though, house is quite dry.

@Wheatfield [NSFW] tag for gear p*rn, please!
06-14-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In metal Staples filing cabinets in an open closet. Lenses\cameras are in their original cases with a silica gel pack in every case, extra gel packs are scattered on the shelves. Gel packs are replaced every year.

The closet also has a "renewable mini dehumidifier".

Phil.
06-14-2018, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Seems like this topic is so interesting that it keeps generating new threads:
Lens Storage - is this ok? (2018)
Lens storage.... how do YOU do it?
Lens Storage
Camera Lens Storage and Humidity?
Lens Storage
Lens Storage
Lens Storage 2
Lens storage
Lens storage ...in case or not?

The two most professional sources are:
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
How to Protect Your Cameras and Lenses with a Wonderful Dry Cabinet
Lenses should not be stored in their original boxes or camera bags and particularly not in leather. That is just to protect them while in transit or travelling.
They need light and air circulating around them to avoid humidity so, assuming the humidity level is generally below 50%, it is best to keep the on an open shelf with the lens caps removed or if the humidity is higher than 50%, in a dry cabinet.
The problem with wood is that some wood gives off chemicals and also you don't know what the wood has been treated with. I think it is better to use either metal shelves or laminated shelves.
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
German optical instrument manufacturer Zeiss gives recommendations on how to store camera lenses:
Fungus on Lenses | ZEISS Service Information
06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I store my lenses in a cheap plastic box behind my computer screen. I also keep various bits, bobs and my main body in the same box. Climate isn't really an issue here. Definitely not humid.