Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
In metal Staples filing cabinets in an open closet. Lenses\cameras are in their original cases with a silica gel pack in every case, extra gel packs are scattered on the shelves. Gel packs are replaced every year.

The closet also has a "renewable mini dehumidifier".

Phil.
I started using silica packets as well in the past year or so. I toss them inside the film door of film camera bodies as well if they aren't being used regularly.

Just as @stevebrot mentioned, our region gets humid but rarely too bad indoors, however the last house we lived in was very old with uninsulated walls that wept in the winter. Didn't realize how much of a problem it was until I discovered mold behind the bookshelf that was home to quite a few cameras and lenses. An old Zeiss-Ikon folder developed fugus in the elements from just sitting there for a few months unseen, as did several cases that were stored lower in pullout drawers of the same shelf. That was a moisture battle until we moved; running the heat and fans far more than I'd have liked and relocating everything away from outer walls that could block airflow and create a cold air pocket behind it in winter. Glad to be out of there!

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-14-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: formatting
06-14-2018, 02:02 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

This is how much of my frequently-used equipment is stored. Somewhat less than ideal, but not necessarily because of humidity or light!
06-14-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote

@Wheatfield [NSFW] tag for gear p*rn, please!
It's only softcore p*rn
06-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have so many lenses that I quite honestly don't know what I have. This is what I was using back in 2006. I think it was about a quarter of my collection at the time.
Nice! Three LX's? And the FA*200 macro, F*300 and A*85 are still on my LBA radar.

06-14-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice... but what about the other 80% of my lenses?
Buy 4 more autodessicators.
06-14-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Buy 4 more autodessicators.
Thank you Racer, always ready with realistic and practical advice...
06-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #37
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Thank you Racer, always ready with realistic and practical advice...
Well he could always build one. An easy weekend project with some Lexan sheets, a 100 watt lamp or other heat source, some miscellaneous hardware (hinges, handle, latches) some basic tools.

Viola, a custom made cabinet perhaps even large enough for the entire collection.

06-14-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well he could always build one. An easy weekend project with some Lexan sheets, a 100 watt lamp or other heat source, some miscellaneous hardware (hinges, handle, latches) some basic tools.

Viola, a custom made cabinet perhaps even large enough for the entire collection.
Something like this, then?
Attached Images

06-14-2018, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I store everything except the K-1 and KP kits in a small vintage Hitchcock hardwood chest of drawers. I’ve lined the drawers with woven rubber-ish tool cabinet drawer liner material. There are 50+ lenses and 20+ film cameras and 30+ accessories - not a large collection. All lenses less than 105mm are stored vertically with caps on and aperture fully closed. Film cameras and accesssories are stored in one of the drawers. My active lenses (FA Limiteds and 24-70 with K-1, DA Limiteds and 28-105 with KP) are in Domke F5xB bags on a closet shelf. I’ve sprinkled 100 dessicant satchels throughout the drawers and in the bags. I store hard cases in plastic tubs and leather pouches with the boxes on shelves in the basement.

My house is kept at 70 d. F year around and centrally humidity regulated to 35% year around (I actually add moisture in the winter).

Periodically I lay everything out in a sunny room with the front caps removed for a weekend. This also allows me to inspect my lenses, cross-reference my list and update for any lenses I’ve added. It takes over an hour to get everything out and longer to put it back.

Never had fungus.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-14-2018 at 06:48 PM.
06-14-2018, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #40
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Something like this, then?
You'll need more than one 100 watt bulb.
06-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I've had expensive cameras for nigh on 50 years now. For most of those years I've stored them in camera bags, on shelves in cupboard. I live in a dry northern climate and the house is climate controlled...A/C in summer, natural gas furnace in winter. Temp year round is around 20-21 Celsius.

I use both Domke F-2 Original bags and an assortment of LowePro bags. The bags all have padded sections (or pockets) and I add to the padding by inserting Frank (brand) soft foam sponges ...both on the upper bottom of the bags and also to cushioning, tight positioning and shock absorbing around equipment stored...such as lenses, bodies and flashes.

The sponges are easily/quickly removable and I get them in the household section of Canadian Tire stores.

I position the lens...rear lens cap down and the bodies either rear body or bottom body. Haven't had any difficulty for decades storing this way. Also I keep the top cover on the various bags zippered and clamped tight, during storage. I also have a cupboard in a spare bedroom that has shelving installed and the bags are placed there.

Don't get me started on how I carry my camera equipment while traveling in vehicles.
06-14-2018, 08:17 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Just coming from my Climate Controlled Vault where I keep all my Photographic Thoughts and Ideas .

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:32 AM.
06-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I have all the lenses i use in my lowpro protactic 450 bag.

The lenses i dont use i usually leave on my tv shelf, ready for me to pick it up or sell when i need to
06-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I am interested in this topic too, I was thinking to buy a small dry cabinet that can fit my k-1 and lenses. Since my lens collection is relatively small, I should be able to fit everything in it. I want to protect my expensive gear lol, so was looking at what is available on ebay for a while. For now I store everything on my shelf, room is not too damp, so shouldn't cause any issues, but I guess I want to make sure my gear lasts
06-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #45
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Just coming from my Climate Controlled Vault where I keep all my Photographic Thoughts and Ideas .
A hood from an old Chevy truck, repurposed as a roof for your ‘Climate Controlled Vault”.

Way cool!