Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A hood from an old Chevy truck, repurposed as a roof for your ‘Climate Controlled Vault”.

Way cool!
Note that the "REAR" VIEW MIRRORS ARE STILL ATTACHEDPUN IS INTENDED

Last edited by honey bo bo; 08-07-2018 at 04:32 AM.
08-13-2023, 04:16 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For newer members:
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Seems like this topic is so interesting that it keeps generating new threads:
Lens Storage - is this ok? (2018)
Lens storage.... how do YOU do it?
Lens Storage
Camera Lens Storage and Humidity?
Lens Storage
Lens Storage
Lens Storage 2
Lens storage
Lens storage ...in case or not?

The two most professional sources are:
08-13-2023, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
For newer members:
And it will probably continue to generate new threads in the future, and that's just fine.
08-13-2023, 05:15 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always kept my lenses in camera bags as kits ready to grab and go, with silica gel packets in each one. Fortunately it doesn't get too humid here and the summers are certainly hot and dry. I've been lucky so far.

08-13-2023, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

“ Swathed in bubble wrap” set alarm bells for me. Keeping in cases also makes me worried…especially the leather variety.

As mentioned in a separate thread, I keep mine in large clear plastic storage boxes. No paper, bubble wrap, cloth etc etc is stored with them incase it can absorb/trap humidity or moisture and release back slowly.

Only silica packs are kept inside the boxes (big giant silica packs) I usually dry them all out once a year (autumn) using the microwave.
I’m sure my method is far from perfect.

Eventually I fully intend to let go of the vast bulk of my camera/lenses, after all we are all only passing custodians!!

Last edited by Doormat; 08-13-2023 at 09:50 PM.
08-13-2023, 09:51 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

The strategy for long term storage of lenses is very dependant on the climate one lives in. Someone who lives in a hot and humid environment is going to need a much more intensive strategy than someone who lives in a dry and cold environment, for example.
My understanding is that dry boxes with a built in dehumidifier are quite popular in places like Singapore where it's quite tropical and humid.
OTOH, where I live in western Canada, humidity isn't an issue as we have a very dry climate (and also quite cold for nearly half of the year), and so I am able to toss unused equipment into a closed case for years on end with no deleterious effects.
As an example, nearly 20 years ago I decided I wanted to get another Nikon F2s and a few lenses contemporaneous to the age of the camera. I've used the camera a few times, but for the most part it and the 4 lenses I purchased have been sitting on a shelf in my basement, stored in a leather case that is now more than 50 years old that I took from my parent's house when we cleaned it out.
The bag is pristine, and the stored gear is showing no signs of mold or any other environmental damage.
I imagine that if I tried the same thing in South Carolina the bag would have turned into a pile of half digested goo and the gear inside would be ruined.