Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How do we store our lenses?

Hi
I have two bags, one with manual lenses and one with auto focus lenses. They are swathed in bubble wrap and surrounded by silica gel packages and I was quite happy about this, until yesterday! Yesterday I read "bags are bad!" "Darkness is bad!" "Lens caps are bad!" Needless to say I am somewhat confused and concerned. I will never be able to afford a dry box and only have limited space in the visited but not used bedroom that has become my camera store. So, are my lenses quite safe where they are? (The room is not used but is heated and ventilated), or should I build some kind of rack, facing the window and store them all standing up, lens caps off, gathering thin sunlight? Does anyone have a nifty solution they want to share?

06-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think direct sunlight is necessary, plus it could fade the plastics and spoil the rubber.
Humidity is not desirable, because of fungi.
I store them either sitting on the front or on the bottom, best not on a side - or so I've heard - because of how loads are distributed on the lens elements.

Silica gel absorbs humidity but only up to a certain point, then it has to be regenerated. Don't do it in a gas oven, since methane combustion produces water vapor, and you're back where you started...
06-13-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sure there are many thoughts and systems

however how often do you use your lenses?

are you talking about long term storage - weeks/months between using them or short term - days

would it matter ?
06-13-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long lenses are in their own cases. Short lenses are placed on top of each other (maximum three) in a storage camera bag. I use this as a feeder bag for the lenses to put into my main bag as necessary. From there I pull lenses to put in my sling bag for travel. The main bag I use for more varied shoots when I need more lenses and can't decide what to bring. Everything is kept in a living space to reduce humidity (never a basement or garage) and heat (NEVER in an attic).

06-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am sure there are many thoughts and systems

however how often do you use your lenses?

are you talking about long term storage - weeks/months between using them or short term - days

would it matter ?
For me it is relatively short term. I like to rotate my lenses and the longest any lens goes without an airing would be a month. As for weather, the only lens that sees anything remotely adverse is my wr 18-135

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Long lenses are in their own cases.
So, original cases are good, yes? I have several of those
06-13-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have my lenses stored in a built-in wardrobe with sliding doors. The room is warm (but never hot - certainly never cold), nor is it humid... but I don't live in a particularly humid climate. All lenses have front and rear caps fitted, and most are standing with the mount at the bottom, except for a handful of physically long lenses that are stored horizontally because the distance between shelves in the wardrobes isn't great enough.

Frankly, I store my lenses in the best way I can based on the typical resources available in an average home environment, and I don't worry about it otherwise. I'm not about to create a perfectly balanced climate in which to store my gear... That's more trouble than I'm comfortable with. If my environment's not good enough and results in problems with lubricant migration or fungus (which hasn't happened yet), so be it... I'll either service the affected lenses myself if possible (for my vintage glass), or have them serviced by a suitable agent (my modern AF glass).
06-13-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Secador 4.0 Autodessicator. Price new 1000. eBay 50
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ100  Photo 
06-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
*insert expletive of choice here* that was something of a bargain checking eBay now (but not holding my breath)

06-13-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine are just in a glass fronted display cabinet... haven't ever put any thought into it.
06-13-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
How do we store our lenses?
Stored for almost 40 years in My Master Bedroom dark closet second floor no silica gel, caps on, at least 4 attached to cameras in cases; heated and no significant humidity ever just normal.
I store my current equipment $9000.00 + worth very similar except now there is silica gel packs in every Lens pouch and Bag. The silica is more for bringing in & outdoors all year round. If you don't get enough gel packs from your electronics and Prescriptions you can of course get any size for cheap from the Orient. I sold all of my K1000 with lens in 2015 all in working condition no issues and I had another 7 or 8 lenses stolen in 2014.(all purchased 1980's) I have had no issues with any of my Pentax equipment; all of which are very well constructed. I don't keep any of them in plastic; all are in breathable W/R bags or pouches @ room temperature. I also have Point & Shoot Cameras 2 of which I leave in my Truck all year around with at least 2 silica packs in each with no problems.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SH-1  Photo 
06-13-2018, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Nice... but what about the other 80% of my lenses?
06-13-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Nice... but what about the other 80% of my lenses?
not to mention the ones destined to join your collection. I only have 25 so far. One advantage of them being tucked away in a bag is my lovely wife ignores them. That would be less easy for her (and ultimately me) if they were displayed in a whacking great glass cabinet I still need a better solution than my current jumble but I am now significantly less paranoid
06-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

not to mention the ones destined to join your collection. I only have 25 so far. One advantage of them being tucked away in a bag is my lovely wife ignores them. That would be less easy for her (and ultimately me) if they were displayed in a whacking great glass cabinet I still need a better solution than my current jumble but I am now significantly less paranoid
Good man

Don't get me wrong, a hermetically-sealed, temperature and humidity controlled environment would be lovely for my gear. But it's to be used, just like my PCs, guitars, etc. Common sense plays a big part, and so long as none of this stuff is exposed to extremes for extended periods of time, and is looked after sensibly, I figure that's enough (for me).

Humidity is arguably the biggest concern with anything, so if you're in an excessively humid climate or home environment, then perhaps it's worth taking extra precautions. Otherwise, just store things sensibly and enjoy them

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-13-2018 at 04:31 PM.
06-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #14
Forum Member

In a cheap airtight transparent plastic box, with a cheap glue-on hygromoter and a meshed bag with silica gel.
06-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

*insert expletive of choice here* that was something of a bargain checking eBay now (but not holding my breath)
The problem is that it is far too good - it takes RH down to some 20% in a couple of hours. At a too low RH the grease on manual lenses tends to dry out. So it is running on a time switch for only an hour every couple of days. They turn up on eBay or surplus auctions every-so-often, this one had never been used.