Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
Do you have some pictures from that one? I haven't seen many - might be a lens I should keep my eyes open for. The extra light it can offer would appeal to me.

Edit: Ouch! It seems to go for quite a bit of cash!
Yeah it's a spendier one, but in all honesty its outstanding and near the FA31 in rendering, pop and it's half the size and just slightly wider. It's a gem at a fraction the cost of the FA. When I'm back at my computer I'll dig some up. I think there are a handful of film shots with it on Flickr but I'm not positive. I've only had it a few months.

Edit: @sergeremy - some very quick example shot (send thanks to my lady - you can see varying levels of patience in the progression ) .
To all were applied just auto-WB, 2/3 stop +exp, and low export sharpening with minimum JPG compression.
Pentax-M 28/2 Examples

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-15-2018 at 05:16 PM.
06-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
I now have on order the HD 20-40mm. $$ My son's college education does not resume for a couple of months. I will figure out something regarding that by then. $$

Though I started this thread asking opinion regarding primes 21mm vs 35mm on an APS-C and ended up with the 20-40 zoom, I still am a prime fan and will likely add more primes in the future. I shoot almost always outdoors, so the direction of some contributors toward the light/compact (for a zoom) 20-40 makes sense.
I prefer primes but there's no denying the convenience of zooms in many situations, the challenge is to find one that you can enjoy using. The greater the zoom ratio the less I enjoy using it (as a rule) so I imagine the 2x of the 20-40mm keeps it very prime-like, if that makes sense.
06-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
I've been using it exclusively for some months now. I didn't even take anything else on a recent two week trip to Ireland - no regrets. Only drawback is I could use an extra stop of light from time to time. And I'd like to try one or two other samples of the lens, as I had to disassemble mine to fix the little aperture lever inside which was unscrewed. I may have not put it back together perfectly .
It's really usable wide open, if you are careful not to include strong light sources or don't mind the flare.
So between this, which can be used w.o. no problems and a faster lens which is markedly softer unless stopped down a bit... well...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The bokeh can be ok, or even good depending on the background... but it also can get ugly really easily. And it's hard to tell on a 3 inch back screen that your shot ended up horrible because of the bokeh.

I've talked about it before in this thread: Speaking of bokeh comparisons... - PentaxForums.com
Yeah that's a bit busy... never seen anything like that with mine though... will need to take a similar shot to check.
06-16-2018, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Pentax-M 28/2 Examples
Thanks for those, Chickentender (and thanks to your lady!). That's pretty sharp at F2 - I'm not sure there's anything really special (to me) about the OOF background (with the caveat that I am looking at these on a laptop) compared to what I can get on my M28 3.5. But there's a pretty nice "pop" to the portraits - and that's worth thinking about. That and the extra light gathering possibility are incentive enough to do some more searching on that lens...

06-16-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It's really usable wide open, if you are careful not to include strong light sources or don't mind the flare.
I agree (and I could be more careful, at times )
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
So between this, which can be used w.o. no problems and a faster lens which is markedly softer unless stopped down a bit... well...

Agreed also, but those shots by Chickentender certainly prove the M28/2 isn't of the soft variety...