Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
If I were you it would be the 35. Not only is it macro but sits exactly between your other two lenses (20mm away from wither one).
I think it would be wiser to think of it in terms of FOV rather than FL.

@55 the zoom has a FOV of about 29°D/25°H.

The 15 a 88°/77° FOV.

The 68°/59° FOV of the 21 is more of a middle ground than the 45°/38° of the 35.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

06-13-2018, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
21 on the camera.
70 in the pocket.
Happy days.
06-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
The 35mm macro by far, between the 21 and 35.

The macro feature is not only very useful, but the minimum focusing distance of just 13 cm in normal mode. Under 13cm it becomes macro, in different reproduction ratios.

However if I were you, I'll get a 20-40mm limited, is not intrusive at all, weather sealed, silent focusing and the zoom range perfect for street and travelling.
The image quality and rendering is gorgeous.
06-13-2018, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

either one - they are very different lenses, so you'll have to decide which is your flavor...

I have the SMC version of the 21mm Limited and the HD 35mm Limited and I'd have the 35mm if I knew I was going to need fine details or close-ups - it's that much better than the 21 at macro (of course it is)....

06-13-2018, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Incidentally, macro on the HD DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited isn't really all that useful for real macro work, in my view. Rather, it offers very close focusing, which can be extremely useful and offer excellent creative options. But it's not for live bee shots, for instance
Well, I can not let you say this without mentioning this :
https://flic.kr/p/JDTiMA

With that said, I bought a used DFA 100 macro because yes, the 35 is quite a bit more difficult to use at or near 1:1, especially with some insects. This one was taken using a horizontally mounted flash and a home made paper diffuser. But it is a pain to get everything in the right spot. The diffuser itself is very special, with a part that goes down very close to the front element. I should take a picture of it.

I found bees surprisingly easy to work with. When they are focused on their work, they often ignore you.
But you have to know them, be careful and respectful. I usually sit there among them, let them get used to me, and only take a handful of pictures and stop, not to get on their nerves. Also, never do this if you feel they are in a bad mood, excited and aggressive.

On a more useful note for the OP, the 35mm is very good and very versatile. However, I often find myself wishing it was a bit wider for general usage.
But I cannot yet convince me to sell the 35 to buy the 21. Even now that I have the DFA 100 macro WR. Maybe with time, if I realize I don't use the 35 for macro anymore... But it is so good!
You wanted subjective advice, so here you go!

Last edited by pjsaure; 06-13-2018 at 05:08 PM.
06-13-2018, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
Bee gathering thistle pollen | One of my first experiments w? | Flickr

With that said, I bought a used DFA 100 macro because yes, the 35 is quite a bit more difficult to use at or near 1:1, especially with some insects. This one was taken using a horizontally mounted flash and a home made paper diffuser. But it is a pain to get everything in the right spot. The diffuser itself is very special, with a part that goes down very close to the front element. I should take a picture of it.

I found bees surprisingly easy to work with. When they are focused on their work, they often ignore you.
But you have to know them, be careful and respectful. I usually sit there among them, let them get used to me, and only take a handful of pictures and stop, not to get on their nerves. Also, never do this if you feel they are in a bad mood, excited and aggressive.
That's a fantastic photo with any lens, but especially with the DA35 f/2.8 Macro... As is always the case, skill plays a huge part, and you have more skill than me at this range (probably at any range!! )...

Very nice work!

EDIT: I would love to see your diffuser if you have time to take a photo of it
06-13-2018, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

Thank you, but I have to admit there was a bit of luck involved too. I don't have many pictures like these to show... And a flash is definitely of great help, because the lens (and the photographer) is indeed very likely to cast a big shadow on the subject.

06-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

21 Ltd hands down

It was my most popular lens before going to the K-1.
06-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Theoretically the 35 makes more sense. Emotionally the 21 is better for me. I have both and the 21 goes out while the 35 stays home.
06-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
Bee gathering thistle pollen | One of my first experiments w? | Flickr

On a more useful note for the OP, the 35mm is very good and very versatile. However, I often find myself wishing it was a bit wider for general usage.
But I cannot yet convince me to sell the 35 to buy the 21. Even now that I have the DFA 100 macro WR. Maybe with time, if I realize I don't use the 35 for macro anymore... But it is so good!
You wanted subjective advice, so here you go!
Actually the the 35 macro was intended for venomous snakes. ...too close?
06-13-2018, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
Actually the the 35 macro was intended for venomous snakes. ...too close?
You would have to interact so closely for the shot, that the gentlemanly thing to do afterwards would be to ask the snake's father for permission to marry.
06-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #27

When I had my K-5, I would always take my 21 mm Ltd, but that was because I normally do landscape shots like mountains, harbors and waterfalls. I would have a zoom on the camera but put on the 21 if I wanted a little better image quality. If you do street photography it is probably a little wide and for general purpose shots, your subject might be a little small. I bought the Pentax 35 mm f/2 FA for a more “normal” 50 mm equivalent for street photography and because I was planning on getting a K-1 and it was full-frame compatible. It is a sharp lens and small in size. I don’t do much macro work, so that wasn’t important to me. If landscapes or buildings are your thing, go 21 mm. For people, I would go with the 35 mm.
06-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My $0.02
Maybe the 16-85?
I work with the 18-135 and the 55-300 most of the time, I also carry the 35 Macro for a "fast normal" and the 15 for extra wide.
The two zooms are on my camera most.
If I was buying another short end zoom, I'd seriously consider the 16-85,
06-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #29

As a "single" lens selection I would suggest the 21mm. (Unless your doing a lot of portraits)
Yes the FOV is going to be deferent with the 21mm compared to the 35mm lens but you can always crop. With the 35mm lens you could always stitch photos together to increase your FOV but it takes a little more time than cropping.
I'd say get a 21mm LTD & keep your eyes out for a inexpensive DA 35mm. (This will not help you with macro work though &#128533
06-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rptdc Quote
HD Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited ..or..
HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro
I have 15 too, I used to have 35 and 28, but when talk about walk around lens for apsc, 21 is the king for me.

But I guess, you have to think about your surrounding + your shooting style too. Buildings around me are very tall and I like capture urban landscape. 21 is perfect for me. if you like to capture portrait of strangers, 21 might not do the job but 50 could be a better candidate.

If I wanted a 35 for venomous snakes shot, I would make sure it dead first. I mean .. D . E . A . D…

Last edited by pakinjapan; 06-13-2018 at 11:09 PM.