Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF) for close ups?

Last summer, I acquired a Pentax DA 18-250mm ED AL (IF) lens. Due to some physical issues, I haven't been able to get out and put it to use, but this afternoon, I wandered over into my neighbor's flower garden and took a few close ups with it.

It's not in the same league as my FA-100mm f:2.8 macro, to be sure.... but, all things considered, I was fairly pleased with the images it produced, considering that it's a hyper-zoom lens. I was also impressed with the bokeh. Most were shot within 8" or so of the subject.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
4 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are very pretty! The lens certainly works for these photos.
Are you using your bright red racing camera here, photo taking speeds were 20% faster?
4 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
These are very pretty! The lens certainly works for these photos.
Are you using your bright red racing camera here, photo taking speeds were 20% faster?

Yes, Bert.... overall I was pleased with them. Actually they were better than I expected, considering they were close ups. I'm taking my great grandson to the Boise Zoo tomorrow and this will be the lens I'll be using. It should cover just about any situation I will likely encounter.

And yep, I used the Ferrari K-50. I had to ease off on the ISO because the shutter speed was just too dang fast!
4 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That was my first lens and it came before my k100d. It is surprisingly good. I got great pictures with it. I don't use it much now. On the 6mp ccd sensor its not much different from much better lenses. Last time i used it was at the zoo.

3 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

It is a fine lens, especially on the wide-to-middle end, and since it the minimum focus distance is about a foot through the whole range, yes it can be quite good for close-ups.
3 Days Ago   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check out what folks have used in this thread

The Bokeh Club - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

one of those photos was with my D FA 150-450mm zoom

The Bokeh Club - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com