Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 12:33 AM - 6 Likes   #1

Another good macro lens.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

For about 7-8 years I am working with my oldie Pentax 100 mm F 2.8 macro lens (it was used as I bought it) and Pentax K-3 camera. Together with macro flash I achieved quite satisfying results. As the years pass, I have noticed that quality of pictures have changed, very often image is not in focus and so on. So I decided to buy a new macro lens for Pentax. I would like to ask for advice.
I have read that Pentax 100 mm is good as Tamron 90 mm lens, but maybe there are other lenses that are a bit better than Pentax 100 mm f 2.8? I prefer macro zoom lens. I would be very grateful for your answers!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-15-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Last one is top-notch... the different colors work together very well.
I would probably also try a tighter, but it's already very very good like this.
06-15-2018, 06:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with LensBeginner, they're all pretty good, and that last one is just great! Very good use
06-15-2018, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's nothing wrong with any of those images.

I don't think you need a new lens at all.

06-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Did you see this.....
Macro-bokeh-test - PentaxForums.com

or this
Pentax FA* 200mm f/4.0 Macro IF ED Lens 200 f4.0 f4 SMC | eBay

How far the camera will be from the subject is the big reason for more focl length. But they all look pretty good to me.
06-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Precious Quote
As the years pass, I have noticed that quality of pictures have changed, very often image is not in focus and so on.
Those shots look great! You've clearly got an eye for composition, which is more important than any equipment.

I'm thinking that your lens has probably not changed (unless it has quietly filled up with haze or fungus). My old screw mount Takumar macro lenses still perform superbly. I believe a number of Forum members regularly use macro lenses that predate your F 100. I'm wondering if somehow there have been changes happening behind your camera that a new lens might not address.

How do you focus? Viewfinder? Live view with focus peaking? Perhaps your eyesight has changed? I still have trouble nailing focus, but it's seldom my gear that's at fault.

Are your hands steady? I know mine shake, but I'm still determined to shoot hand held. If that means I have to take more shots to get keepers, so be it.

Are you shooting different subjects now than you were before? I've been doing a lot of shooting at higher magnifications. Going back to "just" 1:1 seems very distant and far away. My 1:1 lenses haven't changed, but what I'm shooting and how I want things to look has. I've had a longer focal length 1:1 macro on my "want" list for some time; currently 70mm is my longest lens in this regard. But with the more than 1:1 stuff I've been doing, the longer focal length wouldn't really help, unless used as the primary lens of a lens stack. If your capabilities or needs have changed, you should find that out before buying another lens, because a new lens might not solve the problems you are encountering.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 06-15-2018 at 02:40 PM.
06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How in heaven did you manage to capture this last picture? Was the critter frozen before taking the shot? It's amazing.

06-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!
I guess I just want to make fresh winds in my macro photography to get better results and I thought that maybe a good new lens could make a difference..
06-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess I just want to make fresh winds in my macro photography to get better results and I thought that maybe a good new lens could make a difference..
99/100... it doesn't.
But it's certainly more enjoyable to play with a new toy train, so to speak...
06-18-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

With macro, going to manual focus when the placement of the focal plane is critical can make more difference than a new lens.
06-18-2018, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

...or you could buy a rail
06-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Why would you need a new lens? These shots are very good! If you need to convince yourself that water resistance is important, then the D-FA 100 WR is the lens for you, but you are doing great work with what you have here. I would be proud to claim any of these images.
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you mean replace your macro to do macro i can't see why since the iq is great already and the difference in focal length is cms closer or farther away. If its to use also for non macro i can understand.
If this is the case you should clarify and i am sure you will get more guided answers.
06-18-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Why would you need a new lens? These shots are very good! If you need to convince yourself that water resistance is important, then the D-FA 100 WR is the lens for you, but you are doing great work with what you have here. I would be proud to claim any of these images.
To go on from here, you might want to experiment with focus stacking.
06-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
To go on from here, you might want to experiment with focus stacking.
...hence the rail I was suggesting!