Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2018, 02:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M42 adapter with flange for aperture pin

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena with the aperture pin. I really don't want to do any surgery on it. I know there is an M42 adapter with an additional flange to depress the pin. Question is, does anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks

06-15-2018, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #2

Kipon adapter with M42 mount lens to Pentax K K-3 K-5II K-50 K-30 K-01 camera | eBay

Note: the flange may interfere with later Takumar screw-mount lenses that have the aperture settings lever. Caution is advised when using those lenses and this type of adapter.
06-15-2018, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yikes! That's not cheap! I have two of the standard adapters, (a Pentax and a pixco, which is actually rather good) so I will use them with my Takumars. As for this one, I will keep looking but probably end up getting one of these. Thanks

Edit: found one slightly cheaper from Europe, (£32) it is worth it and will see plenty of use. I only recently realised I wasn't using my old m42s correctly it will be interesting to see how the lens performs when it is not handicapped as much by the idiot behind the camera

Last edited by Cerebum; 06-15-2018 at 03:12 AM.
06-15-2018, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I use that Kipon adapter with inner flange and it's very good quality. However, it may not work how you want it to... Some lenses require the aperture pin to be pushed in considerably further than others in order to fully operate the diaphragm. The flange on these adapters may not depress the pin far enough, depending on the individual lens. As a result, you could have the lens set at f/8 but in reality it would only be stopped down to, say, f/5.6.

06-15-2018, 03:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On my CZ the pin only holds the aperture open when you open up to focus, however if you focus through the darkness the aperture is OK I have a Helios 44-4 that I am going to have a look at. Weird thing is, despite the fact that I was using them incorrectly, my vintage lenses have still produced great results
06-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I know some find it scary but superglue works and you don't have to open up the lens. Easily removable with a dab of acetone. (As long as the mount is not plastic -- acetone will melt that.) Some are easy to fix from the inside, some are difficult to open up and I'd rather just glue them. Never had a problem.

Which lens is it? It doesn't have a auto/manual switch on the side?
06-15-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's one I just ordered that's half the price. I have not received it yet, but it was immediately sent - so far feeling good about the transaction. Also, I made an offer for a couple bucks less, and it was accepted:

FLANGED M42 LENS TO PENTAX K MOUNT ADAPTER TO INFINITY BRAND NEW (1 pcs.) | eBay

06-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Here's one I just ordered that's half the price. I have not received it yet, but it was immediately sent - so far feeling good about the transaction. Also, I made an offer for a couple bucks less, and it was accepted:

FLANGED M42 LENS TO PENTAX K MOUNT ADAPTER TO INFINITY BRAND NEW (1 pcs.) | eBay

Please post back here when you get it and tell us if it is any good.
06-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Please post back here when you get it and tell us if it is any good.
Will do!

06-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I know some find it scary but superglue works ......

Which lens is it? It doesn't have a auto/manual switch on the side?
Its an aluminium Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8. The aperture ring is spring loaded, you turn that to open the aperture for focusing as for superglue, that's way too scary for me
06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a used Kipon one. The flange did not press the pin all the way down, so I cut up an old credit card to make a kind of washer. Works fine.
06-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got my new Kipon one today and it is just too large. It will press into the opening on the camera but is too tight to turn. It is the ring that fits flush into the recess. I think it is probably just a layer of paint too large so intend to rub it down rather than spending money posting it back to Germany. In the meanwhile I have ordered one of the black ones. Can anyone suggest something abrasive enough to skim the adapter without damaging it?

Grumble grumble grumble
06-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I got my new Kipon one today and it is just too large. It will press into the opening on the camera but is too tight to turn. It is the ring that fits flush into the recess. I think it is probably just a layer of paint too large so intend to rub it down rather than spending money posting it back to Germany. In the meanwhile I have ordered one of the black ones. Can anyone suggest something abrasive enough to skim the adapter without damaging it?

Grumble grumble grumble
Mine is a tight fit too - much tighter than the original Pentax adapter. It won't rotate into place using finger pressure, but needs the tool to fit and remove it. The benefit of this is that you don't get any "wobble" with lenses that don't press up against the camera's own lens mount - lenses with narrow "necks", such as the old Helios-44 and 44-2, for example.

Before you start sanding or filing away material, place the adapter flat in the mount and, using the correct tool, try just a little more force than you might expect should be necessary. I think you'll find it should move into place, albeit quite tightly
06-18-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Mine is a tight fit too - much tighter than the original Pentax adapter. It won't rotate into place using finger pressure, but needs the tool to fit and remove it. The benefit of this is that you don't get any "wobble" with lenses that don't press up against the camera's own lens mount - lenses with narrow "necks", such as the old Helios-44 and 44-2, for example.

Before you start sanding or filing away material, place the adapter flat in the mount and, using the correct tool, try just a little more force than you might expect should be necessary. I think you'll find it should move into place, albeit quite tightly
It really was too tight to move so I set about it with some very fine paper, so fine, you could use it to wipe your b...... Anyway, 20 minutes later, it fits, albeit still snugly. It also works brilliantly and without a credit card shim it still needs the tool to fit and remove but we have a winner I. Have tested it with a czt, a Helios and a tak and all appear to shut down perfectly time to take some photos
06-18-2018, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It really was too tight to move so I set about it with some very fine paper, so fine, you could use it to wipe your b......
LOL

Anyway, 20 minutes later, it fits, albeit still snugly. It also works brilliantly and without a credit card shim it still needs the tool to fit and remove but we have a winner I. Have tested it with a czt, a Helios and a tak and all appear to shut down perfectly time to take some photos
Excellent news, and good work! Also, good news re closing down of the diaphragm. Just bear it in mind when trying other M42 lenses with an aperture pin... You might come across a few that don't push down far enough... but you can always try a washer or shim of some sort if and when that happens