Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nope, There is a pic of it in one of the reviews
Cool! I found it on review of the Pentax-K 20/4. It is 58mm and intended for use on the K-series lenses listed on the side. It might work on the M 20/4 with a 49-58 step-up ring. Here is another photo of the same hood and another similar model on the guide page for K-series hoods.

Guide to Pentax K series lens hoods - PentaxForums.com

I searched high and low and could not find a similar 49mm hood specified for 20/4.

Steve

06-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ntrao Quote
Is there any cheap alternate hood suggestions for the 20mm lens. Please help!
You've received plenty of input already but this one works marvelously for me on the M20...
49mm thread (obviously), 72mm cap width. Attached with a filter behind it you'll notice just a *touch* vingnette in the extreme corners but that's about it (and I do mean a "touch"). It's the largest in this cheapo set that bought several months back (tired of adjustibles). No crossthreading. Nicely made. Solid. Not much more to ask for at the price. FWIW.

49mm Standard/Telephoto/Wide Angle/Vented Curved Metal Lens Hood Kit Set 4pcs | eBay

Addendum: It's from China, slow-post. It will take forever to reach you (mine to just shy of 3 weeks), but there you have it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 4  Photo 

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-16-2018 at 03:28 PM.
06-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
You've received plenty of input already but this one works marvelously for me on the M20...
49mm thread (obviously), 72mm cap width. Attached with a filter behind it you'll notice just a *touch* vingnette in the extreme corners but that's about it (and I do mean a "touch"). It's the largest in this cheapo set that bought several months back (tired of adjustibles). No crossthreading. Nicely made. Solid. Not much more to ask for at the price. FWIW.

49mm Standard/Telephoto/Wide Angle/Vented Curved Metal Lens Hood Kit Set 4pcs | eBay

Addendum: It's from China, slow-post. It will take forever to reach you (mine to just shy of 3 weeks), but there you have it.
Those look a lot like the generic hoods I get from heavystar (Heavy2star) on eBay. I take it you don't use the locking adapter

Steve
06-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those look a lot like the generic hoods I get from heavystar (Heavy2star) on eBay. I take it you don't use the locking adapter
Haha - you made me go back and look at the description. A reference to another, non-circular hood perhaps? I received no such convenient adapter.

06-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
this one works marvelously for me on the M20...
49mm thread (obviously), 72mm cap width.
Sure will give it a try, I did searched for only one wide angle lens and lot of results came up in ebay. This one even got a cap

49mm Wide Angle Metal Wide-angle Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Camera+free 72mm Cap 6971287082840 | eBay
06-17-2018, 12:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ntrao Quote
Sure will give it a try, I did searched for only one wide angle lens and lot of results came up in ebay. This one even got a cap

49mm Wide Angle Metal Wide-angle Lens Hood for Canon Nikon Camera+free 72mm Cap 6971287082840 | eBay
Yeah, honestly, they're pretty nice given the price. There are a number of things, particularly "clones" of devices and what-not, that I don't like purchasing from Chinese vendor. But a lenshood, sure. yeah the auction I bid from on those I linked to all had lens caps - I think mine cost $12 USD with that addition. Exact same set though.
I'm not a collector and in most cases not looking for genuine or willing to pay the cost of a genuine one for something like a hood or cap after its been seperated from its lens by various sellers to list individually. I understand the practice very well, but it irks me a little bit.
06-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, honestly, they're pretty nice given the price. There are a number of things, particularly "clones" of devices and what-not, that I don't like purchasing from Chinese vendor. But a lenshood, sure. yeah the auction I bid from on those I linked to all had lens caps - I think mine cost $12 USD with that addition. Exact same set though.
I'm not a collector and in most cases not looking for genuine or willing to pay the cost of a genuine one for something like a hood or cap after its been seperated from its lens by various sellers to list individually. I understand the practice very well, but it irks me a little bit.
A little? It's like separating a good mother from their beloved children!

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk

06-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
A little? It's like separating a good mother from their beloved children!

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
Ja I was being polited.
12-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I was looking for a hood for this lens as well, on a FF camera - and realising that the hood for the 645 A 3.5/35mm (FF 21mm) is almost impractically wide, I went for this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/eeAAAOSwnDdfGBRV/s-l1600.jpg
But it is wide enough to keep it off the lens while in the bag...
12-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #25
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lens hood which came with (or was purchased along side of) my Pentax-M 20mm F4 in the early 80's:
Attached Images

12-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Hold on tight, it is rare to find one! Do you still use the lens?
12-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #27
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Hold on tight, it is rare to find one! Do you still use the lens?
If you're referring to my posting, yes; but not that often since I'm mostly shooting digital and have the DA 15 and DA 12-24. I'm actually not that much of a wide-angle shooter, nor telephoto either.
12-20-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

My hood arrived and it actually works very well. Solid metal construction. Round - the square plastic original is somewhat easier, also because it snaps on, whereas mine is a screwed on version. Still relatively compact thanks, I guess, to the 49ř ring.
12-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Here is the actual hood:

12-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Here is the actual hood:
You mean this one?

Steve