Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 01:05 AM - 16 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(Beta) Pentax Lens Compability Checker Tool

I have developed a new tool for PF which can show you the compatibility between any Pentax digital camera and any first-party or any current third-party lens.

I consider it in beta stage, which means there can be inaccuracies in the information while we iron out missing pieces of data. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera

Name:  compatibility_tool.jpg
Views: 3619
Size:  97.2 KB

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just tried it. On phone and it worked. I have a suggestion. Most people will be looking for a lens on a specific camera. I choose the k100d and it was a pain to keep re-entering the camera every time. My example was I wanted to check what 55-300 would work.
06-17-2018, 01:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I checked it the camera and lens details stayed in, but then I continued searching from the results screen. Presumably the K3 & K3ii are combined. The tool works great no niggles here
06-17-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

great idee adam, !!!!!

06-17-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That was quick.
06-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Incorrect. Just some minor vignetting which isn't a problem in most situations and is easily dealt with when it is visible. It works like a charm on FF. Whatever Ricoh's official stance on this is the DA 35 2.4 is a no brainer for the K-1.
06-17-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

Incorrect. Just some minor vignetting which isn't a problem in most situations and is easily dealt with when it is visible. It works like a charm on FF. Whatever Ricoh's official stance on this is the DA 35 2.4 is a no brainer for the K-1.
The FA31 and Sigma 35mm Art probably vignette more.

06-17-2018, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Works correctly on mobile with Opera and user agent set to desktop.
Tried 10-30/3.5 with K-01 and K100D, and it correctly warned about no AF in the second case.

Thanks for implementing such a useful function in the forum.
06-17-2018, 04:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thumbs up
06-17-2018, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! This is a much needed reference tool. Kudos to you Adam!

It would be helpful to expand this to include film bodies also at some point in the future, but this is a big white already I'm sure.
06-17-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good idea, Adam!

You might want to note that, on the various lenses incorporating Power Zoom, if the power zoon works at all, the following features don't work, although the basic zoom does:

Image Size Tracking
Zoom Clip Mode
Auto Zoom Effect Mode.
06-17-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Great idea Adam!
Seems to work nicely here, I could see this being a useful feature to old and new Pentaxians alike
06-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I know this sort of thing is contentious - one person's "minor" is another's show stopper. Has anyone come up with an objective measure, e.g. worst-case is -2.5 stops @ f/5.6 on FF (we'll assume that's in the corners...)? Or if the worst case is "black" in the corners, a reference circle size: one could have "the -3 stop circle is 0.81x the frame diagonal at f/5.6" (that would give you a 1.23 crop factor, if you felt that 3 stops were correctable). I note the review of the DA 35mm f/2.4 has -1 stop in the corners wide open, even on APS-C, so it could get complicated... And that's without considering zooming and focus breathing!

One point on the search - you seem to have to know the lens name pretty exactly, and even then some simply won't come up - I tried the SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 and everything that comes up is f/2.8 except the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2. Where's my "Hollywood"?

Cheers

Jonathan
P.S. (almost?) exactly halfway there! Livin' on a prayer...
06-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very nice, thank you! It would be great if this could be expanded to include legacy 3rd party lenses, perhaps with user
input. A great way to document issues like the Ricoh pin.

Nice to see the Q series in the database, but it appears the 110 lenses are missing.
06-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
I know this sort of thing is contentious - one person's "minor" is another's show stopper. Has anyone come up with an objective measure, e.g. worst-case is -2.5 stops @ f/5.6 on FF (we'll assume that's in the corners...)? Or if the worst case is "black" in the corners, a reference circle size: one could have "the -3 stop circle is 0.81x the frame diagonal at f/5.6" (that would give you a 1.23 crop factor, if you felt that 3 stops were correctable). I note the review of the DA 35mm f/2.4 has -1 stop in the corners wide open, even on APS-C, so it could get complicated... And that's without considering zooming and focus breathing!

One point on the search - you seem to have to know the lens name pretty exactly, and even then some simply won't come up - I tried the SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 and everything that comes up is f/2.8 except the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2. Where's my "Hollywood"?

Cheers

Jonathan
P.S. (almost?) exactly halfway there! Livin' on a prayer...
Sometimes I need to look in the lens review database to find the correct naming convention. They’re all in there. The biggest issue is using ‘SMC Pentax’ for K lenses

Try SMC Pentax 28mm