Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@adam I just noticed that the actual instructions on the page do not clarify this is limited to digital bodies only.

06-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Very nice! This is a much needed reference tool. Kudos to you Adam!

It would be helpful to expand this to include film bodies also at some point in the future, but this is a big white already I'm sure.
I added PZ compatibility info to the checker. It's not going to go into that level of detail, since no DSLRs support any of those features, but it will identify bodies on which the lenses must be zoomed manually.

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Incorrect. Just some minor vignetting which isn't a problem in most situations and is easily dealt with when it is visible. It works like a charm on FF. Whatever Ricoh's official stance on this is the DA 35 2.4 is a no brainer for the K-1.

Until we add objective data on this to the database (we already have all the tests done, but unfortunately the folks doing the analysis haven't pulled through yet), any lens that's not officially FF compatible will be shown as such. I've toned down the message shown, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
One point on the search - you seem to have to know the lens name pretty exactly, and even then some simply won't come up - I tried the SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 and everything that comes up is f/2.8 except the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2. Where's my "Hollywood"?

Great feedback, I have updated the filtering to return the shortest matching results first, so the K-series lens would show up for your search.

It would be helpful to expand this to include film bodies also at some point in the future, but this is a big white already I'm sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Very nice, thank you! It would be great if this could be expanded to include legacy 3rd party lenses, perhaps with userinput. A great way to document issues like the Ricoh pin.

Non-current third-party lenses are definitely something I want to get to, especially the recently-discontinued Sigma models. I will work on setting up a system that will allow users to contribute listings. It's not quite trivial because we essentially need a full set of specs in a consistent format for our lens finder and compatibility tools to work, but it should be doable.

Film cameras are interesting but lower priority, because manual lenses are the go-to there. This table covers film compatibility pretty well for now:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent!
06-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I likey!

A suggestion.

I like the autofill when I am somewhat just entering a lens and see the list. IE I searched for Sigma to find what lenses showed up.

But also, might be cool to be able to drill down easier by Lens Manufacturer, Focal Length, Min Aperture, to narrow down what you are looking for.

IE I think if you are searching for a specific lens it works fine, but if I wanted to find lenses in a certain range, then this would not help as much. For instance looking for an ultra wide lens for my K-1 Be cool to see all the lenses that match up because I might not know of all the options. IE Irix, or legacy glass.

06-18-2018, 11:00 AM   #20

Question: what lenses are provided? I tried looking up "Rokinon Ultra‑Wide Angle 10mm f/2.8" or "Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens", but I did not get any selections after entering first few letters. I understand if it would be an old lens, like my auto-Revuenon (though there are several auto-Takumar), but these lenses are new and available for sale.
06-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Adam Very new tool. Well done!
06-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Evie Quote
Question: what lenses are provided? I tried looking up "Rokinon Ultra‑Wide Angle 10mm f/2.8" or "Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens", but I did not get any selections after entering first few letters. I understand if it would be an old lens, like my auto-Revuenon (though there are several auto-Takumar), but these lenses are new and available for sale.

Adam said this in one of the replies:
QuoteQuote:
Non-current third-party lenses are definitely something I want to get to, especially the recently-discontinued Sigma models. I will work on setting up a system that will allow users to contribute listings. It's not quite trivial because we essentially need a full set of specs in a consistent format for our lens finder and compatibility tools to work, but it should be doable.
So I assume only current lenses except for Pentax? And that may be incorrect - it may really be only Pentax largely.

06-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by ebk Quote
great idee adam, !!!!!
Yes, good idea, however, until the SMC Pentax 50 / 1.2 is checked, the program will display an error,
maybe not talking about the beta version.
06-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #24

Adam said this in one of the replies:

So I assume only current lenses except for Pentax? And that may be incorrect - it may really be only Pentax largely.
I understand "not current", but the two lenses I mentioned are current. I would understand if that would be all third party lenses, or only old lenses. I did look Tamron 90mm and Bigma, both were found (and I have these lenses for a while). But the lenses I mentioned are still sold and quite new (btw, Bower 24mm, according the BH, technologically matches Rokinon 24mm and Samyang 24mm - same factory, different brand. Samyang is in database).
06-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I likey!

A suggestion.

I like the autofill when I am somewhat just entering a lens and see the list. IE I searched for Sigma to find what lenses showed up.

But also, might be cool to be able to drill down easier by Lens Manufacturer, Focal Length, Min Aperture, to narrow down what you are looking for.

IE I think if you are searching for a specific lens it works fine, but if I wanted to find lenses in a certain range, then this would not help as much. For instance looking for an ultra wide lens for my K-1 Be cool to see all the lenses that match up because I might not know of all the options. IE Irix, or legacy glass.
You can use the lens search for any and all filtering:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Click on specs, then check compatibility to verify that the lens works. But you'll likely be able to deduce this from the data shown to begin with

All current third-party lenses, and all Pentax K, Q, M42, M37, 645, and 6x7 lenses.

"Current" in this case means readily available from major authorized outlets (if you feel a lens is missing, holler).

Pentax lenses: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
Third-party lenses: Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mariusz_B Quote
Yes, good idea, however, until the SMC Pentax 50 / 1.2 is checked, the program will display an error,
maybe not talking about the beta version.
What error did you see?

Here's the entry:
Pentax K-1 and SMC Pentax 50mm F1.2 Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

Adam

06-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #27

In truth, every lens with K mount will be compatible. Any lens with M-42 mount will also be compatible.
The base covering everything is possible, but will the cost not exceed the value of the target?
It is necessary to point only to old lenses that have a significant utility value and can easily compete with the latest products of reputable companies.
06-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/Pentax+K-1/Samyang+24mm+F3.5+ED+AS+UMC+Tilt%2FShift/
Pentax K-1 and Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

All Samyang rebrands are listed as Samyang. If you're not sure, just enter the focal length and aperture and you should see the suggestion.

Adam

06-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mariusz_B Quote
In truth, every lens with K mount will be compatible. Any lens with M-42 mount will also be compatible.
The base covering everything is possible, but will the cost not exceed the value of the target?
It is necessary to point only to old lenses that have a significant utility value and can easily compete with the latest products of reputable companies.
You'd think it's that simple, but it isn't. There are quite a few edge cases.

Adam

06-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'd think it's that simple, but it isn't. There are quite a few edge cases.
Are you saying that there is just a lens of a reputable company and a very good lens made in the garage?
I propose to speak about actual utility values - not even those declared.
What are these values for me?
See the image attached.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo