Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #46

Love the new lens compatibility database - as a new user of Pentax it helps alot.

Just a few ideas below from using it a little today:

* I entered K5 as a camera and nothing came up so I re-entered it properly (K-5) and of course it worked but it may be worth doing some simple stripping of dashes or other non-essential characters when matching between database and user input to avoid this. Same as many online forms not accepting credit card numbers, phone numebrs with spaces etc - so easy to fix.
* I think it would be useful when you enter your camera and lens and get back a result to have a link below that that says "Show All Compatible Lenses" for this camera. As a new user you have no idea what lens name to enter so to flip the idea on the head to show me everything I can use on a K-5 for example with sortable columns including the review ratings, weight, M or AF, APS/FF and any warnings for use on that camera etc. The info is all here on the site but it is sort of spread across a few different sections. Really I just want to see everything I can use so I can find a 28mm lens that is below 300g that will work on a K-3 as an example
* As mentioned above by others film cameras would be a fantastic addition at some point.

06-21-2018, 01:18 AM   #47
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rollbahn Quote
* I entered K5 as a camera and nothing came up so I re-entered it properly (K-5) and of course it worked but it may be worth doing some simple stripping of dashes or other non-essential characters when matching between database and user input to avoid this. Same as many online forms not accepting credit card numbers, phone numebrs with spaces etc - so easy to fix.
Great suggestion- the fix should now be in.

QuoteOriginally posted by rollbahn Quote
* I think it would be useful when you enter your camera and lens and get back a result to have a link below that that says "Show All Compatible Lenses" for this camera. As a new user you have no idea what lens name to enter so to flip the idea on the head to show me everything I can use on a K-5 for example with sortable columns including the review ratings, weight, M or AF, APS/FF and any warnings for use on that camera etc. The info is all here on the site but it is sort of spread across a few different sections. Really I just want to see everything I can use so I can find a 28mm lens that is below 300g that will work on a K-3 as an example

Another good idea, though it gets tricky because (a) we don't have a list of all compatible lenses (old third-party ones are missing), and (b) that list is very long. I could see this being integrated into our lens finder as a filter instead, and it could then be linked from any page throughout the site.

I did add a list of key incompatible lenses to the current page, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-21-2018, 02:24 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've added a list to the main page:
Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

Trying to be as conservative as possible with the summary, only pointing out lenses that you definitely wouldn't want to get specifically for that body.
Wow, nice work. I was not expecting it to happen so quick.

A list like this was not exactly what I was thinking of, but it works just as well.
06-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #49

Great suggestion- the fix should now be in.
Fantastic thanks Adam - much appreciated.

Another good idea, though it gets tricky because (a) we don't have a list of all compatible lenses (old third-party ones are missing), and (b) that list is very long. I could see this being integrated into our lens finder as a filter instead, and it could then be linked from any page throughout the site.

I did add a list of key incompatible lenses to the current page, though.
Agreed about the long list but I think a long table that can be sorted wouldn't be an issue and gets you the info nice and quickly but I think the lens finder page filter idea would work just as well and keep everything simple at your end too.

06-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Much more helpful than anything I've seen to date. Really useful tool. Thanks Adam.
06-24-2018, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #51
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've added a few more things:

1. Compatibility filtering is now supported in our Lens Search, for compatible, partially compatible, and incompatible lenses. You can select multiple cameras to ensure that a lens works with all of your cameras. Examples:
Lenses incompatible with Pentax K110D | PentaxForums.com
Lenses partially compatible with Pentax K-1 II and Pentax K-1 | PentaxForums.com
Lenses compatible with Pentax KP | PentaxForums.com

2. If you only enter a lens in the compatibility checker, its compatibility for all cameras will be shown:
HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Camera Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

3. If you only enter a camera, a link to the Lens Search compatible lens listing will be provided. Currently, the full list of lenses in the same mount is also shown directly on the page, though I am considering removing it or refining it due to unnecessary clutter.
Pentax K-1 II Lens Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

4. When you view a camera and lens combination, you will get the view from (2) and also a list of other lenses incompatible with that camera
Pentax *ist D and SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED[IF] Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

Also, the correct compatibility info will now be shown for the Pentax Q and adapted focus-by-wire lenses:
Pentax Q and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

Enjoy and please keep the feedback coming!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-24-2018, 01:58 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think this addition makes this very powerful. It was already great but multiple approaches allows for the different ways people will come to the questions of compatibility. Impressive.

06-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow at this rate of development this tool will soon be making me coffee while I search. Excellent job
06-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent and it is getting better
06-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Wow at this rate of development this tool will soon be making me coffee while I search. Excellent job
It doesn't yet? bummer...
08-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #56

What a great tool. I quite often search craigslist to find lens, and am cautious of whether it will function with my KP.
09-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adam

Great idea, one thing I noticed is you did not address flash compatibility, the *istD for example even on a Takumar lens will give TTL flash . Not sure if it is in the scope of the tool, also, and I know this is probably outside scope is third party lenses
09-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Adam

Great idea, one thing I noticed is you did not address flash compatibility, the *istD for example even on a Takumar lens will give TTL flash . Not sure if it is in the scope of the tool, also, and I know this is probably outside scope is third party lenses
@Adam,
"the *istD for example even on a Takumar lens will give TTL flash"

After all, a correctly set TTL lamp will give the proper exposure of the scene with every good lens, especially with SMC Takumar
I do not know how the other body, but still the SLR Pentax with the TTL lamp will make a properly exposed image. Similarly, it will also be in manual mode with the AT 200 or AF 280 Flash , regardless of whether they will be attached to the body, or remotely activated by means of infrared or (better) radio trigger.

The idea is beautiful, still in the database there are no Pentax manual M42 lenses. Each of them, and in particular Takumara do great with Pentax digital SLRs
09-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Flashes are outside the scope, but third-party lenses are not. We'll be adding more and more third-party lenses as time goes on.

However, a dedicated flash compatibility tool might be a nice addition on its own.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mariusz_B Quote
no Pentax manual M42 lenses
All first-party M42 lenses are in there.

Adam

09-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #60

Adam, this is a very nice surprise!
Recently I checked and still showed no position.
Now it is also with a redirection to the specification of the lens!
Such possibilities make this tool perfect!

From lenses of foreign production, only Kiron 28mm / f2 convinced me - it works perfectly with body K 10; K-7; K-3. (type K mount)
This lens gives a fantastic bokeh effect!

I will just add that when working with my lenses, I control the focus in the enlarged live view. You can count the model's eyelashes