Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax DA 55-300mm Lens

Hi, I'm thinking of adding a Pentax 55-300mm lens to my collection. I'd like to know the difference between the DA series and the DA-L series. Thanks, Jim

06-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
take a look at this:

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article . . .

DA lenses (with a few exceptions) feature a Quick Shift focusing system that allows the focus to be fine tuned with the focusing ring on the lens without setting the camera focus selector to "MF".

DA L lenses
are a light weight edition of their DA counterparts. They have a bayonet mount made of plastic rather than stainless steel and they do not have the quick shift focusing capability.

DA* Lenses: The DA series includes a number of "star" lenses (DA*) with top notch optical and mechanical engineering. All DA* lenses have the Quick Shift focusing system and - despite not having the WR designation - are also weather sealed.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

look for reviews under " lenses " above:

If you are looking for Pentax lens reviews or technical specifications, you've come to the right place! This is a comprehensive database of user reviews of Pentax interchangeable SLR lenses, complete with information on every Pentax lens ever produced from K-mount (digital and film) to mirrorless to medium format. See also our in-depth lens reviews.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/#ixzz5Ij1KnEkL
06-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA has a metal bayonet and quick shift focusing. The DA L has a plastic bayonet and no quick shift. The DA comes with a lens pouch and lens hood, the DA L was only sold as part of a kit and doesn't come with those. The HD DA WR version has better coatings and is WR. There was never a WR version of the DA L.
06-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The DA has a metal bayonet and quick shift focusing. The DA L has a plastic bayonet and no quick shift. The DA comes with a lens pouch and lens hood, the DA L was only sold as part of a kit and doesn't come with those. The HD DA WR version has better coatings and is WR. There was never a WR version of the DA L.
DA L lenses are easily found available on the " experienced " lenses 2nd hand market such as the forum's market place ( " buy/sell " )

06-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
DA L lenses are easily found available on the " experienced " lenses 2nd hand market such as the forum's market place ( " buy/sell " )
And they were easily found available new on the gray market. But they were originally intended to be sold as a kit lens...
06-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a few minor differences between the DA and DA-L lenses. The DA is f/4-5.6 and the DA-L is f/4-5.8 (although it really isn't much of a difference). As mentioned, the DA has a metal mount, quick shift and came with a lens hood and pouch. The DA-L did not.

I've had the DA since it came out, and have always been very pleased with it. If you don't need weather resistance, I'd highly recommend the DA over the DA-L. Although, if you have a newer camera, take a look at the new PLM version, my understanding is the auto focus is phenomenal.
06-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I hate to be contrary but the kit lenses that came with my K-50 were the DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200 WR. I don't believe the DAL 55-300 or the basic DA 55-300 are water resistant though. (Had the non WR DA 55-300.)

06-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

the above shows how various Pentax camera bodies do with different Pentax lenses
06-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
Hi, I'm thinking of adding a Pentax 55-300mm lens to my collection. I'd like to know the difference between the DA series and the DA-L series. Thanks, Jim
The difference between the two series is covered very well above, but be aware that there are four variants of this lens:

55-300mm: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

The F4.5-6.3 "PLM" version, which is only compatible with the K-50 and newer (bodies from 2013+), has insanely fast autofocus. This is the version I would recommend getting if you have a compatible camera.

You can check compatibility here to be sure:

Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-17-2018, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I hate to be contrary but the kit lenses that came with my K-50 were the DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200 WR. I don't believe the DAL 55-300 or the basic DA 55-300 are water resistant though. (Had the non WR DA 55-300.)
I was referring only to the 55-300.
06-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The difference between the two series is covered very well above, but be aware that there are four variants of this lens:

55-300mm: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

The F4.5-6.3 "PLM" version, which is only compatible with the K-50 and newer (bodies from 2013+), has insanely fast autofocus. This is the version I would recommend getting if you have a compatible camera.

You can check compatibility here to be sure:

Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
I have a K-5, I knew about the different mount material but not the other stuff. Jim
06-17-2018, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bear in mind that, apart from the PLM version, all the other versions of the 55-300 share the same optical design. A DA-L is optically as good as a HD WR (minus copy-to-copy variations), if you're on the cheap.
06-18-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Bear in mind that, apart from the PLM version, all the other versions of the 55-300 share the same optical design. A DA-L is optically as good as a HD WR (minus copy-to-copy variations), if you're on the cheap.
or you have decide you don't want or need the HD instead of the SMC and you can take photos, as many have for many years without WR

" cheap " may not be the correct word for that calculus

the mounting system ( plastic ) of DA L series has proven itself over time
06-18-2018, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
or you have decide you don't want or need the HD instead of the SMC and you can take photos, as many have for many years without WR

" cheap " may not be the correct word for that calculus

the mounting system ( plastic ) of DA L series has proven itself over time
"cheap" as opposed to "expensive", not to "good quality"
06-18-2018, 03:54 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
"cheap" as opposed to "expensive", not to "good quality"
that is perfectly acceptable and correct

My comment was directed to my fear that too many people would interpret " cheap " as inferior

if there is no difference in the optics and you can live with the other differences do exist there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a DA L version or older versions of a certain lens

the differences between the D FA 100mm F 2.8 macro WR and the D FA 100mm F2.8 macro is an excellent example of what I mean

" The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. . . . "

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews