Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 06:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The princesses are another story, however.
Unfortunately the princesses are what all Pentax lenses are judged by.

I really can't afford them either. They would have cost me what my 60-250 and tamron 300 2.8 cost me. The issue for me used to be, I wanted the lenses to pay for themselves. I just don't see how with the 3 amigos I'd ever make my money back. If I can sell images taken with the 28-015 or 18-135 I've saved myself some money. And while I think the 31 and 77 would improve my images marginally, not enough to make the difference in terms of sale or no sale. But I completely understand people with the money going for one of them.

Another take on this is that opinions change... Not saying yours did, but it's not a problem if it did.
Or as my Asian Studies prof once said (world's third leading expert in Asian erotic art.) "I am under absolutely under no obligation to be consistent.. Arguing consistency is a fall back for people who don't have a better argument."

06-19-2018, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I really can't afford them either. They would have cost me what my 60-250 and tamron 300 2.8 cost me. The issue for me used to be, I wanted the lenses to pay for themselves. I just don't see how with the 3 amigos I'd ever make my money back. If I can sell images taken with the 28-015 or 18-135 I've saved myself some money. And while I think the 31 and 77 would improve my images marginally, not enough to make the difference in terms of sale or no sale. But I completely understand people with the money going for one of them.
I was lucky to get a 77mm for 500$ CAD. And I upgraded (to me it's an upgrade) the DA40 to the FA43 with little expense on my side.

Will you make more money by using "better" lenses? Maybe or maybe not, I'm not in your shoes. Will you enjoy taking pictures more? Maybe or maybe not. I know the two are up there with the 60-250 as part of my all-time favourites (and seeing as I test a lot of lenses, that's saying something).
06-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let's start a thread "What did normhead say?", I'm tired off having people with poor reading comprehension skills telling me what they think I said. You guys can fight it out, I'm done with it.

This whole "you said this ting" can be sorted out with the simple statement.

"What you think you heard is not what i meant to say."
Well, Norm, logically if people are always misunderstanding you, then either everyone's a dummy, or ....
06-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
You didn't answer the question Ian! How does it compare (other than aperture,) at 31mm IQ wise?
I think it's still very good. For the ultimate kind of lens in that focal range, I also have the Sigma 35mm Art, but it's very, very big.

When I got the 20-40 a few weeks ago I rattled off some shots on full frame, and I like the colours and bokeh as well ...

06-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, Norm, logically if people are always misunderstanding you, then either everyone's a dummy, or ....
This is you clackers, it's not everyone.

Where's that post where I ignored someone for promoting primes you claim exists? Any more lies you want to spread?
Tell me again about what an artsy type I am, maybe that will bolster your case, whatever it us.

It seems lately your case is you're right I'm wrong. The whole engineer arrogance thing carried to a new level I guess.

Must be one of those Aussie things where a parade of insults is supposed to be funny.

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2018 at 06:06 PM.
06-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m selling my 20-40 and sticking with the HD 21, 40 and 70. OTOH I might sell all the DA Limiteds and just use the Princesses on both K-1 and KP. I suspect I wouldn’t notice any change in IQ and my bag can already hold the FA’s. I could keep the SMC 15 and 35 as special use lenses.

Screwdrive is plenty fast on both cameras. zipBANG and you’re locked.
06-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems lately your case is you're right I'm wrong.
Oh, like this, just yesterday?

Pentax D FA* 50mm f1.4 and Tokina Opera 50mm f1.4 - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

06-19-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Come on you two; play nicely
06-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Clackers, show me where I ignored someone for promoting primes, You made the charge.

Put up or shut up.

Contrary to your allegations, I don't ignore people for disagreeing with me, but I do ignore people for pretending like my questions don't exist after they say something ignorant and then ignore my requests for clarification.

You have a few minutes to prove your position, although even if you found something you claim is the way
you think it was, I'll be able to explain why you're in error. It's up to you. I am unwilling at this point to continue interaction until you clean up your mess. Your choice. Apologies and retractions, or ignore list.

If you think my comment in the above thread was some kind of previous error, once corrected I saw no reason to comment further. I always got ti the best information possible. My information was wrong, and I've already examined how that happened and will make sure it doesn't happen again. However, that wasn't a personal attack like your posts.

Honestly with your lack of respect, I really don't care one way or the other. If I never see another post of yours, it won't affect my life in any way.

It's completely your choice. I'm only offering this opportunity because you've been a decent dude in the past, and your patience explaining the tech to newbies has been over the top, but, I'm not tolerating this behaviour any further.

Last edited by normhead; 06-20-2018 at 05:39 AM.
06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
bxf
Veteran Member

I often walk around with just the FA31 and FA77 on my K-1
How do you actually do this? Do you stack one on top of the other, and if so, in any particular order? Or is there a hidden mount that enables you to mount two lenses at the same time?
06-20-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I'd say it'S not meant to be compared to the 31.
The question was asked, so let me answer it this way:

Optyczne/Lenstip did tests under comparable circumstances
(same camera, same setup, same analysis software)
of both the FA 31 and the DA 20-40.

At f/8, and 30mm on the zoom,
the DA 20-40 achieved 90% of the resolving power of the FA 31.

That's just a lab test.

As far as real use goes, that varies from user to user.

In my case, the DA 20 - 40 is my most-used lens.
OTOH, I must say (at risk of banning from the forum ? )
that I've never felt the "Princess" calling my name.
I don't like AF without Quick-Shift,
and I don't like the idea of those rabbit-ears on APS-C.

The closest lens I have is a ZK 35/2 Distagon,
and I'm perfectly happy with that. YMMV.
06-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
At f/8, and 30mm on the zoom,
the DA 20-40 achieved 90% of the resolving power of the FA 31.
How did it fare at F1.8 ?

Most lenses are at their best near F8. That's not a very useful comparison. The 31 is designed as a fast prime, for shallow DOF and low light conditions. The 20-40 is a short, high-quality zoom with moderately fast apertures. That's why I wrote that they are not meant to be compared. They don't have the same perks and limitations.

How does the saying goes in English? Horses for races?

In my case, the DA 20 - 40 is my most-used lens.
Good for you. I hesitated between it and the 16-85 at the time. It's an interesting lens.

I've never felt the "Princess" calling my name.
Fair enough.

For the record, I'm the one who tested the three princesses and wrote the article discussing my favourite. The 31 is the only princess I don't own, even after testing it. It's not for me either.

and I don't like the idea of those rabbit-ears on APS-C
Do you mean the hood? I don't mind it.
06-20-2018, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How does the saying goes in English? Horses for races?
Horses for courses. The rhyme is everything

My tenure of the DA20-40 was brief. It was terrible at the short end until about f/8.0, while my DA21 was and still is excellent from f/3.2
So I sent it back to B&H, losing a good deal on return postage. That was the last time I bought a new camera or lens from an overseas shop.

It was a beautiful lens to behold and fondle though, and I'm sure mine was a bad copy. A small part of me keeps thinking my KP needs one to compliment the 55-300PLM, but my DA21, FA31, FA43 combination packs pretty small....
06-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My tenure of the DA20-40 was brief. It was terrible at the short end until about f/8.0,
Two questions, Sandy: which camera were you using, and how did you focus the lens at the short end?

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 07:12 PM ----------

How did it fare at F1.8 ?
How does the FA 31 fare at 20mm?
Most lenses are at their best near F8. That's not a very useful comparison.
Well, by the same methodology,
at f/8 the DA 20 - 40 zoom at 40mm fares 25% better than the DA 40 at the edges.

If you're an "f/8 and be there" photographer,
f/8 performance is what you live by,
especially if you need the depth of field.
06-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two questions, Sandy: which camera were you using, and how did you focus the lens at the short end?
K-3.

It was four and a half years ago - I can't recall exactly how I focussed. The central 1/9th was very sharp, but the other eight sectors were soft and getting progressively worse to the edges, especially at the bottom and worst on the left. Worse than any field curvature I've seen, so I'm sure it was slightly de-centred. It was excellent across the frame at 40mm, even wide open, but I anticipated it getting much more use at the wide end. It's possible I gave up on it too early though....

If I'd bought it locally I would have sent it for repair via the local C.R. Kennedy office and I'd probably still have it.