Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

Pentax Limiteds and DA primes with DC drive or PLM

I am just curious, when I have seen HD Pentax-DA 18-55 f/4-5.6 DC WR RE, what about to use DC drive in Limiteds or other small DA primes.

HD Pentax-DA 18-55 f/4-5.6 DC WR RE
Diam x Length
71 x 41 mm (2.8 x 1.6 in.)
Weight
158 g (5.6 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 39.5 mm (2.5 x 1.58 in.)

Weight
189 g (6.7 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 25 mm (2.5 x 1 in.
Weight
134 g (4.2 oz.)
Only Hood: 15g

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 46.5 mm (2.5 x 1.8 in.)

Weight
215 g (7.6 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 26 mm (2.5 x 1 in.)

Weight
130 g (4.6 oz.)

All you need is just slightly bigger barrel and that is almost all you need. Maybe some tweaks of optical formula, but these lenses are greate and I thing that this could be solid base for MILC kamera. And WR would be nice too. Try to find the same line in Sony ecosystem ...

Limiteds are great addition to high performance lenses and the budget one. Now i understand a KP much more.

Ok back to topic. Do you think, this could happend? Some of forum members write about it somewhere, but I am not sure where.

My argument pro is, that here could be just one barrel for all of these lenses, so this could be relatively cost effective.

And about the cons, I am not sure. I see no one. Maybe, that this lenses wouldn't be so fast, but who cares. F2.8 and anything faster is good enough with good optical formula. And who want faster ones, he can buy the * ones or budget line.

So is this possible or not?

06-18-2018, 07:08 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The older lenses are useable. New resources should go to new designs. Those small lightweight lenses have their place in the world, and the screw drive is the key to keeping them small and lightweight.

Many are clamouring for larger fast focusing silent lenses. If I were ever able to justify the 3 amigos, i'd want them the way they are, small, lightweight, stackable in the smaller pockets of my camera bags. That's part of their charm. These large barrel motor driven lenses have their place, and I certainly love my 28-105 and 18-135, for their quiet fast focus, but I don'tt need all my lenses to be like that.

If on the odd chance a company with 2% market share could split their production of a lens like the 31 ltd, into screw drive and PLM or DC, I'd still go for the screw drive version.
06-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The older lenses are useable. New resources should go to new designs. Those small lightweight lenses have their place in the world, and the screw drive is the key to keeping them small and lightweight.

Many are clamouring for larger fast focusing silent lenses. If I were ever able to justify the 3 amigos, i'd want them the way they are, small, lightweight, stackable in the smaller pockets of my camera bags. That's part of their charm. These large barrel motor driven lenses have their place, and I certainly love my 28-105 and 18-135, for their quiet fast focus, but I don'tt need all my lenses to be like that.

If on the odd chance a company with 2% market share could split their production of a lens like the 31 ltd, into screw drive and PLM or DC, I'd still go for the screw drive version.
I'd go for the quiet one with in-lens motor - but I'm not likely to have the $$$$$ to actually do it, so I guess my "vote" isn't actually worth much. From what is being said in the K-1 section
K-1 II seems popular in Japan - PentaxForums.com
I'm not sure any of the voices here matter that much.
06-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pely Quote
I am just curious, when I have seen HD Pentax-DA 18-55 f/4-5.6 DC WR RE, what about to use DC drive in Limiteds or other small DA primes.

HD Pentax-DA 18-55 f/4-5.6 DC WR RE
Diam x Length
71 x 41 mm (2.8 x 1.6 in.)
Weight
158 g (5.6 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 39.5 mm (2.5 x 1.58 in.)

Weight
189 g (6.7 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 25 mm (2.5 x 1 in.
Weight
134 g (4.2 oz.)
Only Hood: 15g

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 46.5 mm (2.5 x 1.8 in.)

Weight
215 g (7.6 oz.)

HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
Diam x Length
63 x 26 mm (2.5 x 1 in.)

Weight
130 g (4.6 oz.)

All you need is just slightly bigger barrel and that is almost all you need. Maybe some tweaks of optical formula, but these lenses are greate and I thing that this could be solid base for MILC kamera. And WR would be nice too. Try to find the same line in Sony ecosystem ...

Limiteds are great addition to high performance lenses and the budget one. Now i understand a KP much more.

Ok back to topic. Do you think, this could happend? Some of forum members write about it somewhere, but I am not sure where.

My argument pro is, that here could be just one barrel for all of these lenses, so this could be relatively cost effective.

And about the cons, I am not sure. I see no one. Maybe, that this lenses wouldn't be so fast, but who cares. F2.8 and anything faster is good enough with good optical formula. And who want faster ones, he can buy the * ones or budget line.

So is this possible or not?
I have all four of the limiteds you note in your post. Since they are so small and lightweight the screwdrive is completely unobtrusive on all of them. I actually like the compactness of the DA limiteds just as they are and along with some very compact older primes such as my F 28mm, DA 50mm f1.7 and DFA 100 macro WR form a very compact kit which all of these lenses can use the same 49mm filters. A larger heavier lens such as the DA 16-85 definitely benefits from having an in-lens quiet focusing motor which it has.

06-18-2018, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

No need for the in body motors. The screw drive, especially on the KP is so fast as to be barely noticeable. Since there is almost never any hunting for focus, (with my copies at least,) You hear the gears for less than a second and boom, your image waits for you to press the shutter release. I love my bigger PLM lenses but my Limited primes do not need anything more than what they already have!
06-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
No need for the in body motors. The screw drive, especially on the KP is so fast as to be barely noticeable. Since there is almost never any hunting for focus, (with my copies at least,) You hear the gears for less than a second and boom, your image waits for you to press the shutter release. I love my bigger PLM lenses but my Limited primes do not need anything more than what they already have!
I agree, the focus on most DA Limited lenses are so quick that you hardly notice AF sound in most cases. It is only in cases where you go for a big shift in focus you notice the sound.
It's basically only DA 35 Limited that could benefit alot from a new motor because of the long focus throw, but I believe it is large enough to fit a DC or PLM motor inside.
06-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The 20-40 Limited already has DC.

I like screwdrive lenses, but Pentax won't release another.

06-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The 20-40 Limited already has DC.

I like screwdrive lenses, but Pentax won't release another.
Ya, but it's also a zoom, that was just Pentax thumbing it's nose at the whole limited concept.
06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ya, but it's also a zoom, that was just Pentax thumbing it's nose at the whole limited concept.
FWIW, it's about the size of the FA31 Limited.

06-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

How does it compare to the 31 ltd at 31mm? .. oops, it's not ƒ1.8.

But apart from that?
06-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

But apart from that?
By all reports it is pretty close Norm, but as I can't afford the 31, I will never know. I suspect it is more about skill in composition if there are perceived differences in the two.
06-18-2018, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

But apart from that?
Intriguing you've now reversed your position, Norm, held for years, of the superiority of zooms over primes. You've boriscletoed (TM) people over that stance.

Fascinating!

I often walk around with just the FA31 and FA77 on my K-1, but now an option is the DA20-40 and FA77. I'll be able to go wider ... to 24mm (but not all the way to 20mm on FF), for instance, for the same two lens setup.
06-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Intriguing you've now reversed your position, Norm, held for years, of the superiority of zooms over primes. You've boriscletoed (TM) people over that stance.

Fascinating!

I often walk around with just the FA31 and FA77 on my K-1, but now an option is the DA20-40 and FA77. I'll be able to go wider ... to 24mm (but not all the way to 20mm on FF), for instance, for the same two lens setup.
You didn't answer the question Ian! How does it compare (other than aperture,) at 31mm IQ wise?
06-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Fascinating!

Let's start a thread "What did normhead say?", I'm tired off having people with poor reading comprehension skills telling me what they think I said. You guys can fight it out, I'm done with it.

This whole "you said this ting" can be sorted out with the simple statement.

"What you think you heard is not what i meant to say."

QuoteQuote:
You've boriscletoed (TM) people over that stance.
Reference? I say you're lying.

Last edited by normhead; 06-19-2018 at 05:22 AM.
06-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

But apart from that?
I'd say it'S not meant to be compared to the 31. More likely to be compared to the 21 and 40, where it gains over the 21 and loses over the 40 regarding aperture.

Quality wise, my short experience suggests the 20-40 is close to other DA Limited.

The princesses are another story, however.

Let's start a thread "What did normhead say?", I'm tired off having people with poor reading comprehension skills telling me what they think I said. You guys can fight it out, I'm done with it.

This whole "you said this ting" can be sorted out with the simple statement.

"What you think you heard is not what i meant to say."
Another take on this is that opinions change... Not saying yours did, but it's not a problem if it did.