Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
wide angle and filters

I'm planning to buy the new DA* 16-50mm lens.

I really find a polarizing filter useful, and I'm contemplating a UV filter for protection. (I've heard pretty extensively both sides of the argument on the latter already, thanks. I'd probably take it off in many cases.)

I'm a bit concerned about vignetting at the wide end, though. Obviously no one has the new lens yet, but I'm sure several people here have experience with the 16-45 f4 lens.

B+W has a "slim" filter it says is good down to 17mm. They also have a series of incredibly pricey (like, more than many lenses) "extra wide" filters, although I can't find online how "extra" this means may be (or indeed if it's more than the slim ones). Hoya claims their Pro1 Digital series has a "low profile frame", although I can't see obviously what that means exactly.

I'm more concerned about the polarizing filter, as the prices for good quality protective/UV filters -- especially when this issue is considered -- get into the range where you're clearly better off saving the money towards getting the front element repaired if something unfortunate happens.

There's no really good camera stores I can get to easily to investigate this stuff myself, so I turn to you folks. Thanks!

02-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the 16-50mm features a 1.3x crop factor, the corners won't be used when mounted on an APS-C DSLR. Because of that, I doubt a conventional filter would cause any vignetting due to length. If you really want to feel secure, though, give the Hoya Pro1 D filters a try- they're about as slim as filters get

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Filters

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm planning to buy the new DA* 16-50mm lens.

I really find a polarizing filter useful, and I'm contemplating a UV filter for protection. (I've heard pretty extensively both sides of the argument on the latter already, thanks. I'd probably take it off in many cases.)

I'm a bit concerned about vignetting at the wide end, though. Obviously no one has the new lens yet, but I'm sure several people here have experience with the 16-45 f4 lens.

B+W has a "slim" filter it says is good down to 17mm. They also have a series of incredibly pricey (like, more than many lenses) "extra wide" filters, although I can't find online how "extra" this means may be (or indeed if it's more than the slim ones). Hoya claims their Pro1 Digital series has a "low profile frame", although I can't see obviously what that means exactly.

I'm more concerned about the polarizing filter, as the prices for good quality protective/UV filters -- especially when this issue is considered -- get into the range where you're clearly better off saving the money towards getting the front element repaired if something unfortunate happens.

There's no really good camera stores I can get to easily to investigate this stuff myself, so I turn to you folks. Thanks!
May I suggest that you get a Hoya Pro1 D filter. It is multi coated and does not affect the sharpness of the lens as some lesser filters do. I always use filters to protect the front element from potential scratches and humidity.

Ben
02-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
May I suggest that you get a Hoya Pro1 D filter. It is multi coated and does not affect the sharpness of the lens as some lesser filters do. I always use filters to protect the front element from potential scratches and humidity.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Do you think vignetting would be an issue with them on a K10D at 16mm? I'm concerned that even with the 1.3x crop image circle, the tolerances will be tight at that wide.

02-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hoya

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Do you think vignetting would be an issue with them on a K10D at 16mm? I'm concerned that even with the 1.3x crop image circle, the tolerances will be tight at that wide.
The Hoya filter I use is on my Sigma 10-20 Lens and it does not vignette. It is very thin...
02-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wait whats all this APS-H crop I'm hearing for the next star stuff? I thought they specifically said in the press releases that it was cropped for digital (like implying the current APS 1.5x?
02-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Crop factor

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wait
all this APS-H crop I'm hearing for the next star stuff? I thought they specifically said in the press releases that it was cropped for digital (like implying the current APS 1.5x?
They said optimised for digital. They did not say the crop factor.

02-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In that case, wouldn't it imply a kinda D-FA status? Or "DG" ? (Sigma's term for digital optimization but retaining compatibility with full frame).
02-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi,

I use 12-24/4 with with B+W Slim C-POL MRC and Marumi HG.
B+W gives vigneting at 12-13, marumi even with 14.

first shot was done with Marumi HG next two with B+W pol.
Re: 14mm vs 12-24mm: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

here you will find my tests:
Tests of equipment Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com

hope it will help