Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #1

Pentax M42,K,M,A lens - Confused

Having bought a Pentax Spotmatic and a K1000 I have noticed that on the Spotmatic I can use M42 type lenses and on the K1000 it has a lens marked "SMC Pentax-A 50mm F/2" but have seen others listed as K mounts or as M. As I will be using trhem on a Canon 60D and already have an adapter for the M42 how do I go about choosing an adapter for the lenses marked A,K or M ?

Do they all have different mounting systems?

Which ones are good and which to avoid?

Oh and in the near future I will be getting a Pentax DSLR crop sensor, either a K7, K5ii or K3

Shuggzi

06-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A, K, and M lenses all have the same bayonet or "K" mount. You will only need one adapter. They are all good. Some better than others. More knowledgeable folks than me will probably explain in better detail. In the mean time if you have not found this already check this out. Found at the top of every forum page under "Lenses."

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shuggzi Quote
Having bought a Pentax Spotmatic and a K1000 I have noticed that on the Spotmatic I can use M42 type lenses and on the K1000 it has a lens marked "SMC Pentax-A 50mm F/2" but have seen others listed as K mounts or as M. As I will be using trhem on a Canon 60D and already have an adapter for the M42 how do I go about choosing an adapter for the lenses marked A,K or M ?

Do they all have different mounting systems?

Which ones are good and which to avoid?

Oh and in the near future I will be getting a Pentax DSLR crop sensor, either a K7, K5ii or K3

Shuggzi
Thanks DW58

Have checked that link and lots to drool over, but at least they are cheaper than a lot of new high end lenses but manual is not for everyone, I dont mind manual as it slows you down and makes think about composition etc before clicking the shutter button, the manual lenses I do have are far better to focus than my Canon STM 10-18mm and 50mm.

I am picking up a Helios 44M tomorrow so if weather is good I will go out and see what I can achieve with it

Shuggzi
06-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the Pentax side, the main difference is between m42 and K-mount lenses.

- K, M and A are all K-mount lenses and have the same mount, so they fit the same body camera (like your k1000 or your future dslr).

-M42, without an adapter (like m42 to K-mount) can only be mounted on a m42 camera, like a spotmatic.

The differences between k-mount lenses are the built and additional features, like the "A" (which I think stands for Automatic) allows the lens to communicate with camera body (ie. if you mount your 50mm f2 to a dslr body, you are able to read the aperture on the screen, so the camera can adjust other parameters).

You need an adapter to use m42 on a K-mount camera, but I don't think you can use k-mount lenses (with adapter) on a non-pentax body, like your canon 60d, because of a difference in the distance between the sensor and the lens (I don't know the technical term, but the focal planes are not good and in this way the lens won't focus).

I have tried with a canon 5d and a 50mm Pentax-M and the problem I found was the mirror touching the bajonette, and this didn't even let me put the lens on the camera. Some DIY tutorials shows you how to cut the bajonette or in high-end models (like the FA31mm ltd) you can unscrew the bajonette. But I don't suggest you to do so.

06-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

these charts might be of help

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" Mounts[edit]
Main article: Pentax K mount
M37 (screw mount, branded Takumar, Asahiflex only)
M42 (screw mount, branded Takumar, all other Pre-K Mount 35mm bodies, e.g. the Pentax Spotmatic)
ES M42 Mount (Introduced in 1971. Allows open aperture metering with Super Multi-Coated Takumar lenses with Pentax ES and ESII cameras. 3rd Party ES lenses include Sigma YS, Sigma XQ, Vivitar TX, and Tameraon Adaptall mounts.)
K-mount (bayonet mount, all 35mm SLR and DSLR bodies since introduction of the K series in 1975 as well as the K-01 MILC body)
Pentax 6×7 mount (bayonet mount, some of them branded Takumar, for the medium format Pentax 6×7 and Pentax 67 film SLR bodies)
Pentax 645 mount (bayonet mount for the medium format Pentax 645 series SLR and DSLR bodies)
Pentax 110 mount (bayonet mount for the 110 film Pentax Auto 110 and Pentax Auto 110 super SLR bodies)
Q-mount (bayonet mount for the Pentax Q series MILC bodies) "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_(lens)#Mounts
06-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all

Got a better understanding of the Pentax lens system now

Shugzzi
06-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M42 = screwmount, 1974 and earlier;
SMC K-series = K mount, 1975;
M-series = K mount, small manual lenses with aperture rings;
A-series = K mount, manual-focus, auto-aperture (controlled by camera when aperture ring is set to "A");
F-series = K mount, auto-focus, auto-aperture lenses with aperture rings;
FA-series = K mount, next generation auto lenses with aperture rings for 35mm film cameras (works on digital too);
FA-J series = K mount, cheap auto plastic-mount with no aperture rings;
D FA-series = K mount, 35mm full frame lenses optimized for digital (older ones have aperture rings, newer ones don't);
DA-series = K mount, APS-C digital auto lenses with no aperture rings;

There are a few other series of lenses too, but if you understand the above, you'll understand the other series. Examples include * (star) lenses. The * indicates top-of-the-line premium-quality lenses. There are rare M*, A*, and F* lenses. FA* and DA* lenses aren't rare, and some F* lenses are readily available. All DA* lenses are weathered-sealed. I love my F* and FA* lenses. Then there are the magic FA Limited and DA Limited lens series. The FA Limited lenses are small, incredible, and have aperture rings. The DA Limiteds are even smaller and don't have aperture rings.

I mention aperture rings because you'll probably want them if you're using adapters until you get a Pentax DSLR. All K-mount lenses work on camera bodies since 1975. I prefer aperture rings because I use a lot of film cameras from the late '70s, before camera bodies controlled aperture. All K-mount lenses work on the current crop and full frame DSLRs.

06-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
. . . . All K-mount lenses work on the current crop and full frame DSLRs.
not quite all

" As a Pentax lens designed for digital, the 55-300mm PLM supports in-camera image corrections and alternate program lines (such as MTF).
*This lens uses an electric focus-by-wire system and will not focus (even manually) on cameras older than the Pentax K100D super (2006).
**Because the aperture is controlled electronically, this lens can only stop down when used with compatible cameras. The Pentax K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-3, K-3 II, and K-1 are supported via a camera firmware update; the Pentax K-70, Pentax KP and all 2017 or newer bodies will work out of the box. The aperture diaphragm will always remain wide-open on unsupported bodies.
In an nutshell, this lens fully compatible with recent DSLRs but shouldn't be used on older bodies or film cameras. "

Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 PLM WR RE Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

check the charts I referenced earlier to see how Pentax Lenses work with Pentax camera bodies
06-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Look for an adapter with AF chip so you can have AF assist while manual focussing. Also, some have the inner bayonet out of alignment, so when you mount the lens the markings end on the side.
This one has the markings and bayonet on the right spot:

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This one doesn't:

06-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #11

If you use the K-mount lenses with an adapter on a Canon Full Frame body the aperture stop down lever is likely to hit the mirror. With Canon bodies with crop (APS-C) sensors this should not be a problem. There should be no need to mutilate the K-mount lenses especially if you intend to use them on a Pentax body later.
06-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Look for an adapter with AF chip so you can have AF assist while manual focussing. Also, some have the inner bayonet out of alignment, so when you mount the lens the markings end on the side.
This one has the markings and bayonet on the right spot:

Yep I bought one and guess what? the markings are on the side you live and learn tho but it will do for now until I get a Pentax DSLR in near future

Shuggzi