Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Helios 44-M - Stiff focusing ring

Hi all

Having just received my Helios 44M from eBay I have found the focusing ring to be really stiff but after having a look on YouTube regarding servicing them I watched a video of a guy removing the back lens plate to gain access to the focusing wheel thingy he put a little drop of oil into that area to soften up the old grease then worked the focusing ring until it was smoothly turning, all good, but he never explained what type of oil he used, any of you guys, and gals serviced any Helios lenses? just need to know what type of oil to use.

Cheers

Shuggzi

06-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
my H44 is much stiffer than M50
06-20-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #3

I'm not sure what its called abroad, but I'd use a thin penetrating oil, like the oil used to service sewing machines. Hence naaimachine olie in Dutch.
06-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I'm not sure what its called abroad, but I'd use a thin penetrating oil, like the oil used to service sewing machines. Hence naaimachine olie in Dutch.
Yeah have been reading about what oil to use and it seems that sewing machine or watch repairers oil is best.

---------- Post added 06-20-18 at 10:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
my H44 is much stiffer than M50
The focusing is so stiff on my 44M that it can unscrew the lens, now thats stiff

06-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to recall cleaning it first with ronco lighter fluid, then applying a light grease. check threads here, I know there are old links. Mine came out perfectly after that.
good luck
06-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I removed the old grease and applied for lack of alternatives a thin film of petroleum jelly at my Helios 44 lens last year. Till now my lens works flawlessly but depending where you live you might get problems in the summer because the dripping point is somewhere around 40 to 60 C (so don't leave your lens in a closed car in direct sunlight).
06-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

My 44M is also so stiff focusing that it unscrews from the mount adaptor. I searched for 44M in the forums here, and there's a link to how to do it in the first post at the link, which looks like it would help:
Help with repairing my Russian lenses - PentaxForums.com
06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well I had a go at dismantling and took apart the wrong side doh, so two small ball bearings fell out and now on the floor somewhere so got clickless aperture doh, but took the other side apart and applied a little grease and just kept working focusing ring, nice and smooth now.

Least if i get another one with a stiff focusing ring I will know what end to take apart first lol

You live and learn...maybe

Shuggzi

06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Stiff ok... but must be smooth as well. I mean... has to turn well, it can start slow but a little force makes it pick up speed.

My 44-K4 can't be turned with one finger like the M 50/1.7, it requires 2 fingers - but only to get a firmer grip, not much more effort is needed.
10-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuggzi Quote
Well I had a go at dismantling and took apart the wrong side doh, so two small ball bearings fell out and now on the floor somewhere so got clickless aperture doh, but took the other side apart and applied a little grease and just kept working focusing ring, nice and smooth now.

Least if i get another one with a stiff focusing ring I will know what end to take apart first lol

You live and learn...maybe

Shuggzi
only one way completely rebuild it as i did.And then it works like a charm.By the way do not use oils ,as it will get into your camera and on your sensor.
10-22-2018, 12:28 AM   #11

If taking the "quick route" and simply applying a drop or two of oil, do use something like a small screwdriver or cocktail stick with literally one drop of oil on the end. Don't risk accidents by inserting the spout from an oil can directly into your lens
10-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

My Helios also has a very stiff focusing ring, as does a recently acquired Miranda 50mm. I need to open them both up and fix them.

Silicone grease is the right lubricant for the job, I understand.

10-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My Helios also has a very stiff focusing ring, as does a recently acquired Miranda 50mm. I need to open them both up and fix them.

It's unlikely silicon grease would have been used originally, especially on the Helios. Silicon grease is more suitable for plastic and rubber than metal, in my experience.
My preferred "proper" grease would be a high melting-point grease such as Castrol LM ... mostly 'cos I've got a tin of it and it's always been perfectly adequate. The last thing you want is your newly-cleaned lens internally covered in grease 'cos it was sat in the sun!
As for quantities, use as little as you think you can get away with, then wipe off half of that ... you really need very little modern grease in a low-load application like a lens helix.
Good luck
10-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If taking the "quick route" and simply applying a drop or two of oil, do use something like a small screwdriver or cocktail stick with literally one drop of oil on the end. Don't risk accidents by inserting the spout from an oil can directly into your lens
Usually not a good idea due to risk of migration onto the aperture and optics. The Helios 44M and others in the series are fairly easy to disassemble and relube as long as precautions are taken to make index marks for reassembly.

These step-wise instructions are essentially the same as the video, though I suggest not removing the outer aperture ring unless one wishes to have the pleasure of reinserting the click-stop BBs.

http://web.archive.org/web/20100713213159/http://psychoticstudios.net/blog/archives/140

I use something called Helimax-XP. It is made specifically for optical and instrument helicoids and is sold by a company called MicroLubrol. It is available on Amazon and eBay in two sizes. Helicoid grease is not cheap, but a little goes a very long way. This article is also helpful:

https://richardhaw.com/2015/12/30/best-practices-part-2/

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-22-2018 at 11:05 AM.
10-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i get helical grease from japan hobby tools

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Usually not a good idea due to risk of migration onto the aperture and optics. The Helios 44M and others in the series are fairly easy to disassemble and relube as long as precautions are taken to make index marks for reassembly. It is not he end of the world as infinity is adjustable after the rebuild within reason.

Helios 44m focus lubrication tutorial - YouTube

These step-wise instructions are essentially the same as the video, though I suggest not removing the outer aperture ring unless one wishes to have the pleasure of reinserting the click-stop BBs.

Psychotic Studios Blog Archive Adjusting and Cleaning Focus on Helios 44M

I use something called Helimax-XP. It is made specifically for optical and instrument helicoids and is sold by a company called MicroLubrol. It is available on Amazon and eBay in two sizes. Helicoid grease is not cheap, but a little goes a very long way. This article is also helpful:

Fundamentals: Grease and Lubrication (2/3) | Richard Haw's Classic Nikon Repair and Review

Steve
There are many different configuration of the Helio 58mm so one must have some experience in rebuilding Lens such as counting the revolutions of each helical and marking of the disconnect point of each one.

---------- Post added 10-22-18 at 07:02 PM ----------

How many here have rebuilt Lens??

Last edited by niceshot; 10-22-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: more stuff