Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meyer-Optik 35mm 4.5

Has anyone ever tried out this lens? Can't find it in the review database and couldn't find any posts for that specific lens. Might give it a try on the K-1, but curious if others have played with it and what they thought of it.

06-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Has anyone ever tried out this lens? Can't find it in the review database and couldn't find any posts for that specific lens. Might give it a try on the K-1, but curious if others have played with it and what they thought of it.
I'm curious, too, but I doubt anyone will cash out that much for any of these lenses. I've never heard of someone owning a copy. I'd much rather have the new 50 that's coming out.

Gesendet von meinem Mi A1 mit Tapatalk
06-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are a few reviews:

• 75/1.9
https://www.pentaxians.de./40456504nx51499/objektive-f27/meyer-optik-goerlit...os-t25678.html
The guy sent it back.

• 100/2.8
http://www.huntke.de/trioplan/
This guy dismissed it, too.

06-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I'm curious, too, but I doubt anyone will cash out that much for any of these lenses. I've never heard of someone owning a copy. I'd much rather have the new 50 that's coming out.

I think you're wrong... with all the hoopla going on about the "new" Meyer-Optik re-creating vintage lenses because bubble bokeh or some other strange effect, and selling as if they were sollid gold, the price of real vintage Meyer lenses have skyrocketed.
On the Italian eBay this one has lots of buy-it-now above 100€, which is bonkers.

I'm not saying that they are good, just that they are currently overpriced because of a (temporary, I hope) craze.

06-21-2018, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #5

Meyer-Optik lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I think you're wrong... with all the hoopla going on about the "new" Meyer-Optik re-creating vintage lenses because bubble bokeh or some other strange effect, and selling as if they were sollid gold, the price of real vintage Meyer lenses have skyrocketed.
On the Italian eBay this one has lots of buy-it-now above 100€, which is bonkers.

I'm not saying that they are good, just that they are currently overpriced because of a (temporary, I hope) craze.
I had very bad experiences with Meyer-Optik lenses (manual focus) long, long time ago (1960-1970 on Praktica and Exacta cameras). They were all very soft and unsharp when full open. I would´t buy any of these cheap or expensive at all.
06-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's for the 1%.

06-21-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adam49 Quote
I had very bad experiences with Meyer-Optik lenses (manual focus) long, long time ago (1960-1970 on Praktica and Exacta cameras). They were all very soft and unsharp when full open. I would´t buy any of these cheap or expensive at all.
They're not sought after in spite of their optical defects, they are sought after because of their optical def... hem... "character"
06-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adam49 Quote
This is actually where I got the lens from. An old Praktica camera. I'll mount it on my K-1 for fun, just to see how good or bad it really is. Can't hurt to try. I was looking on E-bay Canada and was surprised they were selling upwards of $100, especially for a F4.5 lens. Might be a good time to sell it. lol

06-21-2018, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the lens. A lenses characteristics (strengths/weaknesses) if known, should be used to create the effect you desire.
I still own a Meyer-Optik Domiplan I use occasionally and also a Steinheil Cassarit (which had a horrible reputation during the film days) both used for UV.
Soft and sharp are two different characteristics and shouldn't be judged together. Here are a couple of photos with the Steinheil and Domiplan. The Geraniums were with the Domiplan under a dedicated 365nm UV torch. The cat is at infinity focus with the Steinheil at UV340nm.
There are only a couple of Pentax lenses (early M42 Taks) that can achieve the infinity focus in pure UV, rare and well beyond my price range.
If you think the lens will give you the result you want, give it a try. Used Meyer-Optik's are still available at a decent price (but going up considerably), though I would consider other used brands before I paid the high price of the new line.
Attached Images

Last edited by pcrichmond; 06-21-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: misspell
06-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #10

I picked up this lens for M42 a few weeks ago on a local fleamarket. But I have been so busy, no chance to try it out yet. It's meant to have an interesting rendering though, and it's relatively rare, hence the price.
06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's funny that in these times of pixel-peeping and obsession with sharpness, so many decent lenses get bashed for not being optically perfect, and then there are these which are given a silly mythical status. I thought the Lensbaby's were overpriced, but man, then there are these "new" MOG. They claim German craftsmanship and Schott glass and whatnot, but: Why not just straight up buy a Zeiss?