Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Late to the discussion, but I'd certainly keep the 43 which would have been my first recommendation. If you can afford the 31 it's a good choice too but I never warmed up to it. The K28 is a valid alternative that you already have. Maybe toss in a 28-105 and call it a day.
No 31 at this point.. my GAS burnt my pocket already

06-29-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mourya Quote
Hello,

I am planning for a trek in Kashmir region during august. It will be full of lakes, mountains and greenlands. Planning to acquire K1 before that. Now, my question is what will be a good compact landscape lens that i should carry. I currently have K 28 3.5, DA 12-24, FA 43, and few m42 wides. D FA 15-30 and 24-70 will be too heavy to carry with K1 as i will be trekking for 7 days.

Thanks,
Mourya
The description of the territory you will be shooting, "lakes, mountains, and greenlands" sounds much like the Rocky Mountains where I live and do much of my photography. When the word "landscape" is used the automatic first thought for many is wide or ultra wide angle. However, in this setting I often have the need for much longer reach. The longest of the lenses you have is apparently the 43 and I know I would almost immediately be wishing for a longer lens. Because of your weight considerations I can't advise you on exactly which longer lens(es) to take but I would want at least the 28-105, and one other longer lens if at all possible. I hope this is of some help.
06-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
The description of the territory you will be shooting, "lakes, mountains, and greenlands" sounds much like the Rocky Mountains where I live and do much of my photography. When the word "landscape" is used the automatic first thought for many is wide or ultra wide angle. However, in this setting I often have the need for much longer reach. The longest of the lenses you have is apparently the 43 and I know I would almost immediately be wishing for a longer lens. Because of your weight considerations I can't advise you on exactly which longer lens(es) to take but I would want at least the 28-105, and one other longer lens if at all possible. I hope this is of some help.
Interesting.. many of the members also suggested carrying the 100 mm range. Am also under the opinion carrying a wide lens will be suffice.
07-02-2018, 03:37 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting.. many of the members also suggested carrying the 100 mm range. Am also under the opinion carrying a wide lens will be suffice.
Very limiting the kind of landscapes that are only wide angle.

If there's a distinctive feature in the scene like a building or tree it can make for a better shot to isolate it.

08-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #35

I use this setup:
Standard:Pentax 12-24+Pentax M 50 1.7+Tokina 135 2.8
Light+bad weather condition: K-5, Pentax 12-24+55-300 WR

12-24 is 80% assembled. My set lens :-)
08-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #36

I'd stick with the 43 !
Or get a nice versatile 16-85 (APS-C) / 28-105 (FF).
08-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After two hiking trips in hilly country (Northern Norway) with the K-1 and lots more with the K-3 I'd advise to take a very limited amount of lenses with you. Keeping the weight of your backpack under control is essential for you to enjoy your trip. I get by with two lenses; a wide lens and a telelens. Especially in the mountains my DA*300mm is wonderful to compress the landscape and really showcase the height differences. My wide option is the Samyang 24mm F1.4. It is not a small lens and manual but autofocus is overrated for landscape work anyway. And I bring a light tripod but I travel alone and have the luxery to do everything at my own pace. If you buy a new lens before the trip be sure to practise with it beforehand so you have it dialed in!

09-05-2018, 02:04 AM   #38

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all your wonderful suggestions guys. I am back from the trip.. Here are my thoughts

1) Carried K1 + K28 + FA 43 + M 85

2) K1 was heavy and i struggled a lot (like many suggested). But, the pictures were nice, especially it helped in low light scenes.

3) K28 wasnt wide enough, so i took multiple shots (pano). But, its edge to edge sharpness was very nice. Its light and compact, which was a huge plus

4) FA 43 - hardly used it, next time will skip it. When you are trekking, changing lens is a pain.

5) M85 - used this to take portraits of fellow trekkers and few landscape shots. Mainly used it at the camp sites. Now i get why you need a tele for landscapes as well.

Overall, it was a good learning curve. Power and space were constraints, so i had to be careful about what i intend to shoot. Also, framing while you are on the move, is tricky too
09-05-2018, 04:18 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks a lot for all your wonderful suggestions guys. I am back from the trip.. Here are my thoughts

1) Carried K1 + K28 + FA 43 + M 85

2) K1 was heavy and i struggled a lot (like many suggested). But, the pictures were nice, especially it helped in low light scenes.

3) K28 wasnt wide enough, so i took multiple shots (pano). But, its edge to edge sharpness was very nice. Its light and compact, which was a huge plus

4) FA 43 - hardly used it, next time will skip it. When you are trekking, changing lens is a pain.

5) M85 - used this to take portraits of fellow trekkers and few landscape shots. Mainly used it at the camp sites. Now i get why you need a tele for landscapes as well.

Overall, it was a good learning curve. Power and space were constraints, so i had to be careful about what i intend to shoot. Also, framing while you are on the move, is tricky too
If you were leaving again in a few weeks what changes would you make other than leaving the 43 behind?
09-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you were leaving again in a few weeks what changes would you make other than leaving the 43 behind?
Interesting question I possibly cant answer it with honesty.. practically, i would want to carry a GR. But, K1 is irresistible. I will carry 2 lenses something in between 15mm - 20mm and 70mm - 135mm. Samyang is a good option but its heavy i guess.. probably K20 will do.
09-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting question I possibly cant answer it with honesty.. practically, i would want to carry a GR. But, K1 is irresistible. I will carry 2 lenses something in between 15mm - 20mm and 70mm - 135mm. Samyang is a good option but its heavy i guess.. probably K20 will do.
Options:

1) Look also to M42. There is a Carl Zeiss 20mm f/4 in m42 that might fit your needs.
2) There is also a Nikon 20mm f/4 if you are willing to live with a lens that is partially attached or willing to drill the Nikon mount to allow the Pentax lock pin to engage it. If going Nikon this way it is easier to stick to NON-AIS lenses to avoid complications and more modifications needed to mount the lens.
3) The DA 20-40 is nice light lens that people are getting good results from 24-40 out of on the K-1. Here's a thread about it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/322393-using-da20-40-limited-k1.html That miay offer a little more flexible package than a single 20mm and won't weigh a lot. On top of this it is autofocus for those quick shots and if you pop to crop mode - the 40mm is probably long enough for an intimate portrait. Or in full frame a nice environmental one.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-05-2018 at 08:01 AM.
09-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Options:

1) Look also to M42. There is a Carl Zeiss 20mm f/4 in m42 that might fit your needs.
2) There is also a Nikon 20mm f/4 if you are willing to live with a lens that is partially attached or willing to drill the Nikon mount to allow the Pentax lock pin to engage it. If going Nikon this way it is easier to stick to NON-AIS lenses to avoid complications and more modifications needed to mount the lens.
3) The DA 20-40 is nice light lens that people are getting good results from 24-40 out of on the K-1. Here's a thread about it: Using the DA20-40 limited on K1 - PentaxForums.com That miay offer a little more flexible package than a single 20mm and won't weigh a lot. On top of this it is autofocus for those quick shots and if you pop to crop mode - the 40mm is probably long enough for an intimate portrait. Or in full frame a nice environmental one.
I have considered Zeiss 20mm f4. But, am not sure how good it is.. wanted to try it if its available with someone. I have a 12-24, which can also be used on K1 with some cropping. Nikon is out of question Another option people suggested here is 20-35, which is rare and expensive.. if i find a good deal, will grab that.
09-11-2018, 09:22 PM - 3 Likes   #43

Original Poster
Here are few pictures from the trip. Taken with K28

09-11-2018, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

Hello,

I am planning for a trek in Kashmir region during august. It will be full of lakes, mountains and greenlands. Planning to acquire K1 before that. Now, my question is what will be a good compact landscape lens that i should carry. I currently have K 28 3.5, DA 12-24, FA 43, and few m42 wides. D FA 15-30 and 24-70 will be too heavy to carry with K1 as i will be trekking for 7 days.

Thanks,
Mourya
DFA28-105 will be a good all rounder.

Otherwise, I'd think Samyang 14/2.8, K28/3.5, A50/1.7, any of the 135mm from Pentax (the M is the smallest one)
If you want to carry less, then K28/3.5, A50/1.7 and either the Samyang 14 or the 135mm.
Pano and stitch will help if the widest is 28mm.
09-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are few pictures from the trip. Taken with K28
What else did you take with you? Which body?