Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens recommendation for landscape photography

Hello,

I am planning for a trek in Kashmir region during august. It will be full of lakes, mountains and greenlands. Planning to acquire K1 before that. Now, my question is what will be a good compact landscape lens that i should carry. I currently have K 28 3.5, DA 12-24, FA 43, and few m42 wides. D FA 15-30 and 24-70 will be too heavy to carry with K1 as i will be trekking for 7 days.

Thanks,
Mourya

06-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Mourya,

Another forum member did a lot of trekking with a setup of K-1, DA12-24 (works from about 18mm onwards), DFA 28-105 and a 50mm macro.

Obviously you and he would have different shooting styles, but he apparently did lots of landscapes and was very careful about what to pack, walking day after day.
06-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hi Mourya,

Another forum member did a lot of trekking with a setup of K-1, DA12-24 (works from about 18mm onwards), DFA 28-105 and a 50mm macro.

Obviously you and he would have different shooting styles, but he apparently did lots of landscapes and was very careful about what to pack, walking day after day.
Thanks clackers. I forgot to mention that am a beginner in trekking.. so am bit hesitant about the weight and stuff that i need to carry.. once you are in mountains, you cant offload the luggage. Will be great if you can share his gallery.. would love to see how 12-24 fares
06-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The 28-105 is relatively light and compact. Good optical performance. Weatherproof, which is something you can't achieve with any Pentax wide angle prime.

I think your current 12-24 covers the K-1 full frame for part of its zoom range. Maybe use that if you want wider than 28mm.

Reconsider whether the K-1 body will be too heavy for your trip. I am not saying that it is, I just don't know how much other stuff you'll need to pack on your trip.

06-21-2018, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #5

I'd recommend the DFA 28-105mm, its an excellent performer, light and has WR. Use your 12-24, which is usable from 20mm from PF member's reports, for wider.
06-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mourya Quote
Thanks clackers. I forgot to mention that am a beginner in trekking.. so am bit hesitant about the weight and stuff that i need to carry.. once you are in mountains, you cant offload the luggage. Will be great if you can share his gallery.. would love to see how 12-24 fares
I think his handle is 'pkaye' if you want to do some detective work/cyber stalking.

If you're a beginner, shouldn't your effort go into mastering trekking rather the photography? Bring your current camera and just the 12-24 and FA43!

If the new toy is so enticing you're willing to put up with the muscle soreness, perhaps just a Samyang 14mm, your K28 and the FA43 with the K-1 would be a smallish combo.
06-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The 28-105 is relatively light and compact. Good optical performance. Weatherproof, which is something you can't achieve with any Pentax wide angle prime.

I think your current 12-24 covers the K-1 full frame for part of its zoom range. Maybe use that if you want wider than 28mm.

Reconsider whether the K-1 body will be too heavy for your trip. I am not saying that it is, I just don't know how much other stuff you'll need to pack on your trip.
Yes.. I have to figure out whether carrying K1 is a good choice.. but i will definitely try to carry it. 28-105 is good in terms of WR.. but something below 28 will be ideal i guess. Thanks for the suggestion, i was under the impression that 28-105 is heavy.

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwipixter Quote
I'd recommend the DFA 28-105mm, its an excellent performer, light and has WR. Use your 12-24, which is usable from 20mm from PF member's reports, for wider.
Sure. I will take some test shots with K1 and make a decision with 12-24.

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think his handle is 'pkaye' if you want to do some detective work/cyber stalking.

If you're a beginner, shouldn't your effort go into mastering trekking rather the photography? Bring your current camera and just the 12-24 and FA43!

If the new toy is so enticing you're willing to put up with the muscle soreness, perhaps just a Samyang 14mm, your K28 and the FA43 with the K-1 would be a smallish combo.
I couldnt stalk him .. he he

I really want to take some nice pictures, though its my first trek but yea safety first.. wouldnt force myself with excess luggage.

Samyang is a good option too.. for night skies.. thanks for the suggestion.

06-21-2018, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I presume you’re thinking of going wider when you say “for landscape.”

The obvious choices are the excellent DA15 for APS-C, and the nice FA*24 or FA20 for the K-1.

I’ve had all of them (and still have the latter two), although I haven’t tried a K-1 yet. I’d recommend any of them, and they’re sufficiently compact.

But I think you also need a 100mm+ lens. I can think of 4 great candidates off the top of my head:

- M or A100/2.8
- Cosina 100/3.5 Macro (light and affordable; available under many brands including Pentax)
- DFA 100/2.8 WR Macro
- F or FA135/2.8

I still own all 4 of these, which means I really like them

If you combine a DA15 or FA20 with your excellent K28/3.5 and FA43, plus a 100mm+ lens you’ll have a versatile yet lightweight kit.

Although the above is my preferred approach, the DFA 28-105 is a viable option. It’s one of the few “slow” lenses I would want. But I think getting a both a wider and a longer lens is more important than investing in a K-1 at this point.

EDIT: Don’t overlook the F17-28 (K-1) or DA10-17 Fisheye zooms (they could serve as your only UWA). At the “long” end they have minimal distortion, plus natural landscapes easily hide fisheye distortion since no one knows the original proportions of natural objects anyway. And if you break the normal rules and put the horizon smack in the middle of the frame you can even get away with using the full, wide fisheye end. I have them, and I actually allowed myself to sell the wonderful DA15 because I kept the DA10-17.

Last edited by DSims; 06-22-2018 at 12:03 AM.
06-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by mourya Quote
Hello,

I am planning for a trek in Kashmir region during august. It will be full of lakes, mountains and greenlands. Planning to acquire K1 before that. Now, my question is what will be a good compact landscape lens that i should carry. I currently have K 28 3.5, DA 12-24, FA 43, and few m42 wides. D FA 15-30 and 24-70 will be too heavy to carry with K1 as i will be trekking for 7 days.

Thanks,
Mourya
Also trekking the Kashmir Great Lakes this August.

Still mulling over my options but so far I have been planning to take my K1 with 28-105. I have a DA 15 that will be helpful to some extent. Alternatives are DA 12-24 (in the 18-24 range I think) or the Samyang/Rokinons. An alternative and much lighter package would be my K5 + DA 15 + 18-250.

Have a good trip!

Arvind
06-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I presume you’re thinking of going wider when you say “for landscape.”

The obvious choices are the excellent DA15 for APS-C, and the nice FA*24 or FA20 for the K-1.

I’ve had all of them (and still have the latter two), although I haven’t tried a K-1 yet. I’d recommend any of them, and they’re sufficiently compact.

But I think you also need a 100mm+ lens. I can think of 4 great candidates off the top of my head:

- M or A100/2.8
- Cosina 100/3.5 Macro (light and affordable; available under many brands including Pentax)
- DFA 100/2.8 WR Macro
- F or FA135/2.8

I still own all 4 of these, which means I really like them

If you combine a DA15 or FA20 with your excellent K28/3.5 and FA43, plus a 100mm+ lens you’ll have a versatile yet lightweight kit.

Although the above is my preferred approach, the DFA 28-105 is a viable option. It’s one of the few “slow” lenses I would want. But I think getting a both a wider and a longer lens is more important than investing in a K-1 at this point.

EDIT: Don’t overlook the F17-28 (K-1) or DA10-17 Fisheye zooms (they could serve as your only UWA). At the “long” end they have minimal distortion, plus natural landscapes easily hide fisheye distortion since no one knows the original proportions of natural objects anyway. And if you break the normal rules and put the horizon smack in the middle of the frame you can even get away with using the full, wide fisheye end. I have them, and I actually allowed myself to sell the wonderful DA15 because I kept the DA10-17.
Thanks a lot.. you gave me some home work, let me go through your suggestions. I have 105 f2.8 tak.. but carrying the adapter will be painful.
06-22-2018, 01:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you want to cut down on weight, try FA 20-35. Second option is do handheld panorama using 28mm lens. You can practice a bit in advance.
06-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
Also trekking the Kashmir Great Lakes this August.

Still mulling over my options but so far I have been planning to take my K1 with 28-105. I have a DA 15 that will be helpful to some extent. Alternatives are DA 12-24 (in the 18-24 range I think) or the Samyang/Rokinons. An alternative and much lighter package would be my K5 + DA 15 + 18-250.

Have a good trip!

Arvind
Thats great to hear initially planned for KGL, but now going to tarsar marsar trek as its comparatively easier. Good to know another Pentaxian from Hyderabad

---------- Post added 06-22-18 at 02:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
If you want to cut down on weight, try FA 20-35. Second option is do handheld panorama using 28mm lens. You can practice a bit in advance.
Sure.. another thing is the availability of these lenses in india.
06-22-2018, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own a K-1 nor any of the lenses you mentioned so I won't be a great help there, but I do a lot of hiking/mountaineering in the alps and what I have learned is: don't bring too many lenses with you, 1 or 2 in the backpack aditionally to your walkaround lens will usually be more than enough.
Depending on the group you are with, you probably can't stop everytime you see something interessting to swap to the perfect lens and you probably don't want to take off your backpack that often anyway (asuming you don't have some kind of system where you can reach your lenses without doing so).
I usually have my K-3 with my F 35-70mm lens (my DA-L 18-55mm WR in bad weather) in a small camera bag attached to my backpack (in a way I can reach the camera without taking off the backpack) and my Cosina MC Cosinon-T 135/3.5 lens and sometimes my Samyang 8mm fisheye in the depth of my backpack.
As others have mentioned can a fisheye be usefull for landscapes too, if there are no man made objects and you keep your horizon in the middle.
My F 35-70mm lens is a normal to short-tele lens on my K-3 but if the foreground isn't too busy you get good results when stitching panos too, so you probably could get by with your K 28mm lens beeing your widest lens.
06-22-2018, 05:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I don’t own the K-1 but I recently purchased a Tamron 24-135 FF that I have used on K-3 II.

I purchased it as I am hoping to purchase a K-1 before the end of the year. I was very happy with the quality of the photos that were taken with it. It is also wider and longer than the Pentax 28-105. The only minus is lack of WR.
06-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

For trekking I’d stick with an APS-C camera, 12-24, FA43 and maybe add the 16-85