Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
My God! Who is that woman?
I thought it was HelenJo.

06-27-2018, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Perhaps multiple cameras will do the trick?
...this must have been set up at a photographer's gathering for fun and/or mockery... I refuse to think someone would do that with a straight face...
06-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...this must have been set up at a photographer's gathering for fun and/or mockery... I refuse to think someone would do that with a straight face...
Obviously it was a spoof . . . . . . . . . . but Canon.
06-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Obviously it was a spoof . . . . . . . . . . but Canon.
She also has Nikons.

06-27-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #65
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HelenJo Quote
Rony !!! May I ask just what in the world is all this Lady talk ? "New" Ladies ? "Street" Lady ? ? ? And just who is "Good " Lady ?
Im Very concerned about YOU !
Oh dear, this may well have something to do with me...

My signature here, may explain it.
06-27-2018, 02:48 PM - 3 Likes   #66
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's all Kerrowdown's fault.
I may resemble that person...
06-27-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #67
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Not Real Ladies !
They're pretty real to me.

06-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #68
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
the only analogy missing appears to be 'lady of the night' ......... (A50mm 1.2)
Oh she's there... that'll be my "Special Lady” (Pentax-A 50mm F1.2).
06-27-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #69
Forum Member

I thought it was HelenJo.
Your so funny !...Haha. Cant be "me" as all my cameras say Pentax and take film ! That is short of my 3 KP's...haha.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 06:56 PM ----------

It's all Kerrowdown's fault.
No , its really my fault. Ive been so stressed the last couple months I cant think straight. I have such an inquiring mind at times Haha.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 06:58 PM ----------

Oh No ! HelenJo…...go read Kerrowdowns profile at the bottom of posts in his signature line. They are names for "Lenses" ! Not Real Ladies !

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 16:59 ----------

Actually.....its my fault.

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 17:02 ----------

Is this a sincere apology ? Sure doesn't look like one......
I feel such a relief Rony I feel so foolish letting my mind get in the gutter.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 07:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Oh dear, this may well have something to do with me...

My signature here, may explain it.
See what you instigated naming your "Ladies" Haha ! Seeing Rony's post just about gave me a Heart attack !

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 07:10 PM ----------

I Know.....lol.

---------- Post added 06-23-18 at 09:10 ----------

I know what You mean and have the SMC-K well covered in Primes.
I never used a Limited until 2 months ago.....started realizing I was missing alot !
Then I used a DFA 28-105 on a trip last year and actually had fun !

Please don't Laugh too hard....about 2.5 years ago I took my K-3II and my Prime kit of 24mm , 28mm , 35mm , 55mm , and 135mm on a Cruise !
Lets just say I DIDNT do very well and ended up real frustrated in the end.
My landscapes are great , but I virtually have no other images from the trip.
How I wish I had even a F28-80 on that one !
Rony , as we discussed its about time ! Im so pleased that you are getting all the lens mess straightened out.
Your next trip will be much nicer even with the DF-A 28-105 or the DA 20-40 limited alone.
I was a hard sell also on the modern Zooms also , but once I went there I never looked back as you now know.

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 07:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
They're pretty real to me.
Your Funny ! I have names for a few of mine also after my extended trip. However I cant post them here or I would be "Banned" for life. Haha !
You "Men" Haha. If you only knew what truly goes on in a old Lady's mind you would not sleep at night.

Last edited by HelenJo; 06-27-2018 at 07:19 PM.
04-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #70
Pentaxian

..... recently I began using FA and DFA lenses and wonder what Decade (or century) Ive been hiding in for the last twenty years or so ?
Have I just been kidding myself over vintage Legacy Glass being Soooo Good...….for way too long ?
Does shooting Only Legacy glass somehow make me a more traditional Photographer ?
How badly have I limited myself by using only Legacy Glass ?
Does being a Legacy Prime Purist benefit me in ANY way ?
Somehow, I've just come upon this thread, and many of your thoughts have echoed in my mind now and then, although my Pentax journey has been shorter than yours.

I would like to work thru the thread and address points in your posts as they come, but the quote above makes me wonder what it is you want from photography? What are you trying to photograph, or maybe even more fundamental, why are you taking photographs? Everyone has their reasons... documentation of family or events, hobbyist, profession, specializations in specific genre. Are you shooting in order to perceive yourself, or be perceived as a "traditional photographer," and is that ultimately what's important? I don't mean to be/sound flippant, but we're all friends here and I'm curious. I have my reasons that I guarantee you are probably pretty stupid in the minds of many, but they are important to me for some reason (in case that makes you feel any better).

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2019 at 10:26 AM ----------

...Does anyone really enjoy swapping out Primes continually ? Im getting Tired of it !
Im the one always saying....."Hold On"....."Wait"....."give me a second to change lenses"...… "now Don't Move"...…..its UGLY !
One solution is to get a second (or third) body. Another solution is to dedicate yourself to one focal length and "make it work." I feel that's an important way that a photographer can grow.
And you are not the only one saying "Hang on a sec..." I do this all the time when taking portraits. So I don't take many portraits! I try to shoot candids if I shoot people at all. I do hate it that when the wife and I are out/about, and I spot a photo I want to take, she has the body language of "Oh no not again. Please hurry the hell up!" even though she swears that's not what she's saying on the inside.

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2019 at 10:37 AM ----------

Somehow I keep thinking that what I started out trying to "BE".... and had idealized myself as being a Manual Mode Purist.....has in reality been mixed in with a healthy dosage of Vintage Glass LBA , and vintage Prime Lens buying OCD. Ultimately......I have limited myself and not grown at all !

I resisted "change" for so long.....and I don't know why ?
15 years behind the rest of you on digital bodies ?
10 years behind on PP and photoshop ?
5 years refusal to use modern coatings and lenses ?
This hasn't helped at all , and has really hindered me...…..until now !
So, now what do you want to "BE?" Have you stayed with vintage bodies and processing techniques too, or just lenses, because you're talking about lenses. If you're really 15 years behind on bodies and PP technique, then maybe that's the real bottleneck?

Adam..... was the one that did a Review of the DFA 28-105 lens and got me started on this "Change" Im going through.
And a simple purchase on E-Bay of a DA 20-40 limited 2 days later did the rest , all this was what got me to actually think about lens choices !
What do you feel you gained with the new lenses?

Its very Painful in one way freeing myself from LBA , and Vintage Glass Prime addiction...….but in another way its quite "liberating" and I wonder why I didn't do this at least a decade ago ? Has anyone else had to go through the growing pains like this at an older age ? The "Pain" of selling a SMC-K 50mm f1.2 and a SMC-A 50mm f1.2 lens was the absolute hardest to handle.....However I think it was worth it...….I DONT Need either (never did). The rest is easy from here on out.
I hear ya on the LBA addiction. It was actually quite fun trying to collect everything I wanted (but, please note, did not need.. I don't need any of it). Has this new era eliminated the decisional paralysis and whatever blockades you were experiencing in the old way? Did you get a new camera too, and upgrade to a modern PP technique as you alluded to earlier?
04-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My principal hobby is using K manual lenses, formerly mostly on KX, MX and LX, now also on K-1. I do that because that’s what I want to do.

I also have the FA Limiteds because they are, and some modern lenses because they are, but I shoot manual because I want to.
Adding, with more experience, to my previous Reply - I’m also rationalizing my gear. Sometimes I shoot intentionally and other times I shoot casually. I always shoot for the pleasure of using cameras and lenses, just with situational objectives.

I have mostly dedicated my K-1 to my manual lenses because I think manual photography is fun and a challenge. I plan to keep film cameras - (KX, K2, MIJ K1000, K2DMD, MX, LX) and (AP, K, SV, SP-F and ESll). I kept the DFA24-70/2.8 and DFA28-105 for those rare times when I want FF and the convenience of a AF zoom lens and sold the big zooms. but I kept the DFA*50/1.4. I use these when I’m really trying to create printable images.

My more casual camera is the KP. I bought used copies of the DA20-40, DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 with the money from the big zooms and swapped the SMC DA Limiteds for HD DA Limiteds. I use my low-serial FA Limiteds with both cameras, accepting that having the FA Limiteds and DA Limiteds is really lens hoarding.

I have many unused primes yet to sell, and a lot of film cameras. Collecting and trying them was fun, but I don’t use them and they’re not special lenses or cameras. My choice is to enjoy my real hobby, which is using a K-1 with manual lenses as if it is a film camera, while simultaneously accepting that when I’m with people they don’t want to wait around for me to change lenses or use a tripod. The KP - especially with the DA Limiteds - produces fabulous images and is quite versatile with the DA zooms.

II guess that is eating my cake too.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-19-2019 at 09:22 AM.
04-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Currently I split my time between Vintage Village and Zoomer City with the K-1 using a growing collection of vintage lenses for slow photography and a sufficient assortment of AF zooms for faster photography.
I love this sentence! As a resident of Vintage Village, I can certainly appreciate the benefits of living in Zoomer City, even though it's not the life I choose at this time.

---------- Post added 19th Apr 2019 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...I had it silvered by dcshooter which hides the cosmetic flaws and makes it a special version of a special lens....
Do you (or anyone) know if anyone has stepped up to fill this niche? I have only one silvered lens and I'd like to get a few more done...
04-19-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Do you (or anyone) know if anyone has stepped up to fill this niche? I have only one silvered lens and I'd like to get a few more done...
Brian’s house burned down last year - a total loss. I’ve always wondered whether the fire was started by the chemicals he used to strip and re-anodize these old lenses.

I haven’t hears of anyone doing this.
04-19-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

I started out with zooms — the DA 18-55, the DA 12-24, the A 35-105 — but eventually moved to the DA 15 and a series of vintage primes: M 20/4, K 28/3.5, K 35/3.5. Eventually, however, these vintage lenses were displaced by the HD DA 21 and the HD DA 35. The reason for going to modern lenses is larger for the modern coatings, which provide better contrast and color — critical for the style of landscape photography I'm aiming at. In the last year I added a K-1 to my arsenal primarily for shooting zooms. Sometimes the versatility of zooms is essential for landscape photography, particularly when exploring a scene you're not terribly familiar with. However, even the zooms dominate the K-1, I do occasionally use those old vintage lenses, which can now be used as they were intended. The K 35/3.5 and the A 50/2.8 are about as sharp as the DFA 28-105, the K 28/3.5 and M 20/4 a little less so. But the older lenses do have idiocyncratic properties which, depending on the kind of light and color you throw at them, can lead to very unique images — certaintly different from what most people are getting with their digital gear nowadays.

I would keep a standard zoom around just in case, but I never found one I really liked until the DA 16-85.