Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No don't buy it as you have the brilliant 20-40 Ltd. I can't believe some of the mediocre reviews of the 20-40 Ltd but that is the internet for you or they got faulty lenses, all I know mine is brilliant and I'm a landscape photographer. My 20-40 is as sharp wide open @ f4 as my DA40 at f4 (yes I was really surprised too!). It is also more flare resistant due to the HD coatings being superior to SMC, including the Sun in my photos as I often do is much more possible woth the 20-40 Ltd. (Of course the DA35 Ltd now has HD also).

Anyhow I got the 20-40 Ltd to save me changing lenses and carrying lots of lenses on long hikes. I used to carry the K24 f3.5 (rare lens), K28 f3.5, K35 f3.5 and DA40 f2.8 Ltd. Also none of these lenses are weather sealed, the DA35 Macro isn't weather sealed while the lens you just bought is.

Yes the person before is right, the DA15 f4 Ltd is a great partner for the 20-40 Ltd, I have the HD version and the colours are exactly like the HD DA20-40 Ltd, that being saturated, contrasty and real. I usually switch to the DA15 when wanting to include close foreground features.

06-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
No don't buy it as you have the brilliant 20-40 Ltd. I can't believe some of the mediocre reviews of the 20-40 Ltd but that is the internet for you or they got faulty lenses, all I know mine is brilliant and I'm a landscape photographer. My 20-40 is as sharp wide open @ f4 as my DA40 at f4 (yes I was really surprised too!). It is also more flare resistant due to the HD coatings being superior to SMC, including the Sun in my photos as I often do is much more possible woth the 20-40 Ltd. (Of course the DA35 Ltd now has HD also).

Anyhow I got the 20-40 Ltd to save me changing lenses and carrying lots of lenses on long hikes. I used to carry the K24 f3.5 (rare lens), K28 f3.5, K35 f3.5 and DA40 f2.8 Ltd. Also none of these lenses are weather sealed, the DA35 Macro isn't weather sealed while the lens you just bought is.

Yes the person before is right, the DA15 f4 Ltd is a great partner for the 20-40 Ltd, I have the HD version and the colours are exactly like the HD DA20-40 Ltd, that being saturated, contrasty and real. I usually switch to the DA15 when wanting to include close foreground features.
I like my HD DA 20-40 lens ALOT. Ive been looking at the KP and this will make a fantastic hiking and outdoor travel camera for what I really need.
For the moment at least Im going to hold off on getting any more lenses in the 20mm+ focal length and concentrate on thoroughly testing what I already have.
I also have the SMC-K 24/3.5 and its not easy to beat at that focal length.
You are right , the DA 20-40 replaces 5 primes for me to carry on outings and actually does everything very well that I need at least on APS-c.
Im going to stick with it for now , and possibly permanently attach it to the snout of my KP that's coming next week.
That makes the most sense , even if that's as far as I go for a while......Thanks.
06-27-2018, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Im really drawn to the HD DA 35mm Limited Macro lens.
I keep thinking it would also make an exceptional general landscape lens as well ?
However.....before entertaining these ideas any further , I decided to run it past my Pentax Forum Brethren.

I already have plenty of SMC- A and SMC-K Primes from 24mm - 200mm and don't plan on getting rid of any.
I also just recently purchased the DA 20-40 limited last month as my only modern travel lens for use on my K-3II , and have the DFA 28-105 (used briefly and liked it) for my K-1 headed my direction and these are the only two modern autofocus lenses I have.

Would I be wasting my money buying this little beauty because of what I already have ?
Im just wondering how well this lens would do as a landscape lens alone on its own , with the added benefit of being auto focus with modern coatings.
My shooting style for landscapes is very low , often an interesting close object , often using water pools for reflection, and slow shutter speeds and ISO.

Im finding a bit of freedom getting a couple newer lenses to help propel me into the current world of photography , and get away a little bit from shooting only manual Primes.
The f3/2.8 LTD is one of the best lenses Pentax has made. The only thing I don't like about it is the somewhat slow maximum aperture, but for landscapes and general photography, this is not much of a problem. I had the full LTD lens family when I shot with the K3, and the 35/2.8 and the 70/2.4 are the only lenses I kept from my APS-C kit when I moved to the K1, and the only reason I kept the 70 is because it didn't sell when I tried.
Another poster mentioned the 20-40. I've never found wides to be my go to for landscapes, I gravitate to normal to short tele. When I was shooting 4x5, my go to lens was the 210mm. The 20-40 would be a nice landscape lens because of the slightly longer reach over the 35, but it loses a stop of speed at the long end. I found the 20-40 to be one of those excellent lenses (it is very good indeed) that I never hit it off with.
Disclaimer: I am, in general, not attracted to zoom lenses.
06-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The f3/2.8 LTD is one of the best lenses Pentax has made. The only thing I don't like about it is the somewhat slow maximum aperture, but for landscapes and general photography, this is not much of a problem. I had the full LTD lens family when I shot with the K3, and the 35/2.8 and the 70/2.4 are the only lenses I kept from my APS-C kit when I moved to the K1, and the only reason I kept the 70 is because it didn't sell when I tried.
Another poster mentioned the 20-40. I've never found wides to be my go to for landscapes, I gravitate to normal to short tele. When I was shooting 4x5, my go to lens was the 210mm. The 20-40 would be a nice landscape lens because of the slightly longer reach over the 35, but it loses a stop of speed at the long end. I found the 20-40 to be one of those excellent lenses (it is very good indeed) that I never hit it off with.
Disclaimer: I am, in general, not attracted to zoom lenses.
It was only because of PF member HelenJo and her multiple KP's that I was able to try the DA 20-40 Limited at her insistence. I don't see it as my Go-To Landscape lens , but rather a lens that does very good on APS-c overall. In many ways its a step up for me , as im covered for many wide and normal single prime lenses , and have the modern lens functions at my fingertips.

06-27-2018, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

It was only because of PF member HelenJo and her multiple KP's that I was able to try the DA 20-40 Limited at her insistence. I don't see it as my Go-To Landscape lens , but rather a lens that does very good on APS-c overall. In many ways its a step up for me , as im covered for many wide and normal single prime lenses , and have the modern lens functions at my fingertips.
If you already have the 20-40 and like it, I'm not sure what you'll get out of the 35/2.8. It's nice that it close focuses, but if you want day to day macro, you will be better served by a longer focal length. I never learned to like the 20-40, but zooms really aren't my cup of tea, so that is no surprise to me.
06-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you already have the 20-40 and like it, I'm not sure what you'll get out of the 35/2.8. It's nice that it close focuses, but if you want day to day macro, you will be better served by a longer focal length. I never learned to like the 20-40, but zooms really aren't my cup of tea, so that is no surprise to me.
Since Im dealing with APS-C and FF Im looking at ALL my options for both.
APS-C for travel , fun , and general photography.
FF for when I should want to get real serious with landscapes.
I feel the need to build two systems , and that's why I was looking really hard at the DA 35 Limited to see where it might fit in , if at all.
06-27-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Since Im dealing with APS-C and FF Im looking at ALL my options for both.
APS-C for travel , fun , and general photography.
FF for when I should want to get real serious with landscapes.
I feel the need to build two systems , and that's why I was looking really hard at the DA 35 Limited to see where it might fit in , if at all.
I'll ramble a bit more. You seem comfy with zooms, so the 20-40 is an excellent choice. I really couldn't find anything to fault with it other than my predilection about zooms in general.
I never put it head to head with the 35/2.8. My gut tells me the 35 will be better, but I don't have science on my side. The 20-40 is certainly good enough that it's unlikely that you would miss the 35.
If you are wanting to support two systems then forgo the aps-c 35mm and consider a Full frame macro. Both the 50mm and 100mm Pentax macro lenses should be on your consideration list if you are building a Pentax lens system.

06-27-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I seen results and images that showed the 20-40 Ltd to be sharper than the legendary FA 31mm f1.8 at f3.5 and about evens at f8. My own experience pixel peeping landscape images with the 20-40 had me in shock with the resolution. I find it difficult to fault except coma with point light sources with the aperture wide open, it disappears closing down 1-2 stops. Saying that, the coma didn't ditract from some beautiful nightscapes I took in the mountains.

I bet the DA 35mm f2.8 Ltd has coma/astigmatism wide open although the DA 40mm Ltd f2.8 is surprisingly low on coma wide open which is why I kept it as an astro lens, but that is the only reason I kept it.
07-13-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im really drawn to the HD DA 35mm Limited Macro lens.
I keep thinking it would also make an exceptional general landscape lens as well ?
However.....before entertaining these ideas any further , I decided to run it past my Pentax Forum Brethren.

I already have plenty of SMC- A and SMC-K Primes from 24mm - 200mm and don't plan on getting rid of any.
I also just recently purchased the DA 20-40 limited last month as my only modern travel lens for use on my K-3II , and have the DFA 28-105 (used briefly and liked it) for my K-1 headed my direction and these are the only two modern autofocus lenses I have.

Would I be wasting my money buying this little beauty because of what I already have ?
Im just wondering how well this lens would do as a landscape lens alone on its own , with the added benefit of being auto focus with modern coatings.
My shooting style for landscapes is very low , often an interesting close object , often using water pools for reflection, and slow shutter speeds and ISO.

Im finding a bit of freedom getting a couple newer lenses to help propel me into the current world of photography , and get away a little bit from shooting only manual Primes.

I have an HD DA 35mm macro lens and it's by far my favorite lens (aside from my DA*300, of course )

Whenever I'm feeling a slump in my photography, I put the 35 on my K-3ii and can always find something interesting to shoot... Landscapes included.

I'm actually intrigued by the 20-40 and have considered picking one up, so we're in opposite positions right now lol.

If you were inclined; I'd be willing to do a one week swap if you wanted to try out the 35 macro.
Insurance, tracking, ya know all that good stuff to cover each other's gear.

Let me know if you're interested.
I've seen more absurd offers on this forum before... lol
07-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I have an HD DA 35mm macro lens and it's by far my favorite lens (aside from my DA*300, of course )

Whenever I'm feeling a slump in my photography, I put the 35 on my K-3ii and can always find something interesting to shoot... Landscapes included.

I'm actually intrigued by the 20-40 and have considered picking one up, so we're in opposite positions right now lol.

If you were inclined; I'd be willing to do a one week swap if you wanted to try out the 35 macro.
Insurance, tracking, ya know all that good stuff to cover each other's gear.

Let me know if you're interested.
I've seen more absurd offers on this forum before... lol
I don't see anything at all absurd about this. Thanks for speaking up and saying something.
Down the road a bit I just may take you up on this interesting proposition. And just when I was about to put this idea of a HD DA 35 Macro to bed for a while , and concentrate instead on the DA 21 limited as my next purchase , this little lens of wonderment resurfaces......lol.
07-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't see anything at all absurd about this. Thanks for speaking up and saying something.
Down the road a bit I just may take you up on this interesting proposition. And just when I was about to put this idea of a HD DA 35 Macro to bed for a while , and concentrate instead on the DA 21 limited as my next purchase , this little lens of wonderment resurfaces......lol.
Ooo yeah that DA21 definitely has my eye on it as well!
Probably will be my next purchase from the DA limited lineup...

I'm saving up for a DFA150-450 though so the DA21 will likely wait; even though it's purchase would be marginal compared to the tele-zoom lens... lol
07-18-2018, 02:49 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I first bought the DA70 limited and then the 35 limited, both great lenses. And then the DA21, but that lens was a disappointment (yes I pixel peep) as it needs lots of stopping down and even then it does not hold up in the corners.
07-19-2018, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I first bought the DA70 limited and then the 35 limited, both great lenses. And then the DA21, but that lens was a disappointment (yes I pixel peep) as it needs lots of stopping down and even then it does not hold up in the corners.
I think the DA70 is a phenomenal lens. And the DA35 macro is surgically sharp...
I don't own the DA21, but I'd imagine it would be tough to rival the sharpness of these two lenses.

I'm sure there are other reasons to own the DA21 over pure sharpness. I'm still drawn to the lens by images Ive seen taken with it. Perhaps your copy is faulty? Perhaps not?
I think it's still on my list... (LBA)

But with such a short lineup of dedicated Pentax lenses (compared to competing companies), there are few lenses that are NOT on my list lol
07-19-2018, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Forum Member

SMC DA21 is really not a super sharp lens, however it deserves the good place in photo bag.

HD DA21 is MUCH better in terms of sharpness on all f-stops. It has also better contrast, better flare resistance and is generally the piece of glass which I really love and recommend to everyone.
07-19-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I had the 15/21/HD35/40/70... my silver SMC DA 21 was my favorite, but I need the WR for walk around and travel, I sold all my 21/35/40 when I acquired the HD 20-40, the 20-40 is not that sharp when compared with the 35, but it has the colors like any of the limiteds.

I am a happy camper, but I still miss the 21 for its compactness, gosh if only those were WR from start.