Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 56 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
I had the 15/21/HD35/40/70... my silver SMC DA 21 was my favorite, but I need the WR for walk around and travel, I sold all my 21/35/40 when I acquired the HD 20-40, the 20-40 is not that sharp when compared with the 35, but it has the colors like any of the limiteds.

I am a happy camper, but I still miss the 21 for its compactness, gosh if only those were WR from start.

Oh yeah if the DA limited lenses were all WR, it would be a game changer!

Granted, they are still sealed up pretty well!

I've taken the DA15 out in a blizzard and the camera came in completely soaked and it was fine... I don't know if I would take it out in a thunderstorm, but I'm typically not shooting when it's heavy downpour anyways.

The few occasions I've been caught in a storm with my DA35 macro, I've tucked it under my shirt (idk why, it doesn't help much lol) and the lens/camera were fine when I got back to the car.

But that WR designation gives us peace of mind. It would also help reduce the whirring buzz of that drive motor!
The fact that they made the 20-40 make me think they are not going to re-release all the da limited lenses with WR and DC motor...

Imagine an HD DA 24-70 WR DC!? Doubt it because of the DFA version that just came out...
And there is a place for APS-C lenses, to those that just say "Buy the DFA?"

A dedicated DA lens would be smaller and lighter than the DFA equivalent.
Also likely a bit cheaper.

All things appreciated ^

One can dream... Though I am excited for the 11-18 to release!

07-20-2018, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

I remember when the HD version of the DA Limiteds came out, Ricoh said that there were coating changes as well as optical tweaks to some lenses. The DA 21 is the most likely to have had an optical tweak, as I've heard several times that the HD seems sharper edge to edge and I saw a review that said that as well.
That would probably explain why the DA 21 SMC version is selling so cheap these days - sometimes even under 200 US dollars. I might have to sell my Tokina 19-35 and another lens or two and buy one, it's selling for about what I paid for my DA 35 2.4 back in 2013 or so. I wouldn't buy it for 500 dollars, but for 200 it's very very tempting

So the answer to this thread is, yes the DA 35 2.8 Limited is good for landscapes, but get a 21 or 15 to go with it
07-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulo Quote
SMC DA21 is really not a super sharp lens, however it deserves the good place in photo bag.

HD DA21 is MUCH better in terms of sharpness on all f-stops. It has also better contrast, better flare resistance and is generally the piece of glass which I really love and recommend to everyone.
A change in lens coatings shouldn't make any difference to sharpness except possibly perceived sharpness if it cuts down on flare and improves contrast. My DA 21mm is very sharp indeed from f/4.5 onwards, so I suspect your SMC 21mm may have been a poor copy.
07-21-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

I had 3 samples od SMC DA21 and all of them could not be compared with HD version. Do not want to say they were poor but simply the latter is much better. I spoke also with one guy from local dealer, he also confirmed that HD DA21 is improved. No idea what was changed, but seems Pentax really did something to better "fit" lens performance into resolution of modern sensors.

07-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The 35 Limited is still an awesome landscape lens and performs well at F2.8 for low light. It is sharp across the full frame. I still find my useful with the 20-40 Limited in my bag as well plus the 15 Limited to cover the wide end.
07-24-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #36

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
But at smaller apertures, is the DA 35 2.8 going to be better than the 20-40 at around 35mm? That is the question I think.
From my experience, having both lenses and using them stopped down, on tripod to take product pictures, there is no discernible differences in sharpness/resolution or rendering between these lens. The 20-40 seems to be more uniformly sharp across the frame, and I like the rendering, transition between focus and out of focus area, and the bokeh on this lens better, compared to the 35 ltd. Also chromatic aberrations are better controlled.

I could go further and say, that at anything over a couple feet/meters, the 20-40 fares better. Is like the 35 macro works great on short distances/macro, but not as much on anything longer.

Last edited by Gianclaudio; 07-24-2018 at 04:23 PM.
07-24-2018, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
.. And just when I was about to put this idea of a HD DA 35 Macro to bed for a while , and concentrate instead on the DA 21 limited as my next purchase , this little lens of wonderment resurfaces......lol.
21 or 35 ltd, my 0.02$ is getting the green ring version. ( the older version )
you already have the HD 20-40 that works really well. what the green ring ltd can offer you is the beautiful starbursts effect which 20-40 and HD ltd can't do.
15, 20, 35 ltd green ring can produce very nice starburst effect. highly recommended for night city landscape photography. I have the 15 and 21 green ring. 35 will be my next to get.

- edit -
This is the starbursts from DA21 I was talking about. to me. I just happen to take a lot of night photo in city so I demand more on sharpness and starbursts effect from my landscape lenses.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 07-25-2018 at 05:33 PM.
07-24-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
funny thing: I bought the 35 Limited to stave off the curiosity I had for the 20-40 zoom....
I have the 35LTD, and had the 20-40. The latter is beautifully crafted, but I just went looking, and I have no pictures from it. I hope whoever got it gave it a good home. I have several hundred with the 35LTD.
07-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #39
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have the 35LTD, and had the 20-40. The latter is beautifully crafted, but I just went looking, and I have no pictures from it. I hope whoever got it gave it a good home. I have several hundred with the 35LTD.

it is magical...
07-25-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

My 35mm limited perform perfectly at any distance. I have noted a number of concerns about the infinity performance of the DA 35mm from some users and I found that it's simply a question of making sure the AF micro-adjustment is spot-on. The difference between infinity and almost infinity in turning the focus on the DA 35mm is very slight, so even a small AF discrepancy will cause infinity shots to appear slightly soft, when in fact they're slightly mis-focused.
07-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
21 or 35 ltd, my 0.02$ is getting the green ring version. ( the older version )
you already have the HD 20-40 that works really well. what the green ring ltd can offer you is the beautiful starbursts effect which 20-40 and HD ltd can't do.
15, 20, 35 ltd green ring can produce very nice starburst effect. highly recommended for night city landscape photography. I have the 15 and 21 green ring. 35 will be my next to get.
Stopped down to f8 - f32 the HD DA 20-40 Ltd does produce sunbursts, just more subtle than green ring SMC primes. As others have noted, the rendering, bokeh, contrast, colour, flare resistance etc. are superb. My SMC green ring DA 40 f2.8 Ltd has quite bad flaring with the sun in the frame, with the DA 20-40 Ltd absolutely zero! 😀
07-26-2018, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #42
Forum Member

I think it would make a great landscape lens. Stitch if you want more subject in the photo. The thing with wide angle "landscape" lenses is that they don't always do justice to some landscapes. Majestic mountains can be shrunk into unwhelming mounds!

07-27-2018, 01:25 AM - 3 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
I think it would make a great landscape lens. Stitch if you want more subject in the photo. The thing with wide angle "landscape" lenses is that they don't always do justice to some landscapes. Majestic mountains can be shrunk into unwhelming mounds!
exactly why I don't like the "landscape lens = super wide" philosophy.
07-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I only use my DA15 when including close foreground objects into a landscape, for example, a dry stone wall winding it's way up to a mountain peak. This focal length diminishes mountain ranges and I regularly use up to 135mm on APSC for mountain ranges and 300mm for individual peaks.
07-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My 35mm limited perform perfectly at any distance. I have noted a number of concerns about the infinity performance of the DA 35mm from some users and I found that it's simply a question of making sure the AF micro-adjustment is spot-on. The difference between infinity and almost infinity in turning the focus on the DA 35mm is very slight, so even a small AF discrepancy will cause infinity shots to appear slightly soft, when in fact they're slightly mis-focused.
Perhaps is my copy, but even using liveview, subjects at anything but a few meters/feet don't look as nice as close up shooting, where is stellar.
I'm not saying is terrible, but the 20-40 is simply better at that regard.