Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
What technique do you use in astro? Since you went into discussion fast vs slow, you are not doing stacking?

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3 через Tapatalk
Hi. Not much experience really yet. In june 2013 I did a few sessions of trials with K-5iis, 18-135 WR and O-GPS. All I did was trying single long and astrotracked exposures at different ISO settings.
On my 1st session I did manage to capture a bit of the MW above some orange glow. 2nd session was a miss due to poor focusing.

And then came 3 kids in close order, 2 movings and a major career change with accelerated training. So basically no more time/energy, especially at night. But since things have settled down I figure I can jump back on the wagon.

Since then I've been able to play with my new HD 55-300 WR, and shoot the Moon handheld.

Have to look more into techniques and post treatment.

Last edited by JMvS; 06-30-2018 at 08:23 AM.
06-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #17

Original Poster
For reference here is an example of what I was able to get:
K-5 iis, 18-135mm WR @ 18mm & f/3.5, ISO1600m, single 60s exposure with astrotracer.
I only removed the tungsten using Silky Pix.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-30-2018, 10:02 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
For reference here is an example of what I was able to get:
K-5 iis, 18-135mm WR @ 18mm & f/3.5, ISO1600m, single 60s exposure with astrotracer.
I only removed the tungsten using Silky Pix.
I would try with multiple shots, you could stack in Sequator, which would give you more light and thus better definition. This would help you get around the limitations of a slower lens.

07-02-2018, 12:54 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I would try with multiple shots, you could stack in Sequator, which would give you more light and thus better definition. This would help you get around the limitations of a slower lens.
Thanks I will give it a try. Managed to try out my vintage 28mm f/2.8 on the Big Dipper from my home, and was able to get a few frames which seem okayish.
I will see if I can stack them and remove the light pollution.

But I really think I'll need to get a new tripod head, the single lever ball head without quick release I have is not practical. I really wonder how to correctly frame something at a longer range...

07-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
But I really think I'll need to get a new tripod head, the single lever ball head without quick release I have is not practical. I really wonder how to correctly frame something at a longer range...
Heads can be expensive. I would do a lot of reading, considering of what you want to do with it, and then start making a list. 12 years ago, I spent a small fortune on an Acratech GP. I still have it and use it all the time. Today, you can get a good quality head for less with pretty much the same features. Panoguy, here on the forum - wrote a couple of excellent reviews for DPreview a couple of years ago. He has a lot of information.
07-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the Samyang 16/2!!

Wim
08-15-2018, 06:41 AM   #22

Original Poster
Update :

I pulled the trigger on an Irix 15mm f/2.4 Firefly, it was finally available from Amazon, even got a better deal from the European version (me and my indecisiveness, a couple weeks ago someone nearby listed a used Blackstone for much less, of course it went away quickly..., same for a very well priced used Sigma 18-35 f/1.8...).

Still on the look for a tripod head, I've been considering the iOptron 3305A which seems well built at a very reasonable price. Any feedbacks on that one or other recommendations?

09-14-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
The Irix 15mm f/2.4 and iOptron ballhead fared reasonably well given my meager skills. But I had not anticipated that lens to be that enormous, a couple times I regretted not opting for the Samyang 16mm f/2 on volume footprint alone.

Of course the weather was mostly terrible! Over 6 nights, I only got 2 that were sort of usable, which was actually a nice surprise given the weather forecast!

1st window of opportunity was beautiful and of course it was the evening I had scheduled a special diner for our 5th anniversary on the beach... at least it was most romantic to show her the Milky Way while looking at Venus's reflection in the Indian Ocean... but I did manage to snatch a few shots before some pesky clouds appeared (I guess that's a perk of traveling with a baby needing her mommy). I went mostly random, not even bothering with composition and precise focusing, trialing different ISO and exposure settings.

Below a relatively decent shot at 15mm (of course), f/2.4, 15s, ISO3200, single shot, JPEG out of the camera.

2nd usable night was of course the last, with lots of clouds in the beginning, only clearing a bit when the MW was about to set... I decided to mostly shoot at f/2.4, 20s, ISO1600, at first like the other night pointlessly aiming for panoramas, I ended simply shooting in continuous mode till the night took over me. 2nd pic is one of the first from that night, 15mm, f/2.4, 20s ISO1600, JPEG out of camera.

Given either the high amount of foreground elements and/or clouds, I probably won't be able to stitch or even stack much. Will see if I can still enhance a little and/or maybe do a little timelapse.

At least I did not get that gear for nothing, now I'll have to find a way to continue using it with a 4th on the way...

NB : timestamps are off 2h as I had not switched time zones.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo