Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 07:34 AM   #1

Had a play with the Takamura 55mm F/1.8

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Today I decided to have a go at some indoor fun shots with my Tak 55mm F/1.8

And guess what? yep forgot what aperture I took each image at..Doh

I know I was using apertures between F/2.8 - F/8

Canon 60D
Manual Mode
Tripod
Cable release

I did notice that while using live view and having camera on M the images on the LCD screen were dark, flicking into Av brightened the screen
I composed and used live view to focus then switched back to M on the Canon 60D and switched off live view, adjusted the exposure and took the shot, I also noticed that some images can come out darker which suggests some images are under exposed, no worries, just go up one stop in exposure and take another shot.

Its all still trial and error for me at the moment but hopefully will get there.

Name:  _MG_1946.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  47.1 KB

Name:  _MG_1974.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  _MG_1965.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  75.3 KB

Mmmm seems after I uploaded theses images the colour has muted in the middle image, actually all images seem to look softer than the originals.

06-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No worries as i am on my phone. I love that first one. These simple set ups with simple objects and simple light are not that simple to set up. Did i mention the simple composition?
Good job.
06-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which version of it? An m42 mount? I have an m42 SMC Tak 55mm 1.8, and it's possibly my best lens (and I have a lot.) Around f4 it is insanely sharp and renders great.
06-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
No worries as i am on my phone. I love that first one. These simple set ups with simple objects and simple light are not that simple to set up. Did i mention the simple composition?
Good job.

Simple things for a simple mind lol

I love just taking something ordinary and just using it as a prop, I visit charity shops/thrift stores to find stuff that triggers my imagination, I get some funny looks when I purchase dolls

I have just finished an NC course in photography and going back to colllege again to do my HNC and HND and then hopefully a Degree at University, Im a what they class as a "mature student"

Have got other images taken when at college but dont know if I can post them on here as they were all taken with a Canon 60D and Canon lenses

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Which version of it? An m42 mount? I have an m42 SMC Tak 55mm 1.8, and it's possibly my best lens (and I have a lot.) Around f4 it is insanely sharp and renders great.
It was a M42 mount and it was the Super-Multi-Coated version, I beleive it was from 71/72 era, when i was a boy

06-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've long loved that lens probably because it was one of the 2 that I got with my first camera so I had learn with it. I still use it and still like it a lot and should probably use it more but the 8 element 50mm f/1.8 seems to have taken it's spot. I have started using it for macro on extension tubes
06-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We love pictures here, not just pentax pictures. The photographer is at least part pentaxian.
06-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
We love pictures here, not just pentax pictures. The photographer is at least part pentaxian.
Im slowly coming over to the dark side

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 12:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I've long loved that lens probably because it was one of the 2 that I got with my first camera so I had learn with it. I still use it and still like it a lot and should probably use it more but the 8 element 50mm f/1.8 seems to have taken it's spot. I have started using it for macro on extension tubes

I picked up the lens with a Pentax Spotmatic SPII, along with a Komura 135mm f/3.5 for £25.00

Ah extension tubes, tell me more, what type do i need? I haven't a clue regarding extension tubes, or to that matter tele converters, I have a Helios 2x converter sitting here but its not a Pentax mount, think it was part of a Petri camera kit but it was attached to the Komura 135mm when I bought it.

06-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could try using the Auto/Manual switch on the lens when you're shooting. When the switch is in Auto, the lens is waiting for the camera to control the aperture using the chrome pin in the rear of the M42 mount. Since your camera doesn't do that, the lens aperture should be wide open instead. Switch to the lens to Manual and the aperture closes to whatever you chose on the lens aperture ring. This way you can focus wide open, then switch to a different aperture and shoot. It may be easier than switching to live view and Av. Sometimes the Auto/Manual switch isn't in a convenient place to use on a DSLR.
06-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuggzi Quote
Ah extension tubes, tell me more, what type do i need? I haven't a clue regarding extension tubes
For what ever reason I seem to have had a pretty good experience using that 55mm f/1.8 on extension tubes, as well as reverse mounting a SMC takumar 28mm f/3.5, for macro. In both cases far better than using the 50mm f/1.4 on extension tubes but I think that just may be because of the operator. I have 2 sets of M42 mount extension tubes. One is the auto extension tubes which would engage the aperture button on the rear of those screw mount lenses, and another that doesn't. This isn't a concern as you aren't using a spotmatic which used that feature so you will have to put the lens into manual aperture, focus and compose wide open, and then stop down. Both are Asahi Optical Co. ones are are really well made. I did a quick check and didn't see any for sale in the market place but they are easy enough to find on e-bay and a set is pretty cheap. Expect to spend about $10 for a near perfect set. Here is the first set I found that has a picture. Since you already have an EOS to M42 adapter you won't have a problem there. If you want to play around some more with macro photography I would also suggest getting an old SMC or Super Takumar 28mm f/3.5 M42 lens and M42 to 49mm filter reversing adapter. I forget what I paid at retail but it wasn't above $20 for the reversing ring and that was only a few months back, but here is what one looks like that is for sale. For things like these in M42 mount just go with the genuine Asahi or Pentax items as they are inexpensive and the off brand ones are really a mixed bag and you only save a couple of dollars.

From what I have read I believe that the extension tubes have these lengths:
#1 - 9mm
#2 - 19mm
#3 - 28mm

Since you can stack them you get 56mm of extension. Which with the 55mm f/1.8 lens would get you to 1:1 macro. If you only use the 28mm one you are at 1:2, or if you are like me and have 2 sets you can get to 2:1 with a total of 112mm of extension between the lens and body. However at this point you are basically stuffing the lens down what ever you are trying to take a picture of. Also at 1:1 macro doing this you lose 2 stops of light and at 2:1 you lose 4. With the 55mm f/1.8 lens there is a fair amount of focus breathing but the focus ring will change the focal point. If you don't know what focus breathing is it become very clear when doing macro with this lens on extension tubes.

I like the 28mm f/3.5 reverse mounted because that basically gives you a 2:1 macro, but with the extension tubes I can get up to112mm of extension which when used like this basically gives you a 6:1 macro with a ton of light loss. Here is a shot I took with my K-3 using a SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5 lens on a reversing ring, on the #1 extension tube. Also with the reversed mounted 28mm you are farther away from the subject and even with the #3 tube thrown into the mix I can illuminate the subject with the on camera flash. One thing you do lose when doing this is that the focus ring on the lens does nothing and to focus you move the camera.

Extension tubes basically allow the lens to focus closer than they normally would which allows them to provide greater magnification. However when using them you do lose the ability to focus to infinity or even at longer distances. At some point the magnification gets into the macro range, hopefully before the end of the lens is touching the object you are photographing. Instead of extension tubes you can also use bellows which provide much finer control and a greater range but do cost more, but not much.

For some more background information you can read the wikipedia page on macro photography and get some more of the basics.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuggzi Quote
or to that matter tele converters
I am the wrong person to ask about teleconverters as the one I have was a $5 gamble at the pawn shop years ago. I lost that bet and got probably the worst teleconverter ever made.