Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who says that size doesn't matter

Called in at a camera shop yesterday where the staff know that I am interested in Pentax gear.
They let me play with this FA 600mm F4.0 ED[IF}.

It weighs 15.5lbs and is built like a tank.

The AF was surprisingly fast and positive for such a large lens. The image of the clock was taken handheld at F4.0 with SR on the camera, a BIG tripod would have been more appropriate. It is a really nice piece of kit.

dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! I would like to have a relationship with my store as good as yours. That lens is HUGE! The SR compensated for your attempt at holding this lens that is for sure sharp, sharp! How far was it from you?
02-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The majestic lens coated with silver birch finish.

The weight and the cost makes me feel depressed.

Lucky you that you could even photograph their brand new lens like that. You must be a great customer for them
02-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Wow! I would like to have a relationship with my store as good as yours. That lens is HUGE! The SR compensated for your attempt at holding this lens that is for sure sharp, sharp! How far was it from you?
Alvin, I think it was about 150-200m.. here is a shot taken at 35mm from the same spot on a previous visit, the clock is just up and right of centre.

dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist D  Photo 
02-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Dave,

Nice job hand holding this toy. I happen to be looking for one of these right now. Other than the fact that UK prices for Pentax gear are freightening enough for simple gear, might these people be looking to part with it at the moment? You can PM me or email me on this this topic. Thanks.

I did some hand holding of my SMC 1000/11 yesterday at 1/45 and acctually got some decent results. But I think 16.5 pounds of camera and lens is a wee bit much even for me

Stephen
02-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

nooooo...

I shouldn't have looked - dammit, now I cannot get those beautiful FA* 600/4 images out of my mind...

I've subscribed to this thread! Wow, what a sweet, sweet lens....

Perhaps you can convince them to let you photograph it for the lens review database, and give it to the site's webmaster?
02-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd like a photo of the Lens + Camera haha. Damn that tripod mount is crazy. Look at all the different screw inserts. Smart I say.
02-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How much is this? Just curious; not interested in buying one.

02-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #9

A quick check of google showed that that lens can be yours for a tick under $6,500.(USD)

You need to treat that type of lens like you would a 25 year old kid who still lives at home. It needs to go out and earn its keep.