Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens Converter for HSM or SDM

I purchased a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG II HSM and will be looking for a converter, 1.4x or 1.5x.

I am being told that the present Sigma 1.4x for Pentax does not work the HSM system on this lens, manual focusing only.

I have also read somewhere that Sigma is coming up with a new version to fix this shortfall. Is there an other type available which would work with HSM/SDM?

Anyone aware of something decent, please let me know.

BTW, I don't want to exceed 1.7x

09-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dennis

How much did you pay for this lens - Im interested in it too with the a TC...that works. Please post some pics

Reg
Warren
09-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Sigma lens site makes no exceptions for full-function with this lens and the PTX mount, so the TC should work, but I would recommend you get the DG version. I am unaware of any other TC brands that will work with Sigma lenses. I have found the Sigma techs are quite responsive and fairly easy to reach by phone; the contact numbers are on their site........
09-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yebo Gogo Quote
Hi Dennis

How much did you pay for this lens - Im interested in it too with the a TC...that works. Please post some pics

Reg
Warren
I paid $1050.00 including GST.

I did play with the first in PS3, rotation.

All had slight adjustments in ACR but overall out of the camera images are quite good.

09-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice shots - 47th St. Photo down here is advertising them for $799.......
09-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

For the HSM focussing to work, you need to have the contacts for it! The Sigma teleconverters do not have them, but some of the older ones do as the contacts were originally used for the power zoom lenses.

My Tamron 1.4X has them as an example, but not aware of any others that do unless anyone else out there has one?!
09-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
For the HSM focussing to work, you need to have the contacts for it! The Sigma teleconverters do not have them, but some of the older ones do as the contacts were originally used for the power zoom lenses.

My Tamron 1.4X has them as an example, but not aware of any others that do unless anyone else out there has one?!
Thanks, that is good info. I'll need to confirm by using one. I'll have to call around to find one to test the validity.
09-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Nice shots - 47th St. Photo down here is advertising them for $799.......
It would be nice if I could get it for that price but by the time I pay the exchange rate, shipping, tax and insurance, it is getting close to your price. One advantage we have, I believe, is the warranty which is 10 years for Sigma lenses purchased in Canada. In addition, if I don't like it, I can return it within 7 days or if I have a problem within 14 days for store replacement at no extra cost with no need to incur extra shipping and insurance costs. I was also able to try it out at the store before making my decision. This also confirmed that the lens was fully functional and look clean before purchase. Finally, I am supporting a local store which in turn keeps the local store prices reasonably low.

09-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Unlocker is correct about SDM PTX lenses. The only TC that I am aware of that will work is the Tamron Pz AF 1.4 MC4, which is discontinued and scarce - there is one up on eBay right now some days to go.........
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unlocker is correct about SDM PTX lenses. The only TC that I am aware of that will work is the Tamron Pz AF 1.4 MC4, which is discontinued and scarce - there is one up on eBay right now some days to go.........
I agree and I would also suggest that the Pentax 1.7tc would also work since it works with anything even manual lenses.
09-15-2008, 02:56 AM   #11

Hi, my 1st post here!

I too have been trying various teleconverters with the new Sigma 70-200 HSM II lens, and found the Sigma APO 2x doesn't work, as has been posted elsewhere on this forum.

I also have a Kenko 1.5x converter, and have found this works fine with the lens retaining HSM AF. It's this model here;

THK Photo Products, Inc.

Not sure how widely available they are now, but if you can find one, it should work as it has the additional contacts in the body of the converter to power the HSM.

I should be receiving the 2x version in the next day or two, so I'll report back how that goes.
09-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #12

Yup, that's the one I got, found it on eBay when I got my DA* 50-135, paid around 40 for it, saw one go recently for over 150, unbelievable!
09-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tooks Quote
Hi, my 1st post here!

I too have been trying various teleconverters with the new Sigma 70-200 HSM II lens, and found the Sigma APO 2x doesn't work, as has been posted elsewhere on this forum.

I also have a Kenko 1.5x converter, and have found this works fine with the lens retaining HSM AF. It's this model here;

THK Photo Products, Inc.

Not sure how widely available they are now, but if you can find one, it should work as it has the additional contacts in the body of the converter to power the HSM.

I should be receiving the 2x version in the next day or two, so I'll report back how that goes.
Thanks,

I am just wondering if the image results would be good using Kenko. Hard to find any around her, Tamron or Kenko.
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't know if you folks have seen this thread, but there is some great info there by various members.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I purchased a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX DG II HSM and will be looking for a converter, 1.4x or 1.5x.

I am being told that the present Sigma 1.4x for Pentax does not work the HSM system on this lens, manual focusing only.

I have also read somewhere that Sigma is coming up with a new version to fix this shortfall. Is there an other type available which would work with HSM/SDM?

Anyone aware of something decent, please let me know.

BTW, I don't want to exceed 1.7x
I would wait for the sigma TC this fall.

I know this is a slight inconvenience, but from my experience the best TC to put on a long sigma lens is a sigma TC.

They are designed for limited (sigma and some pentax) long lenses and not much else, BUT they work extremely well on those lenses.

see the following tow images, origonal SIgma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX and a sigma APO 2X EX DG teleconverter.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187646-post19.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/208249-post1.html

I would not use anything else on the 70-200