Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FA 35 discontinued?

Anyone notice that the FA 35 2.0 is gone from the lineup on the Pentax USA site?

09-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

it's been gone for a while but still on the Japanese site.
and still available at BH
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still here on the Canadian site.
09-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
hmm.. odd.. I hope Pentax will keep this and the FA50 in the lineup after the DA* versions come out. I love the size and price of these and I would love for new Pentaxians to be able to buy them in the future.

Pentax should really do a better job of keeping the website up to date. They had the FA* lenses listed on their site for about two years after they were discontinued. I really wish I could just go out any buy the FA* 80-200mm at a normal price. Oh well.. Looks like the Tamron is the next best thing.

09-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're so behind...

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Still here on the Canadian site.
Ken Rockwell's more up to date than they are.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I had read that Pentax stopped manufacturing the FA35/2 some time in 2007 - and dealers as well as Pentax were running off stock. If so, maybe Pentax USA has emptied their warehouse. Call B&H - they will certainly know.
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
Anyone notice that the FA 35 2.0 is gone from the lineup on the Pentax USA site?
I think it's been about a year since that was listed as a current lens by Pentax. Of course, some dealers still have stock, so it's often still available new. But definitely not a current lens.

09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

This site shows it to be out of production.
09-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ummmm...I have read similar threads in the past and every time I see them I am able to navigate directly to the FA35/2 page at pentaxusa.com

Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL - FA - Wide Angle - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

I think that the confusion arises from the lens not being listed on pentaxslr.com. Why it is not listed there has been assigned to marketing decisions. Go figure... (BTW...The "out-of-production" (according to dmitrov) FA 50/1.4 is listed on pentaxslr.com. Again...go figure...)

As to availability...Both B&H and Adorama have the lens in stock as they have for the last year or so. Adorama will even ship it for free.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/180121-USA/Pentax_22190_Wide_Angle_35mm_f_2_0.html

FA 35/2 at Adorama

Steve

(A little too early to be having a funeral...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-14-2008 at 05:59 PM.
09-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

oh wow... should get a second copy just in case then
09-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...I have read similar threads in the past and every time I see them I am able to navigate directly to the FA35/2 page at pentaxusa.com
OK, but try pentaxslr.com. The site you mention lists a few other products, like the K10D & K100D Super, that are also generally acknowledged to have been discontinued, but I have no explanation for why the discrepancy.
09-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, but try pentaxslr.com. The site you mention lists a few other products, like the K10D & K100D Super, that are also generally acknowledged to have been discontinued, but I have no explanation for why the discrepancy.
The site I mention, pentaxusa.com/pentaximaging.com is the official Pentax USA Web site. The Pentax SLR site (pentaxslr.com) is also "official", but is devoted to marketing the company's digital SLRs. Is Pentax still making the FA 35/2? Probably not. Are they still making the FA 50/1.4? Definitely not. Are either of these lenses available from Pentax? Probably so. Are these products readily available? Definitely so. (Ditto for the K10D and K100D Super.)

For general interest, it might be also good to note the "historical products" at pentaximaging.com. It is clear that Pentax considers all of its FA products to be "historic" including the FA 31/1.8 and other "Limited" lenses.

Steve
09-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Pentax Imaging: smc P-FA 35mm F2.0 AL - FA - Wide Angle - Digital & 35mm - Lenses - Cameras by Pentax

I think that the confusion arises from the lens not being listed on pentaxslr.com. Why it is not listed there has been assigned to marketing decisions. Go figure... (BTW...The "out-of-production" (according to dmitrov) FA 50/1.4 is listed on pentaxslr.com. Again...go figure...)

As to availability...Both B&H and Adorama have the lens in stock as they have for the last year or so. Adorama will even ship it for free.

Pentax | Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 SMCP-FA AL Autofocus Lens | 22190

FA 35/2 at Adorama

Steve

(A little too early to be having a funeral...)
Actually, I believe both stores ran out of stock (at least their websites said they did) around March or April this year, for about a month. I got one used because of it, and then a week or so after the fact they were listed as in stock again on both sites.
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
Actually, I believe both stores ran out of stock (at least their websites said they did) around March or April this year, for about a month. I got one used because of it, and then a week or so after the fact they were listed as in stock again on both sites.
That may be. I bought mine in April and had been periodically checking availability/pricing for about a year before that. I was sort of hoping that the price would drop in a close-out gesture with the release of the 35/2.8, but that never happened. What I suspect is that there was a buying rush sparked by rumors of future unavailability. I saw several used ones for sale above MSRP in May, perhaps as a result.

In any case, there is no need to pay inflated prices for used goods yet. However, if a person is considering this purchase, there may be no time like the present to buy this excellent lens.

Steve
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #15

I panicked and an FA35 is on the way to me from BH now.