Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 05:10 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
my all-time favorite lens the K35/3.5
I had the good fortune to pick up an immaculate copy of this lens at the weekend for peanuts, so can't wait to try it out properly

07-03-2018, 05:34 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If its to be considered for "Limited" imo, the criteria are :
1. Smallish for its focal length and aperture
2. Well built
3. Good rendering wide open and likely good sharpness stopped down

Need to think on this a bit....
07-03-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

official definitions ???

Pentax Lens Quality Indicators

The following two lens quality indicators are applicable to the current as well as legacy Pentax lens series.

* (Star)
Professional-grade lenses with higher image quality and build quality. These generally have fast apertures. DA* lenses specifically feature in-lens focusing motors and dust/weather sealing.

Limited

Premium lenses with higher image quality, all-metal barrels, and an emphases in a small form factor. These lenses generally sacrifice speed for size.

Read more at: DSLR Lens Terms and Abbreviations - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
07-03-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Ok.. based on what I have or have tried.... (also considering if its kinda unique vs competitors)

Limited "like" (or close)
K50/1.2 - small vs any other 50mm f1.2 of its time, one of the best bokeh in most situations vs any f1.2 lenses around its time, good stopped down
DA40XS - its basically a limited since its really also the DA40ltd (only 'fail' is the plastic construction)
Takumar 58/2 - Uniquely the only SLR "50mm" Sonnar lens with the sonnar character. Nice rendering and bokeh when used at the larger apertures and centrally sharp; Sharp enough stopped down. Super small (almost like a RF lens) and well built.
M85/2 - Uniquely small, nice rendering and sharp stopped down for landscapes, the only part that is really bad is the CA at f2 and sometimes f2.8

07-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Ok.. based on what I have or have tried.... (also considering if its kinda unique vs competitors)

Limited "like" (or close)
K50/1.2 - small vs any other 50mm f1.2 of its time, one of the best bokeh in most situations vs any f1.2 lenses around its time, good stopped down
DA40XS - its basically a limited since its really also the DA40ltd (only 'fail' is the plastic construction)
Takumar 58/2 - Uniquely the only SLR "50mm" Sonnar lens with the sonnar character. Nice rendering and bokeh when used at the larger apertures and centrally sharp; Sharp enough stopped down. Super small (almost like a RF lens) and well built.
M85/2 - Uniquely small, nice rendering and sharp stopped down for landscapes, the only part that is really bad is the CA at f2 and sometimes f2.8
I agree with "the best lens in its class ",

my DA 40mm F2.8 XS

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and I am still sticking up for

my D FA 100mm F2.8 macro

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

but it isn't my call
02-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
official definitions ???

Pentax Lens Quality Indicators

The following two lens quality indicators are applicable to the current as well as legacy Pentax lens series.

* (Star)
Professional-grade lenses with higher image quality and build quality. These generally have fast apertures. DA* lenses specifically feature in-lens focusing motors and dust/weather sealing.

Limited

Premium lenses with higher image quality, all-metal barrels, and an emphases in a small form factor. These lenses generally sacrifice speed for size.

Read more at: DSLR Lens Terms and Abbreviations - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Another * quality is that all of the * lenses have fixed aperture.
02-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I feel the DFA 100 Macro WR should quality for the Limited lineup.

Some old lenses like the K35 also.

But, good as they are, lenses such as the various 50s are not Limited or STAR in quality.

06-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Without hesitation SMC 30/2.8 for limited designation. With some reservations SMC 50/1.2 for *