Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D AF tuning with FA*80-200mm

I found my FA*80-200mm to have some back focus problem with my K20D. Thanks for the build in AF tuning function inside K20D, I manage to DIY without sending back to Pentax for adjustment.
I know there is a focus alignment chart, however I am too lazy to download (actually because I have no printer to print the chart out).
I seem to have best result after adjusting to '+7' in the AF menu.
Here are some shots all taken in wide open f2.8.
Focus are all in the eye.
Do you think the pics are ok in sharpness? Thank you for any comments.

09-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to me that you have your focus adjustment perfectly done.
09-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually I am a little bit of nervous and lack of confident without having the chart for alignment, therefore asking...
Thank you.
09-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Who needs a focus chart if you can find the proper adjustment on real-world images? Personally, I find that optimizing your camera/lens in the same environment you'll be shooting gives much more realistic results than on a tripod, shooting a static chart that is very much NOT like any real-world subject. Unless, of course, your environment consists of a lot of tripod work (studio, etc), then the adjustment test matches your average environment.

/rant

Short answer: Yeah, those are some sharp eyes.

09-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The AF adjustment is different for different lens. So it can be hard when multiple lenses are mounted onthe k20d.

The AF is in deed a bit too slow. Your photographs nailed the focus very well
09-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

check this out if you want to do some tests
"Official" focus adjustment Instructions for K20D: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks a lot

09-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Nice dog! I'd prefer that any time to a focusing chart! And you have obviously nailed the focus!
09-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Your lens is TERRIBLE, the worst I've ever seen, irrepairable...

QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
I found my FA*80-200mm to have some back focus problem with my K20D. Thanks for the build in AF tuning function inside K20D, I manage to DIY without sending back to Pentax for adjustment.
I know there is a focus alignment chart, however I am too lazy to download (actually because I have no printer to print the chart out).
I seem to have best result after adjusting to '+7' in the AF menu.
Here are some shots all taken in wide open f2.8.
Focus are all in the eye.
Do you think the pics are ok in sharpness? Thank you for any comments.
You'll have to get a new one. I know a guy who'll take that one off your hands for $100.00 for scrap and parts if you like. Send it on down...

Your lens is FINE!

You have to stop down quite a bit to get the entire snout in focus at that focal length. Try f=16-22 at that focal length if you want most of it sharp.

And, BTW, we have the same dog! Mine is named Zoe, she's almost 16, and is still quite fiesty and going strong.

Great little dogs, the min-pins; ferociously loyal, atheletic, fast, extremely protective, smart, hair not fur so they are hypo-allergenic, don't eat much, long-lived, very few visits to the vets (statistically one of the lowest of any dog) and her poop's the size of your little finger, so easy to pick up after.

Mine's greyer than yours now.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone.
I took a shot later today with my other dog at f5.6. I think after reading all the comments, I will be happy to stay with the +7 setting. Now what I need is to concentrate on using this len without wasting it.

Btw, hi Campo, my min-pins is 10 years old and the Lab is 9 years old.
Indeed I have no idea that a min-pins could live so long, I hopes mine will be healthy likes yours.
Cheers.
(If I want to seperate with this len, I will first inform the guy who'll take it for $100.00...lol)