Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #91

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
With the lens FOCUSED AT INFINITY? That is the point. The Raynox 150 should bring any lens, any focal length into focus at eight inches WHEN THAT LENS IS FOCUSED TO INFINITY. How much closer than that you can focus depends, as stated, on both the focal length of the lens and how close the lens can focus without the Raynox attached.

This is exactly the same way any and all close-up filters work, For example: a +4 close up lens will cause any lens, any focal length to have a front-of-lens-to subject, in-focus distance of approximately 250mm WHEN THE LENS IS FOCUSED AT INFINITY.

The ancient rule: with a lens focused at infinity, when a close-up filter is attached, the lens front to subject focus distance becomes 1000mm divided by the diopter value of the close-up filter, regardless of the focal length of the lens.
WPRESTO, your feedback is awesome.

I see people saying they are using the Raynox on 200mm lenses and similar. What if I put the Raynox 250 on the end of my 55-300mm zoom lens? What effect would that have? Would it be useful? Increase the working and focal distance?

07-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldMountain Quote
Are the Pentax equipment prices generally better in this forum marketplace or on eBay?
In my experience, I've found Pentax marketplace sellers to be excellent while ebay sellers can be hit or miss. Ebay charges a sellers fee while the marketplace is free to members, Ebay sellers typically mark up the item to make up the difference.
07-05-2018, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
In my experience, I've found Pentax marketplace sellers to be excellent while ebay sellers can be hit or miss. Ebay charges a sellers fee while the marketplace is free to members, Ebay sellers typically mark up the item to make up the difference.
Small correction. The marketplace is free per item but it does have a yearly fee - in the form of site supporter status. This only affects the seller not the buyer - all members are free to browse and buy but some level of support is needed to access the marketplace to sell.
07-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a look through the forum marketplace for macro lenses. I've no affiliation whatsoever and can't vouch for the condition, but there is a non-WR DFA 100mm still listed. This is optically identical to the WR version (the WR version has curved aperture blades and maybe different coatings?) and is often a steal of a deal. I don't know why but it's usually undervalued imo, it's like people forget it exists because something shinier came along. Here are a few of my photos taken with mine. Add a tripod, some continuous lights, some diffusion panels & reflectors and you're as ready to roll as you'll ever be for photographing small non-moving objects.

07-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Small correction. The marketplace is free per item but it does have a yearly fee - in the form of site supporter status. This only affects the seller not the buyer - all members are free to browse and buy but some level of support is needed to access the marketplace to sell.
I don't pay for the marketplace, I pay to be a site supporter and will continue to be one. I view the marketplace as a benefit, not a cost that needs to be covered by marking up items I sell. Others may view it differently.
07-05-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't pay for the marketplace, I pay to be a site supporter and will continue to be one. I view the marketplace as a benefit, not a cost that needs to be covered by marking up items I sell. Others may view it differently.
I don't disagree - but the point is that it does cost something and it isn't free. We just both want to support the site more than sell gear. LOL. So the gear selling access is a free benefit of something we are already doing.
07-05-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't disagree - but the point is that it does cost something and it isn't free. We just both want to support the site more than sell gear. LOL. So the gear selling access is a free benefit of something we are already doing.
^^^^ This.

PS: Does this post count towards our monthly goal? We have some ground to cover today.

07-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #98
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^^ This.

PS: Does this post count towards our monthly goal? We have some ground to cover today.

aye, it does...
07-05-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And now for something practical...

A few images from the DCR-150 on my lenses.

First up. The DA 18-135 using the Raynox at 18mm. This is not a practical combination and I include it just to show how silly it can be.

Second - the most magnification I could get from the combo at about 3"

Third the 18-50 using the same DCR-150 @50mm and focused for closest picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-05-2018, 12:54 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh and before anyone comments - yes I realize some of those were at f/29 and I know that's nutty. I was testing something else and forgot to swap it since I didn't really care what aperture I was on - (I figured it would be something rational) and I use a magnified eyepiece with glasses so the info on the screen is hard to see unless I look for it. As soon as I reviewed a couple I corrected it. So don't take these for absolute sharpness either - just a demo.
07-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #101

Original Poster
And now for something practical...

A few images from the DCR-150 on my lenses.

First up. The DA 18-135 using the Raynox at 18mm. This is not a practical combination and I include it just to show how silly it can be.

Second - the most magnification I could get from the combo at about 3"

Third the 18-50 using the same DCR-150 @50mm and focused for closest picture.
Interesting...thanks Uncle Vanya. I'm dying to get the Raynox to try it out. Hoping it arrives today. Though I ordered the 250.
07-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting...thanks Uncle Vanya. I'm dying to get the Raynox to try it out. Hoping it arrives today. Though I ordered the 250.
I have that one too... let me dig it out and put it on the DA 18-50 for you.
07-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

WPRESTO, your feedback is awesome.

I see people saying they are using the Raynox on 200mm lenses and similar. What if I put the Raynox 250 on the end of my 55-300mm zoom lens? What effect would that have? Would it be useful? Increase the working and focal distance?

I tried both Raynox on my original version 55~300mm. In the 55~150mm range results were pretty good, then started deteriorating. I found the results @ 300mm unacceptable.

I tested the Raynox on a 200mm f4 SMCA. That was a good pairing.

I also tested and have used the Raynox on a Voigtlander 180mm f4 Close-Focus. As expected, a superior prime lens = excellent results (there's an image stack taken with this combination posted in the "Spiders" thread).
07-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok - DA 18-50 with DCR-250
First shot is at minimum focus at 50mm without a close up lens attached.
Second shot is DCR-250 at the same minimum focus still at 50mm (the largest magnification I can get from this combo)
Last shot is lens at infinity focus using the DCR-250 and still at 50mm.

All shot handheld and not intended to be art... just a quick and dirty comparison. The 18-55 will likely give better magnification due to the higher native ratio of close shots already and the slightly longer focal length.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #105

Original Poster
I tried both Raynox on my original version 55~300mm. In the 55~150mm range results were pretty good, then started deteriorating. I found the results @ 300mm unacceptable.

I also tested and have used the Raynox on a Voigtlander 180mm f4 Close-Focus. As expected, a superior prime lens = excellent results (there's an image stack taken with this combination posted in the "Spiders" thread).

Very cool! Thanks so much WPRESTO! Now I'm excited.