Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I paid $689 for mine which included the funky square hood; I think that is a reasonable price. Mind you, even at that price, it is the single most expensive lens in my collection. I have been tempted a teeny bit lately to sell due to inflated Ebay prices, but just can't as I would miss the great images it helps me produce. I take little comfort in knowing I have a relatively rare lens, I think everyone should have the opportunity to use great lenses. But if it comes onto the market again - snag one fast!
Does it really take a $1400 lens to take a decent shot of a butterfly?

Taken with a $100 astro scope with a $20 extension tube to bring the focus closer. Take the extension off and you have a powerful telephoto (bird pic)....

Last edited by wildman; 12-26-2008 at 01:00 PM.
09-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

Taken with a $100 astro scope with a $20 extension tube to bring the focus closer. Take the extension off and you have a powerful telephoto (bird pic)....
Voigtlander 125 macro is really something special. Most people feel the difference using this macro in real life application.

In Scott's images, the bokeh are pleasant and smooth. The subject really pop (not just because of the sun light). Part of pleasure using V125L macro is the smooth manual focus.

Again, it is really a big deal for most people. Seeing is believing.

So I told most of my friends to use a kit lens until the "time" comes.
09-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I been asking Stephen Gandy if he hears anything from time to time about new VLs. I've read the Japanese and German homepages about these lenses post photokina, and while Cosina works overtime getting out new lenses for their rangefinders and doing new Zeiss glass (including a new production line of Zeiss in Canon mount (entirely new builds), there has been not a breath of anything new on the SLII front - as much as I desire it personally.

Otoh, their reputation has soared in second hand pricing for these lenses... perhaps someday, a rerun will be undertaken. One can hope
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it worth $1400 to me? In short - No! But at a reasonable price in $700-800 is is more than worth it, at least to me.

The colors I've seen, the smooth bokeh, how sharp the lens is wide open... For someone who enjoys macro photography, there is indeed very noticeable difference in appearance of unedited images between Voigtlander 125mm and every macro lens I've ever tried. Not to say that one or the other is inferior, but for my personal taste, Voigtlander takes the cake.

Speaking of that lens, named "Lanthar" - is it due to the use of Lanthanum in production of the glass for this lens? I first heard of it years and years ago, back home in Russia, with use of older 50mm lenses, and it should reduce optical aberrations while providing maximum level of sharpness and contrast...

Regards,
D

09-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

Thanks for sharing your pictures - they really are beautiful.

I think when used as a 1:1 macro this lens really excels. The in-focus portions of the image are quite sharp and the out-of-focus areas seem to melt away in a creamy blur.

I have seen that in the proper hands this lens produces some stunning imagery. I, on the other hand, am admittedly an amateur that occasionally has moments of enlightenment.

The huge focus ring and all that twisting make it fun to use, too.

09-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #21

I for one would love to see a rehash of this lens.

I pulled the trigger for the SL1 version a few weeks ago with a seller here for at original retail price... until he changed his mind and ebayed it for the aforementioned $1400 range. Ridiculous price to pay for this lens... As much as I love the images produced.. I could not justify that price tag for it... the Vivitar would be just fine for much much less.

If a SL2 came out... then I would be all over it. (assuming it is as good as the old one)

Here's Hoping.

Cheers
Shang
02-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I know, necro thread. But is there any rumors!!

02-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #23

No 125, but apparently there is a 20/3.5. It is listed on some Japanese retailer sites but not yet introduced or on the Cosina site.
02-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

wow, just read about it now... looks like the 40mm, verry interesting

?????? ???????????????- ???? - ????