Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Plenty of great advice in this thread. The best thing you can do now is practice. None of us are as good as our gear, remember that.
Good luck!

07-04-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Plenty of great advice in this thread. The best thing you can do now is practice. None of us are as good as our gear, remember that.
Good luck!
Perfect advice, Mike. I was starting to think how this long list of answers and the insider bickering was just going to confuse the beginner even more. You gave good, crisp advice which is, in the end, all any of us can do to improve.
07-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #33
Forum Member

Manual focus. K1mii.. ?
How do you determine the target is in focus? Is it by Eye only? Is there a setting for the hexagon in the viewfinder to illuminate?
07-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Manual focus. K1mii.. ?
How do you determine the target is in focus? Is it by Eye only? Is there a setting for the hexagon in the viewfinder to illuminate?
Yes to both but the most reliable manual focus is with the LV and magnification.

07-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes to both but the most reliable manual focus is with the LV and magnification.
What is the setting to turn on the hexagon in manual focus under phase detection?
07-04-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the setting to turn on the hexagon in manual focus under phase detection?
Hold down the AF button while you focus. (or half press the shutter if you do not use back button focus).
07-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
Forum Member

Hold down the AF button while you focus. (or half press the shutter if you do not use back button focus).
Thank you. Perfect.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

Not sure what you mean by magnification? Do I take that to mean "zoom", or some other setting?

07-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Perfect.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

Not sure what you mean by magnification? Do I take that to mean "zoom", or some other setting?
In LV press the center button VOILA magnification.
07-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #39
Forum Member

In LV press the center button VOILA magnification.
Woah.. viola. Is right. Thanks Mikesul.
07-04-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Woah.. viola. Is right. Thanks Mikesul.
And you can change the magnification with the rear thumb wheel, and if you turn on "focus peaking", you will get a crisp white outline of the objects/areas in focus.
07-04-2018, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, AF has been many times under hard discussion. it is true tht LV is best to really be sure.
here is just couple quick ones hand held 1/8 second SR on to me it looks great.

70 mm

115mm

and one out and wild snap shot
200mm

If you don't like me posting these here. just let me know, I'll delete them.

oh, and as edit note, they are @ f2.8 all

Last edited by repaap; 07-04-2018 at 09:27 AM.
07-04-2018, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And as has been touched on, get your shutter speed up. If you are trying to freeze leaves in a scene, if there's a breeze, you may well find you need much higher speeds, like 1/2000 or more. Find a new test scene and if needed to get speed up, try an ISO around 400, do a series of shots picking the same focus point, and stop them down as you go. You'll soon start to pick out the sweet spot of the lens. You can do the same thing changing ISO and shutter speed to see how them come into play, and if you want to get real "scientific", you'll even pick some standard scenes you will shoot with all your lenses as you get them e.g, front of the house, neighbor's chimney, etc. And fill your frame with something like the front of a building, and you can start moving around the frame and see where sharpness falls off, or x lens renders the gutter in the top right corner better than y lens - position yourself so you get the same frame coverage when doing the shots. Also, you can set 1/3 EV steps under the C section of the menu setup. This can be nice when you want to just nudge the ISO up a little and are trying to minimize noise but need a bit more speed for stability.
07-04-2018, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well, AF has been many times under hard discussion. it is true tht LV is best to really be sure.
here is just couple quick ones hand held 1/8 second SR on to me it looks great.

70 mm

115mm

and one out and wild snap shot
200mm

If you don't like me posting these here. just let me know, I'll delete them.

oh, and as edit note, they are @ f2.8 all
Those are really sharp Images
07-04-2018, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’ll be a little contrarian...

Leave the tripod at home and go find a bright day and a sporting event with bright uniforms... 🙂

-Eric
07-04-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member

THIS thread is awesome.. great tips.. and better than the very poor manual.. thanks all. And PF.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First: Anyone saying zoom and razor sharp in the same sentence is over stating the sharpness other than perhaps relative to other zooms they've used.

Second: As most have already stated, you'll want to avoid the extreme range of the aperture. f/2.8 and you'll have shallow depth of field plus soft corners and edges. At f/22 you'll be suffering with diffraction. Next time try f/8, f/9.5, f/11.

Third: If you are after sharpness, generally avoid the extreme range of the focal length. So instead of 70mm or 200mm, try 105, 120, 135mm.

Fourth: Eliminate any possibility of blur. If you are shooting still objects handheld, try a minimum of double the focal length...i.e. 120mm....use 1/250" or faster. Turn off SR. I would only use SR if you had to shoot handheld with slower shutter speeds.

Fifth: The 28-105mm kit lens is an excellent lens. Most kit lenses are underrated by users. They are usually paired with the camera because they are cost effective but produce excellent results. The 70-200mm is also an excellent zoom that gives you more range and is sharper than the kit lens at 105mm.

Six: Shoot RAW and use unsharp mask or a high pass filter to enhance your image sharpness.

Last: If your holy grail is sharpness, then you must convert to Primism. I am a believer. Solid tripod and discover the power of pixel shifting. Keep Calm and Carry Prime.
What is "convert to prism" ?

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First: Anyone saying zoom and razor sharp in the same sentence is over stating the sharpness other than perhaps relative to other zooms they've used.

Second: As most have already stated, you'll want to avoid the extreme range of the aperture. f/2.8 and you'll have shallow depth of field plus soft corners and edges. At f/22 you'll be suffering with diffraction. Next time try f/8, f/9.5, f/11.

Third: If you are after sharpness, generally avoid the extreme range of the focal length. So instead of 70mm or 200mm, try 105, 120, 135mm.

Fourth: Eliminate any possibility of blur. If you are shooting still objects handheld, try a minimum of double the focal length...i.e. 120mm....use 1/250" or faster. Turn off SR. I would only use SR if you had to shoot handheld with slower shutter speeds.

Fifth: The 28-105mm kit lens is an excellent lens. Most kit lenses are underrated by users. They are usually paired with the camera because they are cost effective but produce excellent results. The 70-200mm is also an excellent zoom that gives you more range and is sharper than the kit lens at 105mm.

Six: Shoot RAW and use unsharp mask or a high pass filter to enhance your image sharpness.

Last: If your holy grail is sharpness, then you must convert to Primism. I am a believer. Solid tripod and discover the power of pixel shifting. Keep Calm and Carry Prime.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:03 PM ----------

THIS thread is awesome.. great tips.. and better than the very poor manual.. thanks all. And PF.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:00 PM ----------

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:02 PM ----------

.. lol.. nevermind. I get it.