Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,153
Plenty of great advice in this thread. The best thing you can do now is practice. None of us are as good as our gear, remember that.
Good luck!

07-04-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,132
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Plenty of great advice in this thread. The best thing you can do now is practice. None of us are as good as our gear, remember that.
Good luck!
Perfect advice, Mike. I was starting to think how this long list of answers and the insider bickering was just going to confuse the beginner even more. You gave good, crisp advice which is, in the end, all any of us can do to improve.
07-04-2018, 07:56 AM   #33
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
Manual focus. K1mii.. ?
How do you determine the target is in focus? Is it by Eye only? Is there a setting for the hexagon in the viewfinder to illuminate?
07-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,132
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Manual focus. K1mii.. ?
How do you determine the target is in focus? Is it by Eye only? Is there a setting for the hexagon in the viewfinder to illuminate?
Yes to both but the most reliable manual focus is with the LV and magnification.

07-04-2018, 08:01 AM   #35
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes to both but the most reliable manual focus is with the LV and magnification.
What is the setting to turn on the hexagon in manual focus under phase detection?
07-04-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,132
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
What is the setting to turn on the hexagon in manual focus under phase detection?
Hold down the AF button while you focus. (or half press the shutter if you do not use back button focus).
07-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #37
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Hold down the AF button while you focus. (or half press the shutter if you do not use back button focus).
Thank you. Perfect.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 11:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Yes to both but the most reliable manual focus is with the LV and magnification.
Not sure what you mean by magnification? Do I take that to mean "zoom", or some other setting?
07-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 6,132
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Thank you. Perfect.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 11:41 AM ----------


Not sure what you mean by magnification? Do I take that to mean "zoom", or some other setting?
In LV press the center button VOILA magnification.

07-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
In LV press the center button VOILA magnification.
Woah.. viola. Is right. Thanks Mikesul.
07-04-2018, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,360
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
Woah.. viola. Is right. Thanks Mikesul.
And you can change the magnification with the rear thumb wheel, and if you turn on "focus peaking", you will get a crisp white outline of the objects/areas in focus.
07-04-2018, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,347
Well, AF has been many times under hard discussion. it is true tht LV is best to really be sure.
here is just couple quick ones hand held 1/8 second SR on to me it looks great.

70 mm

115mm


and one out and wild snap shot
200mm


If you don't like me posting these here. just let me know, I'll delete them.

oh, and as edit note, they are @ f2.8 all

Last edited by repaap; 07-04-2018 at 09:27 AM.
07-04-2018, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,360
And as has been touched on, get your shutter speed up. If you are trying to freeze leaves in a scene, if there's a breeze, you may well find you need much higher speeds, like 1/2000 or more. Find a new test scene and if needed to get speed up, try an ISO around 400, do a series of shots picking the same focus point, and stop them down as you go. You'll soon start to pick out the sweet spot of the lens. You can do the same thing changing ISO and shutter speed to see how them come into play, and if you want to get real "scientific", you'll even pick some standard scenes you will shoot with all your lenses as you get them e.g, front of the house, neighbor's chimney, etc. And fill your frame with something like the front of a building, and you can start moving around the frame and see where sharpness falls off, or x lens renders the gutter in the top right corner better than y lens - position yourself so you get the same frame coverage when doing the shots. Also, you can set 1/3 EV steps under the C section of the menu setup. This can be nice when you want to just nudge the ISO up a little and are trying to minimize noise but need a bit more speed for stability.
07-04-2018, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well, AF has been many times under hard discussion. it is true tht LV is best to really be sure.
here is just couple quick ones hand held 1/8 second SR on to me it looks great.

70 mm

115mm


and one out and wild snap shot
200mm


If you don't like me posting these here. just let me know, I'll delete them.

oh, and as edit note, they are @ f2.8 all
Those are really sharp Images
07-04-2018, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,788
Iíll be a little contrarian...

Leave the tripod at home and go find a bright day and a sporting event with bright uniforms... 🙂

-Eric
07-04-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 64
THIS thread is awesome.. great tips.. and better than the very poor manual.. thanks all. And PF.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First: Anyone saying zoom and razor sharp in the same sentence is over stating the sharpness other than perhaps relative to other zooms they've used.

Second: As most have already stated, you'll want to avoid the extreme range of the aperture. f/2.8 and you'll have shallow depth of field plus soft corners and edges. At f/22 you'll be suffering with diffraction. Next time try f/8, f/9.5, f/11.

Third: If you are after sharpness, generally avoid the extreme range of the focal length. So instead of 70mm or 200mm, try 105, 120, 135mm.

Fourth: Eliminate any possibility of blur. If you are shooting still objects handheld, try a minimum of double the focal length...i.e. 120mm....use 1/250" or faster. Turn off SR. I would only use SR if you had to shoot handheld with slower shutter speeds.

Fifth: The 28-105mm kit lens is an excellent lens. Most kit lenses are underrated by users. They are usually paired with the camera because they are cost effective but produce excellent results. The 70-200mm is also an excellent zoom that gives you more range and is sharper than the kit lens at 105mm.

Six: Shoot RAW and use unsharp mask or a high pass filter to enhance your image sharpness.

Last: If your holy grail is sharpness, then you must convert to Primism. I am a believer. Solid tripod and discover the power of pixel shifting. Keep Calm and Carry Prime.
What is "convert to prism" ?

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First: Anyone saying zoom and razor sharp in the same sentence is over stating the sharpness other than perhaps relative to other zooms they've used.

Second: As most have already stated, you'll want to avoid the extreme range of the aperture. f/2.8 and you'll have shallow depth of field plus soft corners and edges. At f/22 you'll be suffering with diffraction. Next time try f/8, f/9.5, f/11.

Third: If you are after sharpness, generally avoid the extreme range of the focal length. So instead of 70mm or 200mm, try 105, 120, 135mm.

Fourth: Eliminate any possibility of blur. If you are shooting still objects handheld, try a minimum of double the focal length...i.e. 120mm....use 1/250" or faster. Turn off SR. I would only use SR if you had to shoot handheld with slower shutter speeds.

Fifth: The 28-105mm kit lens is an excellent lens. Most kit lenses are underrated by users. They are usually paired with the camera because they are cost effective but produce excellent results. The 70-200mm is also an excellent zoom that gives you more range and is sharper than the kit lens at 105mm.

Six: Shoot RAW and use unsharp mask or a high pass filter to enhance your image sharpness.

Last: If your holy grail is sharpness, then you must convert to Primism. I am a believer. Solid tripod and discover the power of pixel shifting. Keep Calm and Carry Prime.
What is "convert to prism" ?

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
THIS thread is awesome.. great tips.. and better than the very poor manual.. thanks all. And PF.

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:00 PM ----------


What is "convert to prism" ?

---------- Post added 07-04-18 at 02:02 PM ----------


What is "convert to prism" ?
.. lol.. nevermind. I get it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, autofocus, button, camera, depth, f2.8, field, focus, image, iso, k-mount, k1 mk ii, kit, lens, pentax 70-200 f/2.8, pentax lens, photos, range, sharpness, shutter, slr lens, sr, subject, test, time, wall
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help - Am I a Pixel Peeping Paranoid Pentaxian ppeter Pentax K-3 30 12-28-2013 10:17 AM
Paranoid about my lens :) mom2mny Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 05-11-2011 06:42 PM
"Say Cheese!" But what else do you say? Ira Photographic Technique 18 07-22-2010 07:33 AM
Paranoid or legimately concerned? T_MB Photographic Technique 18 09-02-2009 06:49 AM
It's officially paranoid time! straightshooter Photographic Technique 2 07-25-2008 03:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top