Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Short version: Shop for an F or FA 28mm f2.8. That's my advice. Size, quality, pricing, AF accuracy, color rendering, I think they're what you want.

07-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Justin.APR Quote
Yeah I guess I considered it street photography in the sense that I am walking around downtown streets taking photos when something catches my eye. Would it be more walkaround photography?
Yeah, probably.

07-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Short version: Shop for an F or FA 28mm f2.8. That's my advice. Size, quality, pricing, AF accuracy, color rendering, I think they're what you want.
I think too slow, Pres.

If he wanted f2.8 he could do that with a zoom.

07-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
haha well unfortunately there aren't a lot of newer options for the Pentax K mount like we see on other brands to fill this void.
I can't say regarding other brands. I don't shop unless my kit is causing pain. If you are suggesting the absence of an 24mm f/1.4 in the line-up, that is supposed to be coming in a year or so. I expect that it will be a great performer at f/8. The FA 35/2 is works fine for street in FF and is current product.

Steve

07-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the V1 Sigma 30/1.4. Never noticed color fringing with it. The minimum focus distance is terrible, and the corners are always trash, but for shooting people indoors, it’s great. Also great in low light with any moderately large subject (because of the poor MFD). They are inexpensive to try.
07-06-2018, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah I guess I considered it street photography in the sense that I am walking around downtown streets taking photos when something catches my eye. Would it be more walkaround photography?
Street photography is a defined genre. I do know what you are describing, though. It is what comes from organized "photo walks" and I do it too. It is a form of urban landscape with incidental wildlife in the frame. As for new Pentax lenses vs. the Samyang 24mm...I expect that the fast wide angle in the pipeline is probably going to be largish.

Steve
07-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put an F 28 f2.8 up against most any zoom at f2.8. What's going to match it in sharpness, the Sigma 18-35? D-FA 24-70? They're huge in comparison and way more money. To me street is small lens, discrete package, etc. On the K-1 it's a bit better, where the FA 43 makes a normal view, or the 40XS/40 Ltd twins and their tiny size, but on crop it's not so easy.

What's your suggestion?

07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Put an F 28 f2.8 up against most any zoom at f2.8. What's going to match it in sharpness, the Sigma 18-35? D-FA 24-70? They're huge in comparison and way more money. To me street is small lens, discrete package, etc. On the K-1 it's a bit better, where the FA 43 makes a normal view, or the 40XS/40 Ltd twins and their tiny size, but on crop it's not so easy.

What's your suggestion?
Look at what he said and his samples, Pres ... subject isolation and bokeh are being valued.

He wants a *fast* lens.

He is currently shooting at f1.4 at 24mm.

F2.8 is a full two stops slower.

I've already made my suggestions.
07-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, sometimes people ask for something, and you ignore their constraints as you don't feel they really match what the overarching question was.

Why hasn't anyone suggested an A or K 50 1.2, or Tomioka 55 1.2? Turn those backgrounds into mush! If the real ask was for a hand-held bokeh cannon, well, that's where I'd go, f 1.2.
07-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You know, sometimes people ask for something, and you ignore their constraints as you don't feel they really match what the overarching question was.

Why hasn't anyone suggested an A or K 50 1.2, or Tomioka 55 1.2? Turn those backgrounds into mush! If the real ask was for a hand-held bokeh cannon, well, that's where I'd go, f 1.2.
I would rather not ignore their question.

Especially if it's doable.

And it is.

The 50mm on APS-C does not give him the field of view he wants. It's too long.

Double what he's thinking of.
07-06-2018, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well for crop something wide like a second hand Sigma EX 20mm f1.8 might be a good fit (see: Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF RF Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database)
I have one and use it on FF (K-1) and its not too bad but softer on one side / corner - but over the crop frame it would be much better I think. And it has very close focus capability which is fun:

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 07-07-2018 at 03:40 AM.
07-06-2018, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I was going to buy the 21 Ltd I ended up getting the GR instead. Think of it as a lens with a camera attached. Considering the price of a good lens you're getting a free camera.
07-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I have one and use it on FF (K-1) and its not too bad but softer on one side / corner - but over the crop frame it would be much better I think.
But that would just be the copy you own, Jono … not part of the design!
07-07-2018, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But that would just be the copy you own, Jono … not part of the design!
Quite right but QC problems do seem to be a feature of many of the Sigma lenses of the period!
07-07-2018, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Quite right but QC problems do seem to be a feature of many of the Sigma lenses of the period!
I have three Samyang primes ... very brave of me, I think!