Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Oh I definitely think those are separate things. The find and the acquisition is separate but just as enjoyable as "photography," which itself in my mind is two separate things... taking images and making images. The taking part is probably what I enjoy most of the three... carrying and using the camera for the tactile and artistic idea in my mind at that moment, whether executed successfully or not. When successful, it's even more pleasurable, but even when the result sucks, I still had fun trying.

Now, back to LBA...
Right on with your analysis, jcdoss. It is exactly what I was thinking. Yes VIVA LBA!

07-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I find I am happiest just leaving one lens on the camera and going out to shoot with just that. Yet my photography desk is overflowing, forcing me to change lenses from time to time. I am beginning to wonder if the joy of photography itself is a separate pleasure from whatever it is that drives me to pick up new lenses. clearly professionals or well focused amateurs will have a different view.
I'm very much in your bracket here. I love trying out lenses to see their character or qualities, but only have a few that I actually stick with for any excursions. My most recent buy was a Samyang 135/2. Absolutely outstanding sharpness. And I've already committed to sending it to one of my tog friends in exchange for a huge bunch of assorted kit. It's weird but I get the feeling I'll buy another copy of the same lens in the future.
07-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I'm very much in your bracket here. I love trying out lenses to see their character or qualities, but only have a few that I actually stick with for any excursions. My most recent buy was a Samyang 135/2. Absolutely outstanding sharpness. And I've already committed to sending it to one of my tog friends in exchange for a huge bunch of assorted kit. It's weird but I get the feeling I'll buy another copy of the same lens in the future.
That Samyang 135/2 has received a lot of good press.
07-08-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I find I am happiest just leaving one lens on the camera and going out to shoot with just that. Yet my photography desk is overflowing, forcing me to change lenses from time to time. I am beginning to wonder if the joy of photography itself is a separate pleasure from whatever it is that drives me to pick up new lenses. clearly professionals or well focused amateurs will have a different view.
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Oh I definitely think those are separate things. The find and the acquisition is separate but just as enjoyable as "photography," which itself in my mind is two separate things... taking images and making images. The taking part is probably what I enjoy most of the three... carrying and using the camera for the tactile and artistic idea in my mind at that moment, whether executed successfully or not. When successful, it's even more pleasurable, but even when the result sucks, I still had fun trying.

Now, back to LBA...
I also agree that they're separate things. I love collecting but if I go out with only one lens it's almost always a standard prime (50-55mm for 135 film, 75mm for 645 or 28-35mm for APS-C) but I love having a choice of which one to go with on a particular day, often inspired by what others here or elsewhere might have posted recently with the same or similar lens.

07-10-2018, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I also like to take one lens, today's is a Mir 1b. I spent an hour last light fashioning a neoprene collar for it, to stop light sneaking in through the adapter. I like the way that using a single prime lens makes you think more about composition. It also helps to get to know it. I try to use all the lenses at some point but some just get more use than others because they are just so nice (mir, Helios 44, Zeiss pancolar, takumars etc.). Yesterday I tried my first purchase of the week, a steinheil munchen edixa cassar 50mm which was disappointing. It has a bit of haze but is quite a quirky little lens so I will either have to find out how to strip it or find someone who will do it, cheap. Last night I added to my collection with an auto- Mamiya sekor 50mm. My slight concern about that one is that some have a wide flange and won't fit on my camera but hopefully that doesn't include the old, manual M42s. Tonight I am hunting Yashinon! Wish me luck
07-10-2018, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Last night I added to my collection with an auto- Mamiya sekor 50mm. My slight concern about that one is that some have a wide flange and won't fit on my camera but hopefully that doesn't include the old, manual M42s. Tonight I am hunting Yashinon! Wish me luck
The old Yashinon and Mamiya/Sekor are all Tomioka's. Some examples are practically identical.
If you don't mind to use single coated lenses, the old chrome nose objectives of both brands are my favorites. Especially the cheap six-elements 2/50mm's, that are sharp enough wide open and give a butter smooth bokeh. No swirl or soap bubbles, just a very sweet out of focus rendition..
When you mention possible Mamiya Sekor problems, I guess you refer to the SX series, which has a pin and a diaphragm ring protruding at the back of the lens. With Pentax DSLR cameras you need to work the lens at the lathe, removing the pin and shortening the diaphragm ring, so that the mating surface will have the right register.
All previous Auto Mamiya/Sekor lenses are perfectly compatible... and great value, IMHO.

I suggest to clean your Cassar, if it's hazy. It's an interesting little lens.
Don't expect good contrast and flare resistance, though.
Use a hood and carefully avoid strong light sources, unless shaded by the hood. The lens is very prone to flare, but in controlled lighting conditions it has a lovely OOF rendering, and the typical smoothness of most triplets.
BTW, I love triplets!
Unfortunately the Cooke triplet design is very picky about glass positioning. With double gauss designs, slightly unscrewing the back of the objective would affect the optimization of the optic (infinity Vs close up), but a similar alteration would deeply affect a triplet design. The positioning of the central element is especially critical.
The front element is less fuzzy, it was used to control focusing (as in many triplets for folding cameras, and the Iscotar 50mm for M42 reflex cameras).
All this to say that I would refrain from buying battered triplets, or those showing DIY repair attempts (damaged screws, scratched retaining rings, etc).

Regarding LBA, my rationalization of this issue is: "I 'collect' large format lenses and I 'use' PK/M42 ones".
With at least 350 optics readily usable on my Pentax DSLR cameras, excluding duplicates and "project" lenses, I guess I should reword 'use' in 'I hope I'll find the time to use (before next reincarnation)'.
I have no guilty feelings buying, but it seems I have huge problems selling.
I still have to find the resolve to sell at least the duplicates!
The only lenses I've sold in the last 20 years were high value items I wish I had kept for myself, especially because I have always been talked into selling them way below market prices. I care very much about finding new loving hands for my beloved old glasses... so money is not the main concern, and all this becomes a good excuse to postpone sales indefinitely
I will try soon to sell some, I have to cause I'm moving to a much smaller place.

Cheers

Paolo

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 07-10-2018 at 05:09 AM.
07-10-2018, 04:54 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . hence the thread. It will be interesting to see who enters the confessional
my " confession "

first, I have almost completely turned over my camera equipment in the last 18 - 24 months with the exception of a bridge camera [ Nikon coolpix p610 ] bought in the Spring of 2016 and a point and shoot [Canon Powershot A1100 IS ] purchased prior to 2011. I have been lucky enough to find good " experienced " equipment at good prices, a lot of them from the market place and good sales for the new stuff

I have: K 3 and K 3II and

SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
SMC DA * 300mm F4 ED (IF ) SDM

HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW

Second, I have " collected " for my perceived " needs ":

wide angle, field of view similar to film 35 lenses, macro, telephoto, maximum aperture, perceived quality - limited and star lenses

so I don't have an extreme collection

yet

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-10-2018 at 05:26 AM.
07-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
The old Yashinon and Mamiya/Sekor are all Tomioka's. Some examples are practically identical.
If you don't mind to use single coated lenses, the old chrome nose objectives of both brands are my favorites. Especially the cheap six-elements 2/50mm's, that are sharp enough wide open and give a butter smooth bokeh. No swirl or soap bubbles, just a very sweet out of focus rendition..
When you mention possible Mamiya Sekor problems, I guess you refer to the SX series, which has a pin and a diaphragm ring protruding at the back of the lens. With Pentax DSLR cameras you need to work the lens at the lathe, removing the pin and shortening the diaphragm ring, so that the mating surface will have the right register.
All previous Auto Mamiya/Sekor lenses are perfectly compatible... and great value, IMHO.

I suggest to clean your Cassar, if it's hazy. It's an interesting little lens.
Don't expect good contrast and flare resistance, though.
Use a hood and carefully avoid strong light sources, unless shaded by the hood. The lens is very prone to flare, but in controlled lighting conditions it has a lovely OOF rendering, and the typical smoothness of most triplets.
BTW, I love triplets!
Unfortunately the Cooke triplet design is very picky about glass positioning. With double gauss designs, slightly unscrewing the back of the objective would affect the optimization of the optic (infinity Vs close up), but a similar alteration would deeply affect a triplet design. The positioning of the central element is especially critical.
The front element is less fuzzy, it was used to control focusing (as in many triplets for folding cameras, and the Iscotar 50mm for M42 reflex cameras).
All this to say that I would refrain from buying battered triplets, or those showing DIY repair attempts (damaged screws, scratched retaining rings, etc).

Cheers

Paolo
My cassaron is nice, or will be. I like the little touches like the window that tells you if you are in auto or manual. I also have a cassar that is tiny, quirky and tremendous there is also an e Ludwig in the post, but my expectations are not high lol.

Re the mamiya. I have posted. Pic. Is this one of the tomiokas? If so, I think it is my first

Attached Images

07-10-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My cassaron is nice, or will be. I like the little touches like the window that tells you if you are in auto or manual. I also have a cassar that is tiny, quirky and tremendous there is also an e Ludwig in the post, but my expectations are not high lol.

Re the mamiya. I have posted. Pic. Is this one of the tomiokas? If so, I think it is my first
My copy is a much later serial #, 207xxx. The A/M switch is metal (or perhaps it just lost the plastic part), the aperture ring is black plastic. The filter ring is black too.
07-10-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update, i just grabbed a Yashika auto Yashinon DX 50mm f1.7 for 30

LBA rocks

Another reason lba is the dogs, tomorrows lens of choice is a 60yo Takumar 55mm f2. I am very excited

Last edited by Cerebum; 07-10-2018 at 03:16 PM.
07-11-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

It is.
I have the same.
A later version, that is all black but the chrome nose, is almost identical to the Auto Yashinon DX version.
Tomioka-made f/1.2 and f/1.4 55mm's are highly praised, and with good reasons I'd say, but slower fifties don't get the same appreciation. It's good news for those who buy them, as the prices are still very affordable.
If I had to find a fault, I'd say that the build is slightly inferior to contemporary Takumar objectives. Most Takumars are still smooth and precise like when they were new. Auto Yashinon and Auto Mamiya/Sekor lenses are well built but sometimes are a bit wobbly or need helicoid re-greasing.
Maybe I'm a bit too picky, Super and Super-Multi-Coated Takumars are among the better built lenses ever
I love the all-metal construction!

07-11-2018, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm in a quandary, DFA*50/1.4 or A*135/1.8? If you had to choose between both what would you do?
07-11-2018, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
join the club - LBA is raising its ugly head

the best in its class - SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS or the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

I know the build is different plastic vs. metal

but as far as I know, the optics are the same except for the blades are rounded on the XS

and the XS is smaller and lighter

and the Limited has " quick shift " a scale, a better cap, hood and it has that word ; " Limited "

and I already have the XS

and I just got my " experienced " SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro last month

but

there is a SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited in the US for what I think is a great price in the Market Place

quick, some one buy it now, so I can end my dilemma
07-11-2018, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today didn't turn out to be takumar day because I got an e Ludwig meretor 50mm f2.8 lump of metal strangeness through the post. It took me a while to work out how the aperture ring works but once I did I was off. I have to say it looks rather cool on the front of my K30 and using it was great fun. Add "the quirkyness of different lenses" to the list of "reasons for LBA. I don't really care if it is soft in the corners because the pleasure of this lens is in using it
Attached Images

07-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It is.
I have the same.
A later version, that is all black but the chrome nose, is almost identical to the Auto Yashinon DX version.
Tomioka-made f/1.2 and f/1.4 55mm's are highly praised, and with good reasons I'd say, but slower fifties don't get the same appreciation. It's good news for those who buy them, as the prices are still very affordable.
If I had to find a fault, I'd say that the build is slightly inferior to contemporary Takumar objectives. Most Takumars are still smooth and precise like when they were new. Auto Yashinon and Auto Mamiya/Sekor lenses are well built but sometimes are a bit wobbly or need helicoid re-greasing.
Maybe I'm a bit too picky, Super and Super-Multi-Coated Takumars are among the better built lenses ever
I love the all-metal construction!
I got the Yashinon 50mm f1.7!!!!!!

you, the of reviewers and Theo the angry photographer were all on the money when you said it is so beautifully sharp. I hope I can do it justice. Two things I found, 1) using f1.7 even on a dull day gets you silly shutter speeds, and b) at f1.7 the DoF is as narrow as a cigarette paper! What a lens. Mine was 32 plus postage and I would recommend it to anyone. I will probably go to my grave with it clutched in an eternal loving embrace *sigh!*