Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Why does anyone collect anything? I know people who collect souvenir spoons, plates (my dad had quite a collection from Franklin Mint), I bet there are Americans on this forum with a basement full of firearms, I had an uncle who collected and restored old tractors. I peripherally know a group of guys who collect old British sports cars.
Then there are stamp collectors and coin collectors.
It’s all just hobbies.
I collect lenses, though to a far lesser extent than others on this forum. It’s a fairly innocuous and harmless pastime.

07-13-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry three lenses unless I’m doing something that requires specific lenses.

Collecting is about learning the history of the subject matter, identifying the subset most attractive to collect, and then it’s all about the pursuit. I like SMC Pentax lenses and contemporary accessories, but I don’t have a fetish to find all of them.For instance, I’d rather find a K15/3.5AL than one of the shift lenses. I don’t care about the zooms. I don’t care about the f/4 lenses, just the fast ones. I don’t need pristine because I want to use them, but I like clean and bright. Etc. Limits are part of the game.

I know a man who collected several thousand opera marquee posters over his lifetime. Lots of people collect movie marquee posters, but Opera posters? He just donated them to a University - it is the largest and most significant collection of its kind in the world and considered an important historical record.

Seriously? Opera posters? He knows just about everything there is to know about Opers posters.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-13-2018 at 07:22 PM.
07-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I was weak

I am now awaiting some deliveries:

an experienced smc Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited and

the cap for a Pentax 21mm Limited lens which should fit the 40mm since they both use a 49mm filter

better luck to you guys in dealing with LBA

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-14-2018 at 04:14 AM.
07-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I have just found out that the Australian government is charging me 10% on purchase
Yes, and thats a shame as theres lots of nice gear in Japan and Ukraine/Russia.

07-14-2018, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, and thats a shame as theres lots of nice gear in Japan and Ukraine/Russia.
Our Government has no morals - money grabbing thieves on so many levels and we allow it!
07-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Thieves and liars.
07-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Try the UK! 20% Vat, 3% import duty over £140 and an £8 fee from the carrier

B***ards

07-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious, do you folks from the UK, EU or Australia get charged the import duties on every purchase if it's over the minimum amount allowed from abroad, or is it random?

In Canada it's random and mostly depends on how busy the customs agents are. The best time to order photo gear is around Xmas as they are swamped with parcels and let most items through, even though they are hundreds of dollars over the minimum limit. Summer is another good time when it's vacation season for most people.

The question is for items via your countries postal system, couriers always ding you the duties and broker fees as that's how they make money.

Phil.
07-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Just curious, do you folks from the UK, EU or Australia get charged the import duties on every purchase if it's over the minimum amount allowed from abroad, or is it random?
I live in Spain and all the Taks and Ks that I buy come from european countries (mostly UK followed by Germany and France), so no import duties there.
The soviet lenses come from russian or ukranian sellers. Never paid a single cent in customs duties.
I am tempted to buy Taks from japanese sellers but I am not sure if I would be charged so I have never been brave enough to try.