Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Non Pentax Lenses on K1000

Hi Folks, hope you are all good.

I have a couple of K1000 and love shooting with them. All my lenses are SMC 'M' or 'A' prime lenses - 28mm, 50mm, 85mm & 135mm. I was wondering if any of you have tried to attach any other lenses to this camera such as Voigtländer, Zeiss, Leica, Rokkor...I have never looked into this before and I am finding really difficult to find any info on this.

So far I have spotted the discontinued ZK lenses from Zeiss but nothing else really. I am not doubting about the quality of these - you can buy them on ebay - but find them quite bulky and huge!

Does any one have any experience using other(s) - apart from Pentax or Takumar? And if so, what type of adapter have you used if needed? Essentially I am trying to learn about which of the best high-end lenses can be used in this wonderful toy! Hope you can help.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Daniel

07-08-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nearly every major third party lens seller supported K-mount back in the day. As long as to has an aperture ring it will work.

Tamron Adaptall with a PK adapter of course. T4 only had a M42 adapter, but Vivitar TX had a K-mount adapter (very hard to find).

Leica R can be adapted with a Leitax adapter. It's a lens conversion.

Leitax also makes an adapters for Contax C/Y mount Zeiss lenses as well a Nikon F mount Zeiss lenses & some Nikon lenses. They also make an adapter for most first party Olympus OM lenses.

Non AI Nikon lenses can be force fit.

Contax/Yashica C/Y can be mounted with a destructive modification. Same with Olympus OM if Leitax doesn't support the lens.

Minolta SR, Canon FD, Konica K/AR all have shorter focal flange distances. Adapters need optical correction for infinity focus and become short tele-converters. If you take the glass out it is a short macro extension tube. Nikon F has a longer focal flange and needs a corrected adapter as well.

adapters for non-K-mount lenses to Pentax K-mount DSLRs: new dimensions for LBA - PentaxForums.com

Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

Olympus OM lens for Pentax cameras

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.
07-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar made a BUNCH of lenses with K-Mount - their Series ! lenses are particularly good. Here's a link for some info on their Series 1 70-210 lenses - Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography.

Happy hunting!
07-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All K-mount lenses having an aperture ring should work on a K1000. There may be rare exception*, but give that the K-series bodies are the archetype for K-mount, any responsible maker will design to fit and work with those bodies at minimum.

Steve

*I have never heard of compatibility issue with 70s/80s vintage standard K-mount cameras, but that doesn't mean none exist.

07-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's a site that list's most* of the 3rd party brands that made K-mount lenses: Lens Database

*Note "most" because I'm sure there are alot of lenses that aren't listed, especially rebadged lenses from no-name brands.
07-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danielcollada Quote
Hi Folks, hope you are all good.

I have a couple of K1000 and love shooting with them. All my lenses are SMC 'M' or 'A' prime lenses - 28mm, 50mm, 85mm & 135mm. I was wondering if any of you have tried to attach any other lenses to this camera such as Voigtländer, Zeiss, Leica, Rokkor...I have never looked into this before and I am finding really difficult to find any info on this.

So far I have spotted the discontinued ZK lenses from Zeiss but nothing else really. I am not doubting about the quality of these - you can buy them on ebay - but find them quite bulky and huge!

Does any one have any experience using other(s) - apart from Pentax or Takumar? And if so, what type of adapter have you used if needed? Essentially I am trying to learn about which of the best high-end lenses can be used in this wonderful toy! Hope you can help.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Daniel
Many interesting M42 lenses were manufactured in the Former Soviet Union; these might be the best source of experimentation.
07-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielcollada Quote
I have never looked into this before and I am finding really difficult to find any info on this.
For starters, you need to consider mount compatibility, not brand compatibility. The two are often, but not always the same thing.
For example, Voigtlander has manufactured lenses in a number of different mounts including Pentax K, Canon EOS, Nikon AIS,
Leica M and many others.

Any K-mount lens will work on any K-mount camera body, though there are some restrictions depending on the body and lens,
(for example, auto-focus lenses can only be used as manual focus on a camera body that lacks auto-focus capability).

Most any M42 mount lens can be used on a K-mount body with the appropriate adapter.

Many other mounts can also be used on K-mount with the appropriate adapter, but some pairings may yield sub-par results.

Some mounts can not be adapted without performing major surgery on the lens, and even then, may not perform to a standard
that makes it worth the bother.

The best way to go about learning whether a given lens will work on K-mount is to know the mount of the lens, then do some
research with a concise internet search. For example:
nikon f-mount to k-mount
or, Leica R-mount to K-mount
or, T-mount to K-mount
or something more generic, like, adapt lens to K-mount

Here is a specific article you may find useful:
Introduction to Lens Mounts and Lens Adapters | B&H Explora

Lastly, if you know the specific lens and its mount and the body you wish to attach it to, you can post to the forums and you'll likely
get a useful 'yes' or 'no' or 'with provisions' response.

07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #8

Original Poster
Wow guys, thank you very much for your amazing response. I found your messages and links really useful. Thanks for the reading you just gave me for tonite

Best, Daniel