Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Do All M42 lenses work on Pentax with an adapter..

I've recently bidded on a load of m42 lenses, most of which are carl jeiss..

Will all of them work on my pentax ,provided i have a m42 adaptor..

"CARL ZEISS JENA FLEKTOGON 35mm f/2.8 M42" for example..will it work?

09-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Banned

there are some third party m42's that don't work, but not that many. if its m42 there is a 99.99% chance it will work. (I am talking about the pitch of the threads on the lens and being able to mount the lens.) The lens itself will work just fine with an an adapter once mounted =) however depending on how the particular lens's aperture mechanism works will determine how exactly you go about getting proper exposure, through either Av or a fully manual stop down method. there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and you would be smart to trust what most of the people here say but I know some of the guys over on the MFlenses forum Manual Focus Lenses :: Index have a wealth of knowledge about Zeiss lenses in particular.
09-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Yes, they will.
But it depends on lens how you will be able to use it. If the lens has Auto/Manual switch for aperture, you can manually adjust it. If it doesn't, you'll be able to use it only wide open, since Pentax cameras don't have a lever to press aperture pin on M42 lense.
09-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
If the lens has Auto/Manual switch for aperture, you can manually adjust it. If it doesn't, you'll be able to use it only wide open, since Pentax cameras don't have a lever to press aperture pin on M42 lense.
Can't i compose than set it to proper aperture and shoot?

09-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
Can't i compose than set it to proper aperture and shoot?
that's about what you'd have to do. if the Zeiss works like a later fully auto Takumar, you'd set the lens to manual, compose the shot, stop the lens down to the desired aperture, press either the 'green' or 'AE-L' button (depending on camera) to meter the light and take the photo. or you could stop it down first and set the camera to Av and just let the camera meter the light while you compose... of course that wont work with small apertures as you wouldnt be able to see what your trying to compose. of course if you use it wide open its easy. set it to Av and snap away.
09-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the previous posts have hinted, the lens must have the Auto/Manual switch to allow for fully manual diaphragm operation or be a manual diaphragm lens by design. The reason is not immediately obvious to users of K-mount bayonet lenses, but here it is:
The auto-diaphragm M42 lenses are wide open unless the little pin on the rear of the lens is depressed or the auto/manual switch is placed in the manual position! The M42/K-mount adapter does not perform this function nor will the camera body.
Most auto-aperture M42 lenses have the switch, but a few do not. The most famous recent exception is the Russian Zenitar-M 16/2.8.

Steve
09-15-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes they will all work - it comes down to the ease with which they work and how many features you lose with each example. Some lenses that don't have the A/M switch described above have a depth of field preview switch which you can hold down to take the shot - I have a couple of Zeiss lenses that are like that. Some M42 lenses on the other hand can be modified so that the pin is always pushed down even when there is nothing to push it down. I have a Quantaray like that as the spring opens the blades fully open otherwise. Case by case really. All good value for the money. Be careful of the extra Ricoh pin models - they work but can be a pita to get off the camera once you have put them on.
09-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Occasionally you might come across an M42 lens with a base wide enough that it interferes with the camera's flash housing. I need to use an extension tube to get my bellows far enough from the camera body that they will screw on and off, but that is sort of a special case.

09-15-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Be careful of the extra Ricoh pin models - they work but can be a pita to get off the camera once you have put them on.
I thought that was only a problem with K mount PK/R lenses? how would an m42 lens have this problem?
09-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

OOPS - Fair enough -I forgot we were talking M42 only and not backwards capability in general. tmb disease - (too many birthdays)
09-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Every M42 lens I've had or presently have allow me to shoot in Av mode, adjusting the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens. There's no need to use the green button or AE-L buttons on the camera. Just adjust the aperture ring and the camera does the rest. I have to use the EV comp to get the proper exposure since most M42 lenses seem to underexpose about 2 stops. +1.7 or +2.0 takes care of that...
09-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Every M42 lens I've had or presently have allow me to shoot in Av mode, adjusting the aperture using the aperture ring on the lens. There's no need to use the green button or AE-L buttons on the camera. Just adjust the aperture ring and the camera does the rest. I have to use the EV comp to get the proper exposure since most M42 lenses seem to underexpose about 2 stops. +1.7 or +2.0 takes care of that...
Yes, that has been my experience. I have few write ups on M42 lens and adapter in

There are several undocumented tricks that MAY correct the +1.7 to +2.0 Ev compensation and lost of focus trapping in M42 lens. They have to do with short circuit 1 to 2 of the the K mount 7 electrical contacts in the K mount. I will try to experiment, document and share with all.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 09-15-2008 at 11:09 AM.
09-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
Banned

I have to do a +2.0 EV comp with my S-M-C 135mm 3.5 and it doesn't touch any of the contacts on the mount.
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

My experience is that the green button does a more accurate reading as I can choose to pre read what I want and then adjust the image in the view finder and then shoot while the reading is still in memory. particularly for close ups and macros where the presence of a large dark or light area can fool the meter. Chimping and testing can get me a better reading in camera allowing more latitude in pp.
09-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Does the K200D have that problem? I know from experience that the K100D does, and always carried a roll of scotch tape and a bit of spare aluminum foil in my camera bag to fix the problem.

I haven't noticed the problem at all on the K20D, with the exception of absolute wide open shooting on my fastest lenses. Even then it doesn't take quite as much adjustment as the K100D did.