Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
buying a Sony A7 III instead. The main reasons for this consideration is that I really am kind of tired of traveling with big lenses
Finding Pentax's lenses too big and looking at Sony is adorable All the Sony lenses I've seen are huge.

You could consider either purchasing a Laowa 12mm F2.8, a relatively compact lens, or an APS-C camera and a few lenses for when you travel. This would be less expensive than switching systems, probably. It would also offer redundancy with your current setup and offer a truly compact solution. A K-S2 or KP would make a nice travel companion.

07-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I'm currently seriously thinking about abandoning my Pentax system and buying a Sony A7 III instead. The main reasons for this consideration is that I really am kind of tired of traveling with big lenses. Just bought a 15-30mm Pentax to cover the ultra wide angle range my 28-105mm can't cover. I'm convinced that this is an excellent lens, however, for traveling and constantly carrying it together with the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 all day long becomes more and more a burden for me.

I know that Pentax is about to introduce a shorter/lighter 70-200mm (f4) lens, which I appreciate. However, I would also like to see a trimmed version of the 15-30mm 2.8. Especially in wide angle, I don't really need f2.8. So a 15-30mm (or so) f4 would be a vital improvement which might hold me back from switching since my backpack could finally lose some weight.

Anyone out there who has read/heard something that hints into this direction? I see no reason why they should spare out this lens since all their competitors have a lighter ultra wide angle zoom within their product line.

Carrying a K-1 and an attached 70-200mm 2.8 or also the Pentax 15-30mm 2.8 via a PeakDesing camera strap isn't that much fun.

For one, going Sony isn't going to be really that small unless you have some compromises in lenses (and in some way performance)
Their high end lenses are not any smaller nor significantly lighter.
I would think that to use Sony and get smaller/lighter, you'd need a very custom set of lenses, sacrificing some aspects like f-stop, AF, edge issues, manual operation.
An example would be a Voigtlander 15/4.5 vIII, FE 28/2; FE55/1.8 and then the longer stuff don't really get small, perhaps the FE 70-200/4 (not small).
Another option, maybe FE 16-35/4 (smaller, but still kinda big esp vs the above using the voigtlander 15mm), FE 70-200/4.

The Pentax kit can get a bit smaller, though of course with their own set of sacrifices.
Eg. Laowa 12/2.8 (this is the smaller than any of the 14mm, 15mm options and at 12mm); DFA 28-105; Maybe a FA100-300 or Tamron 70-200 or FA/A 200mm prime
Personally, would not even carry a 70-200 type lens for travels, and use up to 135mm max, but I don't know what your subject matter is.

Last edited by pinholecam; 07-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.
07-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m in a similar situation as regards travel kit, though I’ve considered the Olympus OM-D series, rather than the Sony A7 series. The Sony systems are pretty expensive by comparison, and don’t seem to be that much lighter than the K-1 equivalents, body alone excepted. In the end, I’ve decided to wait and see what emerges in the APS-C Pentax body lineup, and possibly just take my K-3 with the DA*16-50 and 50-135 in the meantime. I found the DA18-135 an acceptable compromise when I wanted to travel very light, but I passed that lens on with my K-5 to one of my daughters.

As noted elsewhere, the K-3ii is well due for a replacement, and the Kp isn’t all that far behind it. As far as IQ goes, I’ve no problem with APS-C, but the facilities and features of the K-1 make it an easier camera to operate.

On a side note, I looked at the D FA15-30 and decided against it on the grounds of cost and weight, buying an Irix 15/2.4 to achieve the widest angle. At that FL on the K-1, AF is almost redundant.
07-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Ricoh assumes that apac is a better choice for size and wait, the next lense will be the da*11-18.

07-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh assumes that apac is a better choice for size and wait, the next lense will be the da*11-18.
I agree with this. I expect the full frame lenses coming to be larger and heavier, and based off all the manufacturers, this is what the industry is going to.

For lightweight travel, aps-c is the way to go, and likely will be in the foreseeable future.
07-09-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

The Sony 12-24/f4 is a relatively petite 565 grams, so you’re not crazy.
07-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want ultra-wide and weatherproof, the DFA15-30 is it, but if you can live with out weather sealing, the FA20 or FA20-35 are *much* lighter and smaller.

The other option might be to consider a "lesser" telephoto zoom, like one of the 55-300 variants with an embedded small fast prime like the DA*55 or DFA100WR. I've carried that combination on a couple of overseas trips and found it quite manageable.

It all depends on your priorities of course.

07-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #23

Original Poster
First, let me say thank you very much for all the insightful and helpful feedback you provided! I really appreciate this! Normally I use to reply to every single answer I get but in this case it will take me hours I guess .

So I try to summarize the thoughts that came up while reading all your valuable answers. Hopefully I don't miss too many of your points...

Maybe it's also useful to provide the "frame" for my pondering. I'm going back to Georgia (not US ) at the end of July and I really hope that I can continue my little report on this country that keeps fascinating me. Since my wife and a friend will also join me (both of them don't shoot), it's not only about photography. Still I hope to have enough time to take the pictures I want to take.
If you want to get an idea of this frame, just scroll through the pages here (just look at my postings (user: zeitlos)

Georgien (Kaukasus): Reise nach Eurasien - einige Eindrücke. ? Pentaxians

In case you are interested in the facts I provide in addition to the picture, maybe google translator function can help you.

In the following I will try to address some of the points you've made.

First, the majority of the pictures in this "blog" are taken with a Pentax APS-C camera using the 16-50mm 2.8 most of the time. I also had my 50-135mm 2.8 with me and some additional lenses like the three FA Limiteds for example. Weight was never an issue. Indeed, after some month with my K-1 I really considered going back to APS-C. However, the grip of the Pentax KP would never (not even with the largest one) fit my needs... unfortunately. Plus: SDM-issues with the to DA* lenses mentioned would bother me too much. A few month later I have decided that I won't go back to APS-C. Maybe it's stupid, since I really never missed something but currently I can't imagine to downgrade in terms of the sensor.

For this upcoming trip I bought a Lowepro Tactic 450AW to bring all the gear I need (or rather think I might need ) to Georgia.
Currently, the Tactic 450 will carry the K-1, a K-30 backup, a 28-105, 15-30, FA 43 Limited, FA 77 Limited, Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Besides I also have the following lenses
Samyang 20mm 1.8 (bought it a few month ago for ultra wide angle, however, I rather prefer zooms and I'm not really good at ultra wide angle shots...)
Pentax 24-70mm 2.8 (I took it once to a vacation in America (San Francisco/California etc.) but hardly ever used it. It's too bulky for me. Too heavy and too big diameter. I can't enjoy it while walking around. Also too heavy on the shoulder using a PeakDesign Strap on longer walks => so decided to not take it on vacation/photo trips anymore. Will use it deliberately when I have to shoot something like a family party or so when light conditions require f2.8...)
Pentax FA35 2.0 (sold my FA31 1.8 a few month ago for it since I hardly ever used it...)
Pentax DA* 200 2.8
Pentax F 135 2.8 (once considered it as a replacement for the Tamron 70-200, however, it's not as flexible as I need it in the situations where I use the Tamron I suppose => events; and my Tamron is an excellent copy, bloody sharp at f2.8 already)
Pentax M100 2.8
Pentax M50 2.8

This brings me to the next aspect. I roughly calculated how much I'd get for my equipment if sold, which would be about 5500 Euro. So this would enable a transition to Sony I guess.
I also did the math and calculated weight to compare both (actually three) systems:

Olympus M1 II + 12-24 f2.8 + 7-14 2.8 + 35-100 2.8 => 1750 g
Pentax K-1 + 28-105 + 15-30 + Tamron 70-200 => 3350 g
Sony A7 III + 24-105 f4 / 28-75 2.8 + 16-35 f4 + 70-200 f4 => 2500 g

In figures this 850 grams might not be worth all the trouble. But when I first held a A7 III with an 24-105mm f4 lens attached to it in my hands yesterday, I was astonished who perfect this combination is with respect to its weight/balance. That's what I was used to when shooting APS-C with my Pentax K-5/3... In addition, it would bring some advantages that one can't deny (focusing points actually covering the whole viewfinder, perfectly working eye-focus... => btw. will we ever see something like that in a Pentax? Is it possible to have it in a DSLR as well (focusing through the VF)?

Then again, Pentax wants to introduce a 70-200 f4. If it's around 850 g I'd loose 450g again so the Pentax gear would be something like 2900 g.
This raises the question if it's worth all the "trouble" switching systems then. When I can manage to replace my 15-30mm in a sensible way (best with a 15-30 f4) I will probably even match the Sony system in weight (but still miss some of it's advantages => when I read the comment of the user here that has both systems I had to draw the conclusion that actually I'm not really benefiting form the advantages the Pentax brings along since I don't need its higher resolution...). Btw. Thanks for the idea of using an APS-C wide angle lens instead. I appreciate the suggestion. However, I'm sure that I would find myself frustrated in the end since I won't be capable enough to manage it properly...

As you can see from my calculation. I've also thought about MfT, however, I'm not interested in losing image quality in low light conditions since when traveling I cannot always (or hardly ever ) influence those conditions.

Hm, I will read all your comments again. Maybe I'll be able to make a final decision anytime soon. It's interesting to see that I'm not the only one to suffer from the same shortcomings...

Thank you very much again for your contributions! I highly appreciate it and I'm sure I won't be the only one benefiting from your comments.

Edit: In addition to my Lowepro Tactic 450AW a few days ago I just bought a Tamrac Expedition 3. I wanted to have a small backpack where I can put my 70-200 and 15-30mm (plus maybe the FA77 1.8) inside since I've tried a should bag for that purpose finding that it's way to heavy to carry it around. It also enables me to include my Rollei Carbon Traveler tripod. (See pictures). I also have the PeakDesign Capture but I'm still struggling to use it with the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 / Pentax 15-30mm 2.8 => to heavy/lagre.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 

Last edited by zeitlos; 07-10-2018 at 01:17 AM.
07-10-2018, 02:41 AM   #24
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A current compact wideangle (prime or zoom) is the one thing I miss the most in Pentax' lens line-up. I make do with an old A20/2.8 for now. An FA20 or FA20-35, or even the old M20/4, are all possible alternatives if you can find them.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Since I started suffering from rheumatoid arthritis back in 2014 at the age of 45
I'm really sorry to hear that. Same with my mother, grandmother, uncle, and aunt. I'm 46 now and try not to think too much about it

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Suggesting a gym membership would be insulting to me, so I'm glad you avoided that
07-10-2018, 04:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I can sympathize with your plight, but advice is another thing.

I have a Samsung NX100 with 20-50mm that I take along on my commute in order to take pictures of interesting things and people that cross my path. Small, compact enough to live in a corner of my laptop bag, decent IQ. It does the job.

The thing is, I recently acquired a Samsung NX1 with the 16-50mm f/2.0-2.8 lens. I then made the 'mistake' of packing it instead of the NX100. This combo can be called a lot (mostly wonderful) things, but small is not one of them. It weighs in at over a kilogram. That is about two and a half pounds for the non-metric types. With my heavy but powerful Lenovo laptop also in the mix, the bag is becoming a pain in the back. Literally.

However, IQ is in a different league, especially in low light. The NX1 is still fine at ISO 6400 whereas the NX100 is struggling beyond ISO 1600. That is two stops. The 16-50mm is one and a half to two stops faster than the 20-50mm. It also has image stabilization, which is good for another two or three stops. All of this adds up.

I could put the 16-50mm on the NX100, or the 20-50mm on the NX1. Both options would reduce weight and retain some of the low light gains, but I haven't tried either one. For the moment I choose to suffer for my art.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NX1  Photo 
07-10-2018, 05:00 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Full Frame F4 primes gives you the same light gethering and IQ as the APS-C F2.8 primes. Yo If you can live with 24MP get a KP and the Sigma 17-50 F2.8 (or the DA*16-50 if WR is important), the Pentax DA*50-135 and the Sigma 10-20 F3.5. If you miss the F2.8 DoF, you can add an F2 or faster prime anytime.

The other solution is to get the FA20 or FA20-35 lenses, they has a very good reputation and they are small.
07-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
There is nothing like a 15-30 f4 on the lens roadmap. There's always a small chance of a surprise release, but it's much more likely that such a lens is a minimum of 3 years away, if ever.

Consider a Tamron 10-24. It covers the full K-1 sensor in the 15-24 range. It's a much lighter lens than the Pentax 15-30.
Are you certain the Tamron covers the the FF sensor? This is an aps-c lens DI II. None of the reviews or info I can find suggests that it will cover a full frame sensor. If your talking about crop mode what’s the purpose 15 mp resolution. The Sigma 12-24 is full frame if you can find a copy
07-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not get an Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 or the Sigma one ? There is also the Sigma 12-24 or 15-30 with sliding aperture. All weights between 400 and 600gr. It wil be substancialy lighter.
07-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm currently seriously thinking about abandoning my Pentax system and buying a Sony A7 III instead. The main reasons for this consideration is that I really am kind of tired of traveling with big lenses. Just bought a 15-30mm Pentax to cover the ultra wide angle range my 28-105mm can't cover. I'm convinced that this is an excellent lens, however, for traveling and constantly carrying it together with the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 all day long becomes more and more a burden for me.

I know that Pentax is about to introduce a shorter/lighter 70-200mm (f4) lens, which I appreciate. However, I would also like to see a trimmed version of the 15-30mm 2.8. Especially in wide angle, I don't really need f2.8. So a 15-30mm (or so) f4 would be a vital improvement which might hold me back from switching since my backpack could finally lose some weight.

Anyone out there who has read/heard something that hints into this direction? I see no reason why they should spare out this lens since all their competitors have a lighter ultra wide angle zoom within their product line.

Carrying a K-1 and an attached 70-200mm 2.8 or also the Pentax 15-30mm 2.8 via a PeakDesing camera strap isn't that much fun.
Agreed! I am playing the back nine holes on the course of life, and wishing for a caddy or nice cocktail cart! :-) A recent GAS attack put a dent in the kids’ inheritance, and the newer digital Olympus Pen-F and a couple primes landed in my smallest bag! OMG! The tech is amazing, and the lenses excellent! M43has a learning curve, but is way more convenient to haul around. I totally get the references to Pentax K1 and even the K3ii as field cameras. If you are considering a scaled down (size & weight) kit, give a look to micro-four thirds. I will likely keep the bigger kit, for a while, but the new smaller mirrorless bodies with IBIS etc are amazing!
07-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I carry my 28-105 and a Rokinon 14 2.8. That covers about everything. I also carry the DA*200, 1.4x and 1.7x TCs to keep weight down when necessary. The Rokinon 20mm might be better choice, but I just figure you can crop so much with the K-1 I'd go really wide then crop.