Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Since my wife and a friend will also join me
Surely you can get your wife and friend to carry the heavy stuff?

07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Buy yourself a Pentax KP for travel purposes. Keep the K-1 for when Full Frame is necessary. ( I'm not really sure it is but that is an argument for another time). I don't think it is the lens that is the problem but the format you are using.
My Sigma 8-16 is pretty big and I rarely carry it, so I'm not sure how much that helps. Maybe suing the pentax 12-24 would cut down the weight and size a bit.
07-10-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Full Frame F4 primes gives you the same light gethering and IQ as the APS-C F2.8 primes.
That's not quite accurate. The total light gathering ability of full frame is larger, but not exactly one stop larger. And since it's spread over a larger sensor (with pixels of a different size to boot), it is in fact irrelevant.
07-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's not quite accurate. The total light gathering ability of full frame is larger, but not exactly one stop larger. And since it's spread over a larger sensor (with pixels of a different size to boot), it is in fact irrelevant.
Exactly. With the same Depth of Field, same framing etc. they use exactly the same amount of light, as you have to increase the ISO to double to get the same depth of field. At ƒ4 the full frame has the same depth of field as the APS-c at ƒ2.8. The full frame lets in approx. half the light, which it spreads over twice as big an area. The light used on both is equal for images with equal DoF values.

07-10-2018, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm really sorry to hear that. Same with my mother, grandmother, uncle, and aunt. I'm 46 now and try not to think too much about it

Thanks It's just one of those things... I certainly don't let it get me down

I'm fortunate in that the RA rarely prevents me from using any of my equipment - even the heavier full frame and fast lens setup - at least for now. It's just how long I can use it for in one shoot that's limited, so these days I put more thought into what I'll be carrying, and I typically choose my APS-C gear for longer sessions. It's one heck of an incentive to be more efficient in equipment choices I do physio exercises at home every day, and I think that helps a little.

I sincerely hope you don't suffer from it, given your family history - but if you do, I'm sure you'll find a way. I'm particularly fond of that saying (of American origin, I believe), "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-10-2018 at 02:07 PM.
07-10-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

I'm currently seriously thinking about abandoning my Pentax system and buying a Sony A7 III instead. The main reasons for this consideration is that I really am kind of tired of traveling with big lenses. Just bought a 15-30mm Pentax to cover the ultra wide angle range my 28-105mm can't cover. I'm convinced that this is an excellent lens, however, for traveling and constantly carrying it together with the Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 all day long becomes more and more a burden for me.

I know that Pentax is about to introduce a shorter/lighter 70-200mm (f4) lens, which I appreciate. However, I would also like to see a trimmed version of the 15-30mm 2.8. Especially in wide angle, I don't really need f2.8. So a 15-30mm (or so) f4 would be a vital improvement which might hold me back from switching since my backpack could finally lose some weight.

Anyone out there who has read/heard something that hints into this direction? I see no reason why they should spare out this lens since all their competitors have a lighter ultra wide angle zoom within their product line.

Carrying a K-1 and an attached 70-200mm 2.8 or also the Pentax 15-30mm 2.8 via a PeakDesing camera strap isn't that much fun.
My entire Pentax collection is great for my travel purpose k-70, 15, 40, 70

Last edited by follansbee; 07-10-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: mistake
07-10-2018, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

I was having a quick look, The Sony with a 12-24, is vastly more compact than the K-1 and 15-30, and probably almost twice the price. But half the weight and bulk.

Compact Camera Meter

Attached Images

07-10-2018, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Ok.. I can now see that you are doing travel photos (and not wildlife).

I just feel that you are putting too much weight on your shoulders (pun intended)

I usually try to do with less and won't go longer than 135mm.
The typical kit being primes consisting of UWA, wide, normal, short tele.
Personally, I feel that there is always this concern that we miss out because a certain focal length is missing, but usually there will be other compositions that can be done with the lenses at hand.
Furthermore, the 36mp of the K1 allows a large amount of cropping for composition w/o a real use impact on the quality of the final image.

I did a New Zealand cycle tour just a few months back.
K1, Samyang 14, FA31ltd, FA77ltd. (Q7 as the selfie and grab shot camera) .
Really did not find that I'd need much more.
From Alps to Ocean - a cycling/photography log - PentaxForums.com

IMHO, Samyang 14mm or Laowa 12mm and a DFA28-105 would work really well as a travel kit.
07-11-2018, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly. With the same Depth of Field, same framing etc. they use exactly the same amount of light, as you have to increase the ISO to double to get the same depth of field. At ƒ4 the full frame has the same depth of field as the APS-c at ƒ2.8. The full frame lets in approx. half the light, which it spreads over twice as big an area. The light used on both is equal for images with equal DoF values.
This is accurate, but amazingly convoluted.

Trying to match images by discussing their total integrated gathered light serves no photographic purpose that I can see. We have the F-number to discuss and balance exposure between images.

At the end of the day, an APS-C image remains a crop of a Full-frame image (which is itself a crop of a circular image).
07-13-2018, 01:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Traveling with Sony current FF requires buying Loxia lenses if there is any gain to be had in such switch. Other small native lenses for the system lack pleasing rendering style excluding some new Voigtlanders. Batis lenses are Tamron made and while they appear sharp, they offer boring rendering qualities. GM-lenses are heavy bricks, no gain to be had in there.

Price is easily doubled compared to K-1 setup. And when you finally have the Sony, be prepared to purchase all kinds of wooden blocks and L-plates to make it almost ergonomic to hold for longer than 5 minutes.
07-13-2018, 02:14 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have taken the DFA15-30 on two recent overseas trips (the UK and Ireland in July 2016, and a cruise between China and Japan in August 2017). It will certainly be coming with me to Antarctica at the end of this year. Sure, it's heavy, but it covers a range of really useful focal lengths with image quality rivalling most primes, and I now have a filter system for it. The weather resistance and silent focus makes it unique for any lens wider than 24mm in the Pentax ecosystem.

Add a fast fifty and DFA100WR, and all but my serious telephoto needs are covered.
07-13-2018, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps this is not quite pertinent but when ever I read about problems with carrying weight, I wonder how it is being carried?

for example, I use a K 3 0r K 3 11, and I have large lenses to carry with it

- HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

Diam x Length 91.5 x 203 mm (3.6 x 8 in.)

Weight 1755 g (61.9 oz.), w/ Hood: +80g, w/ Tripod Foot: +191g

- HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW

Diam x Length 95 x 241.5 mm (3.7 x 9.5 in.)

Weight 2000 g (70.5 oz.), w/ Hood: +130g, w/ Tripod Foot: +195g

I use a sling system and a hand grip ( no need to id the manufacturers )

and the set up gets heavy as you can imagine

I find relief by varying how I carry the set up while keeping the sling over my shoulder at all times

perched over a shoulder,

cross body in the crook of the off arm

by the hand grip

by the shoulder strap

am I alone in doing that ??

perhaps such actions might be helpful to some?
07-16-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Other small native lenses for the system lack pleasing rendering style
I can't say how true that is across the board, but it's definitely true about the Sony 50 f2.8 Macro. One of the most talented photographers in my area switched from an Olympus E-M5 + 12-40/2.8 Pro to a Sony FF + 50/2.8. This photography showed me some of her floral compositions shot with both systems, and I was shocked to find the Olympus, with its significantly smaller sensor, clearly providing better results. The Sony images, although impressively sharp, looked flat and unnatural. Even the color was inferior. The problem with Sony is that they don't have a long tradition in photography, and that sometimes leads to an over-emphasis on numerical spec goals at the expense of subjective perceptual/aesthetic goals. Sony is great at providing high resolution wrapped in the latest tech, but they fall short when it comes to traditional photography values such as ergonomics, handling, camera design, and real image quality (i.e., what you see with you eyes rather than what can be measured on test charts),
07-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #44

Original Poster
Actually I cannot confirm this (pictures being flat etc.). I really like the Sony pictures I saw. Remind me a lot of Pentax. In contrast, even though lots of people are euphoric about Fuji and its colors, I've never been the biggest fan of them.
However, I liked the Sony colors from the beginning.

A very quick shot.

1) Sony A7 III FE85 1.8
2) Pentax K-1 FA77 1.8

Unfortunately not form the same angle etc. Sony was closer. Also, Pentax (well, no EVF) was underexposed. So I made it brighter by raising exposure in Apple Foto (normal Capture One is my program, but don't know why but it wouldn't import/display Sony RAWs, so I used Apple Photo as a quick replacement).

Sony lenses are really great. Sharp and very lovely bokeh. However, still I have to give the FA77 1.8 credit. Being from the film era, it kind of excels on the K-1.

What's your take?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-16-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Actually I cannot confirm this (pictures being flat etc.). I really like the Sony pictures I saw. Remind me a lot of Pentax. In contrast, even though lots of people are euphoric about Fuji and its colors, I've never been the biggest fan of them.
However, I liked the Sony colors from the beginning.

A very quick shot.

1) Sony A7 III FE85 1.8
2) Pentax K-1 FA77 1.8

Unfortunately not form the same angle etc. Sony was closer. Also, Pentax (well, no EVF) was underexposed. So I made it brighter by raising exposure in Apple Foto (normal Capture One is my program, but don't know why but it wouldn't import/display Sony RAWs, so I used Apple Photo as a quick replacement).

Sony lenses are really great. Sharp and very lovely bokeh. However, still I have to give the FA77 1.8 credit. Being from the film era, it kind of excels on the K-1.

What's your take?
Oh..so you already got the Sony?

It would have been a better comparison if the subjects are the same distance.
That said, any 85mm (f1.4-f2) is hard to beat in the shallow DOF and bokeh when used at about the half body focus distance.
The FA77ltd has to be seen for what it offers (ie. very small; all metal build, decent MF focusing ring, nice performance like older 50m)
I do think the Sony system with the cheaper FE28/2, FE50/1.8 and FE85/1.8 are great value for performance just like what Canon, Nikon can offer for these focal lengths.

I do like the colors from the Pentax more in the comparison.
Being 77mm and not 85mm, the 77ltd will lose out in the bokeh as the focus distance gets further, though it does vary depending on bkgnd type and distance.
The draw of the dog to me is better on the 77ltd too, maybe the higher contrast and deeper colors as well as the DOF from the shorter focal length and further focus distance.
All said though, if only in the context of the 2 photos, I do think the FE85/1.8 did better (though the variable of focus distance might have played a big influence)